Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Air Filter Question

Air Filter Question
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 12:24 PM

I always seem to buy houses with oddball AC filter sizes, and our current home has a 25x32 return opening. Needless to say, no one stocks such large filters (the good, pleated kind) in that size. For a while now, I've been buying 2 16x25 filters and using them (with a little rig I built to keep them together, etc.), but I'm wondering if that's really "okay" to do.

Anyone have any info on this?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Railroader
Banned
Sep 18, 2006, 01:35 PM

I think that's a good solution. Or you could simply tape the two filters together.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 01:53 PM

I had one size in my house inlet and one that slid into my air handler. inside the house I got one of those blue cut-to-size ones and just rinse it out every few months (just to keep dust out of the inlet), on the air handler I use a good pleated one since it is a standard size, perhaps you can do the same thing?

Alternatively online usually has the odd sizes readily available.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I always seem to buy houses with oddball AC filter sizes, and our current home has a 25x32 return opening. Needless to say, no one stocks such large filters (the good, pleated kind) in that size. For a while now, I've been buying 2 16x25 filters and using them (with a little rig I built to keep them together, etc.), but I'm wondering if that's really "okay" to do.

Anyone have any info on this?
Taping together is fine. Alternately, depending on your budget, your heating contractor can rebuild that segment to accomodate 'normal' sizes. But on retrofit, I prefer the electronic filters. Easily removed and washed as necessary.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 04:00 PM

You mean electrostatic permanent filters?

Also, I found some pleated filters for my AC at a local Mom and Pop hardware store! w00t!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2006, 04:04 PM

Also, I found some pleated filters for my AC at a local Mom and Pop hardware store! w00t!
Yes, electrostatic. Sorry I wasn't clearer on that.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 05:02 PM

i use the .30 cent filters.

design219
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 05:03 PM

I just had a unit installed that takes a 30x36 filter and the installers just tapes to 30x18 together and said it was the only, and accepted way for this unit. Works fine.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2006, 07:17 PM

Got duct tape? Then you're golden! There's no magic at all to it, you just want to have all the air go through the filter medium. Using somewhat smaller filters in tandem slightly reduces the filtration area, but not enough to be a real problem. You might be working the air handler a little more than you might otherwise, but that's not a really big deal.

By the way, most disposable filters that go beyond the low-cost flimsy ones also load the air handler a LOT. My power bill went WAY UP when I tried just the $10 "mid range" 3M filters, but when I went back to the 50 cent Ace Hardware filters, it went right back down.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Sep 18, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
By the way, most disposable filters that go beyond the low-cost flimsy ones also load the air handler a LOT. My power bill went WAY UP when I tried just the $10 "mid range" 3M filters, but when I went back to the 50 cent Ace Hardware filters, it went right back down.
You have to change the more expensive ones more often. Which may seem contrary to the added cost, but the health benefits are greater. We rarely have to dust the house anymore because most of the dust is caught in the filter. My wife and daughter don't suffer from allergies in the house at all anymore because of the lack of dust in the air and house.

We also run our furnace fan constantly and although that increased the energy bill a few dollars it also keeps the house more comfortable and cleaners/dust free as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 18, 2006, 09:58 PM

Interesting. How often do you change the expensive filters? Do they start causing more drag on the fan only when they start to get clogged?

We're planning to get rid of the carpeting and put in tile (or wood or both) because we have both pets and allergies. An effective filter system would really be a boon now.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 18, 2006, 10:06 PM

Interesting. How often do you change the expensive filters? Do they start causing more drag on the fan only when they start to get clogged?

We're planning to get rid of the carpeting and put in tile (or wood or both) because we have both pets and allergies. An effective filter system would really be a boon now.
No real set schedule. I check the sump pump, water softener, dehumidifier, furnace filters and water heater every couple weeks. If the filter looks bad I change it. I usually buy about 10-15 filters when I buy 'em. Don't get me started about water softener salt.

I was changing filter OFTEN, maybe ever two weeks, when we had two cats and two dogs. We're down to one dog now. I probably change filters every 2 months now.

This is the filter we use: http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/fi...412_micro.html

indigoimac
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 10:24 PM

I've been using 3m's Ultra Filtrete filters for about 2 or 3 years now, it's a single 16x25x1 and I change it at the recommended 3month intervals, it's amazing what a difference they make, I know that when I wake up all stuffy it means 3 months has passed(I do check the sticker first to make sure it really has been 3 months tho) I'm usually right. I don't think it puts all that much of a strain on my 1980's a/c system, it already guzzles electricity as it is, but it does an excellent job.

3M Filtrete
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 11:23 PM

You all are burning your money. Unless your house is built like a semi-airtight hospital, the 3m filters do nothing except raise your electric bill.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 18, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by baw
You all are burning your money. Unless your house is built like a semi-airtight hospital, the 3m filters do nothing except raise your electric bill.
You're right! How could I have been sooo easily fooled by the marketing.

I am not certain my wife and I are imagining how much less dust is in our house and how much less my wife and daughter's allergies are. It's simply the placebo effect.

Thank you for you all knowing wisdom concerning my house and families health.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 01:05 AM

Might as well get an Ionic Breeze.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 07:32 AM

Spare us, baw. You obviously know nothing about it. Maybe we should all send you our full air filters and let you see what they're trapping?

ANYWAY, with the full size filter in place, I'm noticing a LOT less drag on the system as with 2 small filters.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 19, 2006, 07:55 AM

Spare us, baw. You obviously know nothing about it. Maybe we should all send you our full air filters and let you see what they're trapping?

