Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo or Ibook 1.2 14"

Pismo or Ibook 1.2 14"
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2004, 12:55 PM

Hi,

I'm at it again...

I got a good deal on a 14" 1.2 Ibook from a friend of mine. He sold it to me for $950, and these are selling new on apple and ebay for more than $1300.

Because of all of you, I have grown to love my pismo but there are programs that I already have (I don't really use though) that are just too much for the pismo - final cut pro, garage band, etc.

Here are the specs of both machines:
Pismo
G3 500mhz
1gb memory
40gb 5400 Hard Drive
2 Batteries
Internal DVD burner
Airport

Ibook
1.2 G4 Processor
60gb Hard Drive
DVD/CDRW combo drive
256mb Memory (I have 2 512mb DDR chips at home)
Airport Extreme

I bought the Pismo for $400, after upgrading it came out to just a little over $500. Again the ibook is $950, but I'm thinking I can sell it (if I want to) for $1300 or so and make a little from it. Or do you think I should just keep the ibook and sell the pismo?

With the pismo, I don't plan to upgrade the processor. Heat and good airport reception are major concerns. I'm thinking how good would the ibook run some of the applications that I have, or should I just get that g5 and keep the pismo. Do you think the ibook would be that much better than the pismo?

What would you do?

As always, I appreciate all your opinions!!

Thanks!!

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 01:10 PM

Pismo is a great machine to keep as a secondary computer, I personally would keep the iBook for now till I get the G5, then sell the iBook. I dont think it'll depreciate that much in the next few months, and I'm almost positive you'll still make a profit on it, or at worst (and this is a long shot) break even. Have some fun with the new machine, who knows maybe the increase in speed will make you sell the Pismo instead (I know I know blasphemous, but hey who knows).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 03:17 PM

I hate to say it but....Sell the Pismo. At least with the iBook you have a warranty. What if you sold the iBook and the next day the Pismo died. You would be out a nice chunk of change.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 05:42 PM

�Pismo: nice, solid, stable laptop - but 8MB non-QuartzExtreme-capable GPU. PC card slot a plus. Probably could benefit from a new battery though. But I like 'em; used to have one myself.

�14" iBook: much faster, USB 2.0, far better GPU. No PC card slot a minus. Better battery life a plus. Won't get any hotter during use than the Pismo will.

I say go iBook. Sell the Pismo and use the cash to help pay for the iBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules