Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > My First Theme

My First Theme
dragun415
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 08:37 PM

Hey y'all,

Been doing alot of looking at themes and trying to concept one for awhile... Just wanted some opinions. Not the most original but I'm new to themeing. It's potentially called "Cathode" and might look cool if you had some lighting on your hardware... Let me know what you think.

Cathode Preview v0.0

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 08:43 PM

i think that looks awesome

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by dragun415:
Hey y'all,

Been doing alot of looking at themes and trying to concept one for awhile... Just wanted some opinions. Not the most original but I'm new to themeing. It's potentially called "Cathode" and might look cool if you had some lighting on your hardware... Let me know what you think.

Cathode Preview v0.0
SWEET! Its a black SIRO! Awsome, i love it... and so will everyone thats been asking for a black siro.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 08:47 PM

looks awesome! are those jetblack icons?
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 08:58 PM

looks totally sweet

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 09:08 PM

Slick mockup.
click one

Jaey
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 09:22 PM

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 09:32 PM

Very nice...I don't think the widgets can be that far down on the window though.....

silencedge
Sep 1, 2004, 09:32 PM

Simply awesome... reminds me of Siro and JetBlack.

Will like to see this theme come through!

eme
Sep 1, 2004, 09:35 PM

COOL!!

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 09:51 PM

Very slick... now get the he|| out of here and finish it so we can all sing praises about your incredibly cool theme!
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 09:56 PM

Will be ported to Windows in 3... 2...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by justinp:
Will be ported to Windows in 3... 2...
Stolen would the the correct word.
click one

rpeterclark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 10:18 PM

Looks nice, my only other comment would be it's passing similarity to the "Carbon" Winamp skin I just released...

http://www.rpeterclark.com/Scrap/Multipass-Carbon.jpg

It was the dark plastic with gloss highlight and edge insets (upside down) that caught my attention, different enough though...

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 10:59 PM

It look really nice, especially the nearly colorless highlight glow and the corner grooves. PLEASE FINISH IT. Nice work.

fireside
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by rpeterclark:
Looks nice, my only other comment would be it's passing similarity to the "Carbon" Winamp skin I just released...

It was the dark plastic with gloss highlight and edge insets (upside down) that caught my attention, different enough though...
don't turn into bbx please.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
haha, seriously.

Great mockup dragun415, definitely want to see it on my computer some day .
DigitalRamen sucks.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 11:55 PM

I agree with the rest...looks really slick. The only thing I'm not sold on is the Tiger-like menubar cap. Other than that, no complaints, only praises.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 12:42 AM

Looks like a whale load potential ta me. Dang itz lookin' good to me - please finish and share it with us .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

Sage
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 01:03 AM

Now that's awesome! (And original, especially that slick menubar.) I'm also not sold on the left menubar endcap, but otherwise,

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 01:12 AM

well said.
www.theblogproject.com

Holigen
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 02:00 AM

Nice lookin...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2004, 02:29 AM

Yeah right. Black gloss has been done to death already. Your theme looks vaguely similar to some theme I saw a while back.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 05:25 AM

Hey y'all,

Cathode Preview v0.0
Oh..my..god.

Stunning.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 05:28 AM

Very nice!
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

badidea
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 05:42 AM

Now this makes me horny!!!!

Lew
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 06:52 AM

That is beautiful. You have to make this theme!

rpeterclark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 08:11 AM

He's pretty talented, right? That wouldn't be so bad...

Originally posted by aristotles:
Yeah right. Black gloss has been done to death already. Your theme looks vaguely similar to some theme I saw a while back.
Show me. I'm not trying to poop on anyone's thread, but the similarities are there and only days after I released my skin, even the names aren't all that different. I can concede that it could just be coicidence, but it wouldn't be the first time any of us have seen people take heavy design cues from something they just saw.

Better bail out now and return to lurking bfore this get's even more out of hand...

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 2, 2004, 08:21 AM

Well he did say that he realizes its not the most original work and that he took influences from other already existing works (who doesnt) so I dont think its a big deal. The toolbar buttons look exactly like a hueless JetBlack but thats fine with me because I think overall it looks really slick and the titlebar elements help differentiate it enough. I say for a first attempt its going very nicely, I just hope you realize what is involved in getting it completed because folks around here are tired of mockups with no completion and release.
Keep on it man!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by swiz:
because folks around here are tired of mockups with no completion and release.
Keep on it man!
Amen to that brother!
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 11:09 AM

Show me. I'm not trying to poop on anyone's thread, but the similarities are there and only days after I released my skin, even the names aren't all that different. I can concede that it could just be coicidence, but it wouldn't be the first time any of us have seen people take heavy design cues from something they just saw.

Better bail out now and return to lurking bfore this get's even more out of hand... [/B]
Honestly, I think you're way too possessive of your skin and anything that might even be generally colored or shaped similarly. Just looking at his theme and your skin, I'd say that he probably drew absolutely no influence from your work. I hate to break it to you, but I just don't see much of a similarity between the two at all. I mean, there are a few similarities, but those are mostly passing. Now, I do agree that his theme looks like it's taken some design cues from Jet Black and Siro, but from your skin? I think that might be a bit presumptuous of you. His theme seems much more refined to me than your skin, and the fact that "Cathode" and "Carbon" both start with a "Ca" is of little or no significance...in fact, I wouldn't even say that they sounded similar. Now, if his theme had had a lighter gray hue, had been a bit more matte than it is, looked like it hadn't had as much work put into it, and had been named Iron or Magnesium or something...yeah, you'd have a case, but as it stands, I'd say that your intellectual rights have not been infringed upon in any way, and frankly put, I find your insinuations that he's drawn heavily from your work a little bit annoying.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

justinp
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Stolen would the the correct word.
Fair point, I wasn't thinking.

dragun415  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Just spent last night diving into Themepark. You're absolutely right... WOW, lots of resources... finding out what's possible and impossible, so I'll be tweeking the design to the limitations. I will definitely try to get this done by this month.

Do you think the widgets should be dimmed in its regular state and light up only when rolled over or should it just be a light show?

BTW. I am a BIG fan of jet black and siro and many other themes out there and I have a lot to learn from them. I am in no way trying to rip anyone off.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 03:14 PM

He's pretty talented, right? That wouldn't be so bad...

Better bail out now and return to lurking bfore this get's even more out of hand...
bail out might be a great thing to do... there really is no similarities with your winamp theme other than they are both black based and glossy. that an hundreds of others..
get over it.
www.theblogproject.com

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. Just spent last night diving into Themepark. You're absolutely right... WOW, lots of resources... finding out what's possible and impossible, so I'll be tweeking the design to the limitations. I will definitely try to get this done by this month.

Do you think the widgets should be dimmed in its regular state and light up only when rolled over or should it just be a light show?

BTW. I am a BIG fan of jet black and siro and many other themes out there and I have a lot to learn from them. I am in no way trying to rip anyone off.

If you need any help, please let us know! This is the best mockup I've seen in a while. Good luck!

dragun415  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 04:33 PM

Been cracking away at this and found i couldn't have the "cathode tube" centered in the toolbar. It just keeps repeating so had to mod some things... here's the latest, with some of your comments in mind.

Cathode v.0.1

Thanks for the encouragement and offer to help (definitely). Nice to know people like it.

cmove
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 05:02 PM

What's the font ?

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 05:33 PM

Dude this is slick looks great calabi like... but anyways keep it up it looks great!

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 05:44 PM

Been cracking away at this and found i couldn't have the "cathode tube" centered in the toolbar. It just keeps repeating so had to mod some things... here's the latest, with some of your comments in mind.

Cathode v.0.1

Thanks for the encouragement and offer to help (definitely). Nice to know people like it.
very nice, I like the new toolbar buttons a lot. One thing to keep in mind though is that the window titlebar text is going be a lot bigger than that, and for the vast majority of people it's going to be in Lucida Grand. Not a huge deal, just something to remember .
DigitalRamen sucks.

rpeterclark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
I mean, there are a few similarities, but those are mostly passing.
Isn't that what I said in my first post?

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 07:15 PM

that looks awesome. i can't wait for you to finish it.

maybe when you finish this one, make another version thats white (or another color), instead of black.

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 2, 2004, 09:53 PM

Cathode v.0.1

Looks good but I think the wishy washy feeling of the bottom of the toolbar buttons could be alot more sleek with a bit more definition.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 10:00 PM

Looks good but I think the wishy washy feeling of the bottom of the toolbar buttons could be alot more sleek with a bit more definition.
i have to agree. i much preferred the v.0 buttons that were less 'cloudy'.
keep up the great work!
www.theblogproject.com

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 10:07 PM

I disagree. The bottom could use a little more definition, but I like the sort of illuminated-from-behind look this mockup has.

Oh, and one other little bit of advice: ignore everyone's advice. Design by committee never turns out that great, and if you follow everyone's wishes it probably won't turn out to be something you personally even like that much. If you don't follow people's advice, but still take it, they feel like you ignored them. So just keep up the good work and make something cool .
DigitalRamen sucks.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 10:27 PM

I really love this mockup. Go for it.
click one

silencedge
Sep 2, 2004, 10:57 PM

Looks really sleek, but as the others have mentioned, definition in the buttons will make it look just that much better.

This is a very promising theme. Keep up the good work.

Mike S.
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 11:19 PM

Anyone want to second a cathode lit Apple in the corner? Things just feel weird without that little logo up in the corner :-)

Do it the way you think it looks best though, it's your theme and I think it looks very nice.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 11:53 PM

Bahahaha. Nail --> Head.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 11:55 PM

Cathode v.0.1

My god! That warm glow is great! And the intricate, hard lines in the menubar and titlebar. DO THIS. GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2004, 11:26 AM

I completely agree. I think more defined buttons would be easier on the eyes.

LOVE the menu/title-bars. Outstanding.

Forum Links
Forum Rules