ANYWAY, with the full size filter in place, I'm noticing a LOT less drag on the system as with 2 small filters.
It's probably cheaper to buy the one big filter vs. two small ones as well.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 09:40 AM

Yes, it was. I can get the filters I want (though they aren't rated as highly as I'd like (I'd like MERV 11)) for $13.99 each. The small ones were around $9 each.

I'm just glad someone local decided to stock them in my size, finally -- and they can order them for me, too (good ol' Mom and Pop hardware stores, eh?).

Railroader
Banned
Sep 19, 2006, 10:15 AM

(good ol' Mom and Pop hardware stores, eh?).
It's pretty much all I shop anymore. The big box stores are carrying more and more tools not American made.

And the quality of service is far superior to big box stores. First thing I heard last time I walked into the hardware store: "Louise(mom) told me you were replacing your bath tub surround. Are you going to need some pipe tape or do you have some left over from your lower bathroom remodel last year? No? How 'bout some more caulk?" Frank(pop) is da' man!

chestercopperpot
Baninated
Sep 19, 2006, 10:18 AM

That's because the low cost ones only filter particles the size of golf balls.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 07:17 PM

I have a Honeywell perm electrostatic filter and love it. Has helped my allergies and my daughters seasonal allergies considerably at night. When it gets dirty I toss both cores in the dishwasher and then let 'em air dry and I'm good to go. Fanatstic. Downside is price, mine set me back many hundred dollars installed. That would buy an assload of paper filters.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 08:00 PM

How many days do you have to go without a filter?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 12:01 AM

^^^
if that's directed at me, An afternoon to a day without filter for cleaning. In the dry air of Colorado stuff air dries pretty damn quick. Just set it in the sun for a bit. And if I'm impatient (as I always am) I give the cores a gentle shake and toss them back in and let the fan do the drying for me. The perm unit I have (I would imagine most units are this way) has 2 sets of filters: a pair of metal mesh filters in parallel infront of the cores to do the heavy filtering work, and a pair of cores in parallel to blast allergens, molds, fine dust, etc. Both sets are reusable. Mesh gets cleaned in shower, Cores in dishwasher. Nice set up. Another downside to the whole thing: I can here the thing 'tick' as the dust gets zapped by the cores on occasion. I got used to that pretty quick so it is a non issue for me.
It is on my 'could not live without it list'.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 07:33 AM

But now your blower motor is trying to pull air through something as dense as a piece of plywood.

Regular vacuuming of your carpets and dusting is actually more beneficial and cheaper.

However, I won't be questioning your knowledge as you did mine because that isn't the person I am. I actually am knowledgeable about this but I don't have to prove that to you. I'm stating what I know and my opinion just like everyone else on 'NN can and continue to do. You in fact will probably reply to this post and you are free to do so, as such in a free society.
( Last edited by baw; Sep 20, 2006 at 07:39 AM. )

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 09:04 AM

I agree, I used to have terrible allergies/asthma and used to use all kinds of filters. In my experience filters are a bandaid solution at best.

I moved and now have a place with hardwood floors and its much better. My allergist used to say that carpet act as a sponge for dust, providing them a perfect environment to breed --err the dustmites anyway.

Pets are the worst for their sheddings, invest in a dog that doesn't shed

-- don't even get me started on why english people like to have full carpet in their bathrooms...now that is nasty!

Railroader
Banned
Sep 20, 2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by baw
But now your blower motor is trying to pull air through something as dense as a piece of plywood.

Regular vacuuming of your carpets and dusting is actually more beneficial and cheaper.

However, I won't be questioning your knowledge as you did mine because that isn't the person I am. I actually am knowledgeable about this but I don't have to prove that to you. I'm stating what I know and my opinion just like everyone else on 'NN can and continue to do. You in fact will probably reply to this post and you are free to do so, as such in a free society.
You realize what you are vacuuming and dusting was floating in the air and aggravating allergies and making your house look like a filthy pit.

Ask your self this: Do you dust before or after you vacuum? I know, leading question, but what kind of filter do you have on your vacuum?

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 10:22 AM

We're getting our carpet replaced with maple wood flooring (beginning) October 2. Once that's finished, we will have no carpet anywhere in our house.

And no, baw, I won't question your "knowledge" on this subject since it seems to speak for itself.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 20, 2006, 01:08 PM

And no, baw, I won't question your "knowledge" on this subject since it seems to speak for itself.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 04:48 PM

But anyway, find some old consumer reports. I don't remember what issues they were but they tested those expensive air cleaner/purifiers that go in-between the air intake and the blower motor and rated them pretty poor.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2006, 04:56 PM

The issue with vacuuming is that most vacuums don't filter worth squat. My Dyson DOES filter quite well, particularly since it depends on HEPA filters for outflow filtration-after most/all of the dust is precipitated through the cyclones. But a basic upright vacuum really screws up the air, as does simple "feather duster" dusting. You must collect the dust to actually get rid of it.

SOME integral filter systems do a poor job. But there are a number of them that do a great job. It depends on which system you use-a Rheam electrostatic filter will be much more effective than a "Bob's Storm Door and Air Conditioning Company" filter. It just depends on how well made it is.

indigoimac
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 04:39 PM

My main issue w/ the fiberglass filters is changing them every month, I just get the 3m's 'cause I hate digging around by the furnace. I should also note that for most of the year my a/c / heat isn't even on, so a couple filters a year aren't too bad and the fact that the filters are almost pitch black when I remove is enough to convince me. As far as the electricity consumed is concerned I really don't care I've noticed no measurable difference between the "restrictive" filters and the el cheapo fiberglass ones, not that 5 computers are helping the situation.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules