Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > About VPC on Powerbook 15 AL

About VPC on Powerbook 15 AL
omegahack
Dec 3, 2003, 05:37 PM

How does it run for everyone else? For me it is slow as hell i have 768 ram and i have dedicated 256 for it. Is there something else i should do to speed it up at all? I am running 6.1 and panther, and the OS on it is Windows XP Pro. Is there some hidden setting that makes it go faster or what? Thanks for all the help.

jcgerm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by omegahack:
How does it run for everyone else? For me it is slow as hell i have 768 ram and i have dedicated 256 for it. Is there something else i should do to speed it up at all? I am running 6.1 and panther, and the OS on it is Windows XP Pro. Is there some hidden setting that makes it go faster or what? Thanks for all the help.
XP itself requires 128 MB RAM and will use about 120 MB as a base amount for all running programs at any given time. So that means you have to do a TON of swapping since you will really have 8 MB left to work with. Even on my Pentium III 550MHz it runs slow with 256 MB RAM. I added another 128 MB and it picked up a lot.

That said...have you tried increasing the amount of RAM you're giving to VPC? It might make a difference. Also, I wouldn't run XP on VPC even if I was running VPC on a PC. I would use Windows 2000. XP is so much more bloated than 2000. 2000 runs much faster on my regular PC desktop than XP does.

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by jcgerm:
I would use Windows 2000. XP is so much more bloated than 2000. 2000 runs much faster on my regular PC desktop than XP does.
I guess that answers my Question I was in such a hurry I did not see this thread

Does XP have software that it will support that 2000 wont?
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 08:01 PM

If it runs in XP it will run in 2000, the operating systems are virtually identical except for the user interface. 2000 has a lot less overhead than XP does.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Naz:
Does XP have software that it will support that 2000 wont?
There are a few things, yes, but most are never going to be used by a VPC user. One big one is Bluetooth support.

Random performance tip, disable the System Restore featore of XP. This basicially duplicates the "Undo drives" VPC uses. To do so, right click My Computer, Properties, and hit the VPC tab.

While in there, go to the Advanced tab, kit Settings under Peformance, and hit the best peformance option.

Also, Right click My Computer, go to Manage, and disable the Themes service. This kills it, even at atartup.

Doing this gets an XP load on VPC to run about as fast as 2000.
<This space under renovation>

Forum Links
Forum Rules