Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Is a FW card reader worht it?

Is a FW card reader worht it?
Keda
Senior User
Jan 24, 2005, 04:55 PM

I'm getting a Digital Rebel and want to buy a good card reader for it. Is it worth the extra cash to get a FW reader over a USB?

Finrock
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2005, 09:43 PM

It really depends on the speed of your card. For low-speed CF cards, the FireWire reader didn't give me much of an advantage, but for my new high-speed card it sure is and advantage over USB.
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 12:32 AM

When I had a slow 256 MB CF card, it didn't matter whether my reader was usb or fw, but I recently bought a SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB CF card for by Rebel and decided to try shooting raw.

It was very slow to transfer pictures over usb, so I bought a SanDisk Firewire CF card reader. It is much faster than my usb 2.0 card reader.

Switching to a FW CF reader also freed up one of my usb ports allowing me to keep my my scanner and my ups connected to my mac all the time.

--ranga

spork
Jan 31, 2005, 01:57 PM

absolutely.
Get a sandisk firewire reader (www.jr.com, maybe 35 bucks) and enjoy. about the same speed as usb2, in my non scientific tests with some photographer friends, but the reader pulls free from the firewire cable, excellent when travelling or on location for emergencies and networking. Also starting two computers connected via firewire, hold down t key at startup and second unit becomes hard drive on desktop of running unit. all of this impossible via USB or USB2.
highly recommended

Forum Links
Forum Rules