Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Attempted Robbery in Arizona gone bad

Attempted Robbery in Arizona gone bad
Rumor
Feb 11, 2009, 07:16 PM

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

A homeowner, alerted of an impending home invasion by his security cameras, arms himself and takes matters into his hands last Thursday when four armed suspects attempt to break into his home.

The video the owner caught is incredible, and you can see it by watching the video link to the left. You see a vehicle pull up, and four men run out. One of them is carrying what appears to be an AR-15 or M-16, a weapon which could be fully automatic.

The robbery happened last Thursday in broad daylight at a home on West Vande Loo Street. All the action was caught by the homeowners outdoor surveillance system.

"The victim was able to get back inside his house, close his door, semi barricade it, reach for [a] weapon that was easily accessible," says Pima County Sheriff's Deputy Earl Gieron.

The homeowner shot at the suspects. He even put a bullet through the windshield of the suspects car, which is also caught on camera. The four men retreated and took off. All of them remain on the run.

Sheriff's officials say the homeowner has surveillance cameras installed all around his house.

Dep. Gieron says, "That was just for his own security."

People living in the neighborhood heard all the gunshots, and saw the aftermath. Some stray bullets even hit a home across the street.

One man says, "I was asleep around noon Thursday, and heard gunshots."

Lawrence Cruz lives down the street from where the attempted home invasion happened.

"I am very watchful where we live and I think everybody has right to defend their property," says Cruz.

Detectives did find the suspect's vehicle at a home near Cardinal and Valencia, but the four men are still on the run.

One of the suspects has been identified as 23-year-old Jesus Mendivil. It's believed he was shot in the arm.

The three other men are all described as Hispanic males between 17 and 25-years-old.
They have been playing this all over CNN today. to the homeowner for scaring them off.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2009, 07:18 PM

Government auction for one Dodge Charger, slightly damaged.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2009, 07:28 PM

its great to see someone legally (and justifiably) defend their home with a firearm... there are too many yahoos out there who think all gun owners are out to commit a crime...

-Zach

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 11, 2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by olepigeon View Post
government auction for one dodge charger, slightly damaged.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
They all look the same. (the cars)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2009, 09:57 AM

I wonder why they specifically targetted that particular house?

Or are semi/fully automatic weapons the norm for burglaries these days?

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2009, 10:09 AM

People living in the neighborhood heard all the gunshots, and saw the aftermath. Some stray bullets even hit a home across the street.
He's lucky one of his stray bullets didn't kill his neighbor.

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2009, 10:31 AM

Why yes, this town is lousy with crime.

Couple of weeks ago a liquor store clerk/owner shot and killed an attempted robber. His accomplice got away.

A week (or so) before that another attempted home robbery where one of the crooks got blasted. That one died, I believe.

The unfortunate side effect of stories like these is the robbers will be more likely to start shooting first.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2009, 10:51 AM

I've been to Tucson, but I didn't realize the crime was that bad.

I did note though that wherever I went I had to show my ID to use a credit card, because they said that CC fraud is rampant there.

P.S. Strangely enough, it rained almost the whole time I was there (several days).

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2009, 12:26 PM

Things in my neighborhood have gotten a LOT better the last few years after slowly getting worse. There was a raid on a meth house about a hundred yards from my house a few years ago. We're talking armored personnel carrier SWAT team stuff. About a year before that some nut right across the street from there killed himself during a standoff with the cops. Took till last year for his apartment to get rented. Plus we've had our share of freaks wander through. Typical stuff, really.

But after the drug house went down, things have returned to fairly normal. It's still going to be a relief to get the **** outta here, though.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2009, 05:29 PM

... outdoor surveillance system...

... weapon that was easily accessible...
Things that make you go hmmm.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2009, 06:13 PM

Was he sitting at his desk with his face buried in a mountain of cocaine?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2009, 10:37 PM

Home robbery? Seriously? With AR-15 and M-16 in broad daylight?

More like gang retaliation.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
With AR-15 and M-16.
The m16 is the full auto military version of the ar-15, they are mechanically/cosmetically the same with a great exception to the trigger group...

but yeah... still smells funny to me...

-Zach

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2009, 11:27 PM

Well technically the M16 is not full auto. It can do three-round bursts or semi auto. The AR-15, a civilian model, was originally like the M16 in size and style but has since become more like the M4 -- collapsable stock, rail system options, and more.

Assault rifles for a standard home invasion sound like overkill (pun intended), but with Tucson being so close to the border, you never know. Just recently some probable cartel thugs lobbed a grenade or two into a Texas border town night club. The grenade(s) didn't explode, but they were very real (South Korean-made).

Also in Phoenix several months ago, an entire cartel hit squad dressed up like Phoenix swat, complete with matching body armor, uniforms, and AR-15 equipment, and launched an assault on some target's home.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 01:04 PM

One of the suspects has been identified as 23-year-old Jesus Mendivil.
No! Not JESUS!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 02:03 PM

"Quick, operator, get me Jesus on the line!"
"City please."
"I... oh. Uh, not sure."
"City please."
"Well, he's Jesus. You know."
"City please."
"He's kinda everywhere."
"City please."

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2009, 07:27 PM

that just shows my ignorance... I guess it makes sense not to make it full auto... the SAW is made for that! and a scared person would quickly use up all his ammo at full auto...

-Zach

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 13, 2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Well technically the M16 is not full auto. It can do three-round bursts or semi auto. .
The M16A1/A3s have a selector for semiautomatic and full automatic. The A2 and A4 models are semiauto and 3 round burst.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Cold Warrior
Feb 13, 2009, 10:12 PM

You're going too far back for me. I knew the Vietnam-era model had full auto but that would warp their barrels from the heat. The M249 has interchangeable barrels for that reason. Your branch had the A3 option from the wiki article I had to read up on. All the M16s I fired with were A2 models and by the time the A4 was out I had an M4, and very happily so. No more long rifle.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 13, 2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
He's lucky one of his stray bullets didn't kill his neighbor.
You mean his neighbor right?

Actually, if I had a neighbor I would be thankful for what he did. I bet it will be a while before another incident like that takes place near his house.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You mean his neighbor right?

Actually, if I had a neighbor I would be thankful for what he did. I bet it will be a while before another incident like that takes place near his house.
I still think the whole situation sounds fishy. Why pick the one house on the street with heavy duty security?

Mind you, criminals can be insanely stupid at times.

Cold Warrior
Feb 13, 2009, 11:18 PM

Perhaps obvious security made him a target. They thought he had something worth protecting, so they brought more resources: wheels, four men, and assault rifles. His own overt security could have led the criminals to up the ante.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 11:34 PM

According to the local police here, any type of significant security makes this type of stuff much, much less likely. The crooks generally take the path of least resistance. This is unless there is a specific target they already know about... whether it is something of monetary value, or the resident himself.

ie. Security won't make your home more likely to attack. However, if you require security because you are a drug lord or if you own lots of very expensive toys and the crooks know about it, then you are more likely to be hit.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 12:25 AM

This is not a home robbery. If they thought the home had lots of stuff worth stealing, they would've drove a van, not a car packed with 4 guys. If they intended to rob the home, they wouldn't be drawing so much attention with their gangster car and 4 guys brandishing their big guns. There were neighbors close by.

The home owner was targeted. The home owner knew someone was about to get him. The home owner seems quite prepare for a gun battle.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules