Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WD Digital 250GB WD Passport in MacBook (2.16Ghz/Black)

WD Digital 250GB WD Passport in MacBook (2.16Ghz/Black)
Inkreef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2008, 11:40 AM

Hi, I'm about to purchase a new WD 250GB external drive (WD Passport), and I was wondering if it was possible to use it as an internal drive. I know it is really easy to extract the HD from its casing, but is the HD SATA and compatible with my MacBook ?

Thanks,
Inkreef

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 07:32 PM

Maybe; the internal bus for the hard drive is a crapshoot. But why bother? Buy a 250GB drive and a USB (or FW enclosure) for your old one and you'll probably save money.

$150 for 250GB SATA laptop drive + $10-25 for a USB enclosure or $35 for a USB+Firewire enclosure.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 31, 2008, 09:19 PM

It is. I did the same transplant a month ago. My dad was the one that took apart the Passport (he has more technical skill than I do), but he said it was rather easy.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2008, 11:07 PM

Transplanted the 160GB drive from a WD Passport in to my wife's MacBook. Works great.

Inkreef  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2008, 01:05 AM

@mduell: Thanks for the idea, but Costco (Canada) sells the WD 250GB Passport for 155$ CAN, which is a freakin' deal, assuming you get a 250GB + WD USB enclosure.

I'll try the operation this week, and post results as soon as I get it to work.

magicbumone
Feb 1, 2008, 08:42 PM

It works! I did it to my macbook last month works perfect and nice thing is you put your old hard drive in the WD case and you got a nice little portable hard drive as well. Trying to get the hard drive out of WD case is a little tricky though but should not take more than 15min to get the case open.

kerosen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2008, 06:25 AM

I did the same and it worked... but slower. I've measured the boot up time and with the Scorpio 250Gb was twice as with the original Hitachi 120Gb.
Here is the post, check the end of it.
http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...0gb-hard-disk/
I've ended up put them back to where they belongs.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2008, 09:54 AM

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 3, 2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
The sale price on that has to be because the enclosure is PINK! Oh my!

So for $99 you get a 250GB drive AND a pink enclosure you can hide somewhere... Still sounds like a deal to me!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2008, 11:53 AM

im really eying this external pink drive for my mbp, can anybody give me any reason not to use the hd linked (pink wd passport) in my macbook pro?

due to an accident to my comp, i only have a 60gb drive inside currently and have been looking for a steal to upgrade and this looks like it might be perfect (long as it doesn't make my mbp slow up to the point of frustration).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2008, 08:17 PM

i am interested in doing this also.

now if i time machine my computer, and then put a new drive it, can i just bring it back to its current state, but with the bigger drive in it?
C2D Blackbook Week 44

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blizzake View Post
now if i time machine my computer, and then put a new drive it, can i just bring it back to its current state, but with the bigger drive in it?
Yes, although CCC/SD/dd is a faster way to achieve the same end result.

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Yes, although CCC/SD/dd is a faster way to achieve the same end result.
ccc/sd/dd????
C2D Blackbook Week 44

mfbernstein
Senior User
Feb 3, 2008, 09:08 PM

Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper and a command line app called dd. SuperDuper doesn't fully support Leopard though, so that leaves Carbon Copy Cloner as the easiest and (IMO) best option.

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2008, 09:09 PM

thanks, now to read up on ripping the drive out of this thing. 120gb is just not enough

edit geez thats easy

YouTube - Macworld - MacBook Battery Bay (2)

will it also do my xp partition?

i might just do a fresh install, hmmm
C2D Blackbook Week 44

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2008, 10:25 PM

dd will do your XP, CCC may do your XP.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2008, 07:00 PM

So how are these new 320 gig 2.5" hard drives? Any reason not to put one in a Macbook?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2008, 07:48 PM

i just got one at best buy for 180 clams. the pink wd is now 209 again so for 180 it has 320gb. not bad. ill report back later when im up and running with a fresh install
C2D Blackbook Week 44

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2008, 09:20 PM

DONE! up and running with a fresh install of leopard showing 283gb available
C2D Blackbook Week 44

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 04:07 AM

CCC and SD are bound to get you into trouble. There's no need for expensive (at least in the case of SD) third-party apps when it's all already built into the OS.

/Applications/Utilities/DiskUtility > Restore

One-click cloning that's guaranteed to be 100% Leopard compatible.

Of course if you already have your old disk backed up with TM there's no need to clone. Install the new disk, boot with the install DVD and use MA to copy the TM backup onto your new disk. Reboot and done.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
im really eying this external pink drive for my mbp, can anybody give me any reason not to use the hd linked (pink wd passport) in my macbook pro?

due to an accident to my comp, i only have a 60gb drive inside currently and have been looking for a steal to upgrade and this looks like it might be perfect (long as it doesn't make my mbp slow up to the point of frustration).

The white & Black are same price. I bought 1 of each! To be able to pick up right Files by sight!

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blizzake View Post
i just got one at best buy for 180 clams. the pink wd is now 209 again so for 180 it has 320gb. not bad. ill report back later when im up and running with a fresh install
I'm not sure of the speed of that drive but Best Buy right now is selling the 200GB Hitachi external drive for $119, less with easily available coupons online. If you pay attention to the serial number on the bottom of the package the ones that begin with DTG are 7200rpm drives. Anything else is the advertised 5400rpm but the DTGs are definitely faster. Putting it in my MBP.

If you're gonna recycle your internal as an external anyway then you'd have to buy a case and now you have one.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 04:49 PM

Links? for both the coupons and the item you mentioned.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2008, 04:59 PM

Links? for both the coupons and the item you mentioned.
The drive isnt any special deal, just a general advertised sale price. It was in the Sunday adverts, or you could look on their site.

Discussion on specs here

Various coupons

Other coupons, etc etc

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2008, 05:31 PM

The $99 deal for the WD 250GB is no longer available! They pulled it after 1 day.... sold too many I guess! I got 5 total and picked up and tried to get the 2 additional for friends and BB wouldn't honor price even though they were in stock. Glad I paid by CC!

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2008, 12:51 AM

well day 2 with my 320gb drive and its great. its a great upgrade
C2D Blackbook Week 44

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2008, 01:19 AM

I got this because of the 7200 RPM and the low price. I don't need a bigger HD than this:

HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 HTS722020K9SA00 0A50940 Hard Drive Bulk at ZipZoomfly

I also got this to put the 80 GB drive that came with my MacBook in:

- Free Shipping: 2.5" Serial ATA (SATA) Notebook Hard Drive to USB 2.0 Aluminum External Enclosure : EMST25 (Retail, Silver)

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
I got this because of the 7200 RPM and the low price. I don't need a bigger HD than this:

HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 HTS722020K9SA00 0A50940 Hard Drive Bulk at ZipZoomfly
Yep, thats what was in the one I bought at Best Buy for $100 bucks. Just reused the case it came in, its an easy open.

Like it so far, it's slightly noisier than the stock Fujitsu but once mdworker finished indexing its noticeably faster.

I just hooked it up via USB as an external, used CCC to copy the startup and then swapped drives and booted normally.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2008, 03:56 PM

is the following safe to pop out and install in my macbook pro? not sure if its ata or sata inside.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 160GB 2.5-inch Passport USB Portable Hard Drive: Electronics

i really wanna upgrade my internal hard drive and wouldnt mind having an external case to boot, or is it better to just find something at new egg?
( Last edited by iREZ; Feb 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM. )

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2008, 04:05 PM

is the following safe to pop out and install in my macbook pro? not sure if its ata or sata inside.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 160GB 2.5-inch Passport USB Portable Hard Drive: Electronics

i really wanna upgrade my internal hard drive and wouldnt mine having an external case to boot, or is it better to just find something at new egg?
look around, you can find a bigger hard drive for a few bucks more.
C2D Blackbook Week 44

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 12:33 PM

i know i could find bigger, that wasn't my question...i just want assurance that the drive within that enclosure is indeed a serial-ata.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2008, 07:00 PM

i know i could find bigger, that wasn't my question...i just want assurance that the drive within that enclosure is indeed a serial-ata.
i sound like a pompous ass and spreading the ill that i get from a lousy day at work.

what i meant to say is that i'm pretty good at finding low prices on the net and i know i could larger drives for a few pennies more but my question is if all passport drives have a sata drive within em, like the one i posted.

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2008, 12:45 AM

WD Scorpio 160GB 2.5-inch 8MB Cache SATA Internal Hard Drive - $81.49 - Buy.com - GottaDeal.com

thats the drive that is in there. they are in the same case, so personally i would make the assumption that its a sata drive.

good luck
C2D Blackbook Week 44

Xarthan
Feb 13, 2008, 03:18 AM

I saw a 320GB one for 150 bucks on buy.com
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2008, 06:17 PM

YEP! i saw that deal too and wanted in but alas the boards took too long to answer and i didnt wanna risk it. oh well...good to know, ill be waiting for another deal with my eyes peeled. thanks guys.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2008, 06:24 PM

YEP! i saw that deal too and wanted in but alas the boards took too long to answer and i didnt wanna risk it. oh well...good to know, ill be waiting for another deal with my eyes peeled. thanks guys.
Check out deals at:

Hot Deals - SlickDeals.net Forums

some disappear within hours:

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2008, 09:47 PM

fyi, the 320gb drive is on sale at best buy for 149! i got my price difference credit today.
C2D Blackbook Week 44

acoustix
Feb 22, 2008, 12:28 AM

Anybody have experience with the Samsung HM160Hi HDD's in MacBooks?
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2008, 02:14 AM

hokie17
Feb 22, 2008, 06:01 AM

I picked up two 320GB drives at Best Buy. One to use as an external, the other I ripped out of the case and put in my MBP to replace it's 120GB drive. The original MBP drive went into the enclosure to be another external drive.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2008, 01:37 PM

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2008, 05:07 AM

I also put the 320 GB WD Passport's drive in my MacBook. The case works fine with the old drive.

notlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2008, 10:54 AM

I bought the 250gig WD passport yesterday (white enclosure). Swapping out the drive and restoring from time machine worked just fine. However I had previously upgraded my internal drive to a 160gig. This drive would not work with the enclosure. I then decided to try the original 60gig drive that came with my macbook and that didn't work in the enclosure either. The 250gig that came with it worked fine in both my computer and the external enclosure. Any ideas why?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by notlad View Post
I bought the 250gig WD passport yesterday (white enclosure). Swapping out the drive and restoring from time machine worked just fine. However I had previously upgraded my internal drive to a 160gig. This drive would not work with the enclosure. I then decided to try the original 60gig drive that came with my macbook and that didn't work in the enclosure either. The 250gig that came with it worked fine in both my computer and the external enclosure. Any ideas why?
Double check that none of the pins are bent

notlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
Double check that none of the pins are bent
since its SATA there aren't any pins that can get bent. it just has a big slot. i'm guessing the drives aren't getting enough power. i may just buy another external enclosure later today.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2008, 07:04 AM

Could also be a power requirement problem. I have another WD drive transplanted back into the WD passport case, and it works fine. The reason I'm thinking about a power requirement issue is that the WD case only uses a single mini-USB cable to power it. That is great for convenience and I really prefer just a single cable, however my MCE Mobilestore eSata/USB portable case needs TWO connections to power it properly. One USB terminates into the power connector. The other into the mini-USB jackt. If I use just the mini-USB jack, some drives won't work properly due to insufficient power.

If this is indeed a power issue in the Passport enclosure, you can take it two different ways.

1. It's a good thing because that means the WD drive we have in our MacBooks must do well with lower power
2. It's a bad thing because you can't re-use the enclosure for any old drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules