Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone ahoy!

iPhone ahoy!
Thorzdad
Jan 20, 2018, 06:16 PM

So, the missus decided her 6s needed to go swimming in the toilet today. She quickly retrieved it, dried it off, powered it off, and stuck it immediately in the ol' bag of rice. However, even though she definitely powered it off, the screen will occasionally blink the Apple logo as if it's trying to power on. I'm thinking this is probably a sign the 6s is toast, yes?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2018, 08:08 PM

Moisture in the power switch/circuit. Might be fine once it dries out.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 20, 2018, 08:47 PM

It's a shame you can't remove the battery. Do it fast, let a phone dry for a day, and you'd likely be good.

I dropped a flip phone in a swimming pool last summer. Went approx 8 feet deep (2.5 meters). Fished it out fast, popped the back cover, pulled the battery within 60 seconds of it entering the water. Blew the internals out with compressed air, let phone and battery dry for 24 hours before reassembly.

This phone is still working fine today. With the same battery.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jan 20, 2018, 08:50 PM

Yup. I still rock a flip phone. It’s been through the wringer and still chugs along.

Thorzdad  (op)
Jan 21, 2018, 06:47 PM

So, it looks like everything on her 6s works...except the power button. Press/holding it does nothing. Pressing power and the home button only gives me Siri, no hard restart.

Update:
I turned on Assistive Touch and tried powering down the phone through that. It seemed to initially work, but then the phone went into a loop where the screen is black, then the Apple logo would appear for a few seconds, then disappear, leaving the screen black again. Repeat ad infinatum.

Plugging in the power cable kicks it out of that loop and you can get into the phone again.

That looping is very worrying.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Jan 21, 2018 at 08:39 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jan 21, 2018, 09:48 PM

Most likely there's still some water in the home button. Keep it warm indoors for a few more days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules