Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Startup from an External CD-ROM

Startup from an External CD-ROM
krb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 11:37 AM

I need to startup from an external CD ROM attached to a PPC 6100. It's running 8.6 with a G3 upgrade card installed. The System Profiler recognizes that it's attached, but when a CD is inserted, it doesn't mount, otherwise, I'd select it from the Startup Disk Control Panel. I'm trying to solve that problem by finding and replacing the drivers -- no luck yet. The setup and drive had been working fine for nearly a year, but suddenly stopped. It could be that it's old and finally decided to die, but I'm not giving up yet. I'm hoping that it's just corrupted drivers.

Holding down the "C" key will not work since it is an external CD drive, but I know that there is a key combination that could be held down at startup that would force the Mac to boot from another startup disk. Does anyone know what that combination is?

Thanks,
krb

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2001, 03:27 PM

Cmd+Opt+Shift+Delete, I think

krb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 04:11 PM

Awesome!!! That was it. Now if I can just commit that one to memory...

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2001, 05:33 PM

There is no need to commit it to memory. In the Finder, go to the Help menu and choose Help Center. Type in the keywords "keyboard shortcuts" and you will get the full list anytime. On several subjects, no just startup shortcuts.

finboy
Jun 30, 2001, 02:52 PM

I've gotten C to work MANY times on older machines.

The C stands for CHAIN and sends it to the same place as C-O-S-D, or it's supposed to.

I'm glad you got it to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules