Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected.

Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected.
joakley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2006, 06:57 PM

InDesign 4.0.2 crashed while opening an InDesign 4 document from a flash drive (probably DOS formatted). So, tried opening the document on another Mac (the first was running OS 10.4.6, this one running 10.3.9). InDesign crashed there too. Following this crash due to this specific document, InDesign would crash immediately upon relaunching (not even opening a file) on both computers.

In general, here are the steps that have NOT solved the problem:
- reinstalling Adobe CS2
- updating via Adobe Update
- repairing permissions
- clearing font caches
- trashing all "AdobeFnt" files
- turning off Suitcase
- trashing the InDesign prefs located in ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/
- launching inDesign under a different user account
- manually trashing anything to do with Adobe, and reinstalling CS2

The only thing that these steps have done is allow InDesign to launch, but as soon as we try to open an existing InDesign document, or create a new one, we get the following error message:

"Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work in any unsaved InDesign Documents."

Looking in the "InDesign autorecovery folder", there's a file called "ProtectiveShutdownLog" that mentions the following error:

"SING Library's data base is probably corrupt because it failed when creating a document ID."

I'm seeing the SING Library has something to do with Japanese characters, but I'm not sure what to do with this information. When I do a Find on either computer, I'm not finding any files or folders with the letters SING, that have anything to do with Adobe. And if those libraries/files/folders are missing, wouldn't the reinstall have put them back?

Any ideas for fixing this, short of wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling from scratch?

Should mention that the other Adobe CS2 apps have been working fine throughout this whole thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules