Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > A Must-Have game

A Must-Have game
Apple_John
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2000, 03:03 AM

Looking to buy my first mac game, which game is a 'must have' for a mac-user? I have a 450cube w/192mb.
I like games which don't require me to think, like shooting, sport, driving, etc.
Also, which stick has the best value? I need a durable one...
Beside having fun, I would like to test the cube so well.

Cipher13
Oct 9, 2000, 06:51 AM

There are so many to choose from! (no, I'm not being sarcastic... well, maybe a little )
Unreal Tournament (fps), Deus Ex (fps/rts/rpg)...
Um... Q3A (fps - not as good as UT )
All my other games are a little old...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 10-09-2000).]

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2000, 12:43 PM

Deus Ex definitely. You've just about got enough memory for it
If you just want a brainless blaster though, then Beach Head 2000 looks like it could be good, although wait and see if they do a demo first.
Aaron

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2000, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Apple_John:
I like games which don't require me to think, like shooting, sport, driving, etc.
I would also say Deus Ex, but you kinda have to think with that one...

UT and Q3A require little or no thinking...

All 3 are very cool, and have brought many many hours of entertainment...

------------------
Promote Chicken Randomness

Ca$h68
Banned
Oct 9, 2000, 07:46 PM

Deus Ex sucks. It makes me stay up too late!

And if you can only have ONE brainless FPS, go UT. You will run it at AMAZING speeds (especially witha 3dfx card) . Plus with TONS of mods, it'll never get boring. UT requires more strategy than q3, due to different types of gameplay. Get that. Or carmageddon2. That game is FUN!

Rohith
Oct 10, 2000, 04:48 PM

My vote would have to go to Escape Velocity: Override. It isn't hardware demanding at all- you could do it on a 604, easy, but it's an extremely addictive game. It doesn't require too much thinking, but everything you do does make a difference in the game. It's also cheaper than every other game mentioned, being shareware. Try it out, go to www.ambrosiasw.com.

The other game I would have to say is a must-get is the Virtual Game Station, which is more of a utility, I guess, than an actual game. Playstation games will EASILY run at full speed on your computer. Anything above a 300mhz G3 will run them at full speed.

If you want to go for UT or Q3A, go out and buy a better keyboard- even with the upgrades, the new keyboard is still pretty bad- my iBook's keyboard feel's so much better. The opti-mouse is alright, but a 2-button mouse will help alot when playing against those PC fps junkies. BTW- for those of you using a laptop and thinking about playing either of these games- don't unless you buy an external mouse. There's no way you'll do ANYTHING with a trackpad. An external keyboard will help too, since laptop keyboards are still rather cramped. Also, trying to play any internet games with a 56K modem is risky- you're bound to get some lag along the way, and when you're trying to gun someone down or trying to avoid getting gunned down, lag is a very, very bad thing. A cable modem, DSL, or dorm ethernet is definitely a must if you're playing over the 'Net.

Deus Ex is a good option, too, but that game is a bit too involving for my tastes. I mean, how can you get any work done when you have that game?

If you want a cheap, fun sports game, check out Backyard Baseball 2000. Mac Gamer's Ledge gave it a good rating.

For driving, wait for Need For Speed- Porsche ( I think that's what it's called) or 4x4 Evolution. You can download the beta for the latter.

All in all, there are now a lot of games out there for the mac. We now have options! Now, if they would only bring Counterstrike over....

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2000, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Apple_John:
Looking to buy my first mac game, which game is a 'must have' for a mac-user? I have a 450cube w/192mb.
Also, which stick has the best value? I need a durable one...
Beside having fun, I would like to test the cube so well.
No question - if it's a "must have" then it's Quake 3 Arena. This game looks and plays excellent. Id has really outdone themselves in the latest Quake game. Plus, you'll have the widest access to online gaming. You won't have to search long to frag more PC and fellow Mac users alike. Not to mention excellent bots to train you in local mode (or simply mindless fragging). Since you've either got a 16MB Rage 128Pro or Radeon, frame rate should be excellent - even in 32bit. See www.xlr8yourmac.com for excellent frame rate database on various Macs and different games. Good luck.....joe

krb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2000, 10:13 AM

I recommend almost all of the Ambrosia games, including EV:Override. Many of them are remakes of classic arcade games with an Ambrosia twist. I must admit that I didn't like Cythera. It was too...well, try it for yourself. You may like it. Besides, it's shareware. If you don't like it, delete it. They also have some very cool looking games coming out soon. Here's the web address again, www.ambrosiaSW.com. Check out the "upcoming" link.

I also recommend the Tomb Raider series. Not a lot of strategy required, although, it often requires finesse (mainly quick thumbs) to accomplish certain tasks.

I like the iShock -- primarily because I also have a PlayStation and it's very similar to the PS controller.

Finally, check the following mac game websites. They offer lots of info on upcoming games, as well as reviews: www.insidemacgames.com and www.macgamersledge.com.

krb

[This message has been edited by krb (edited 10-11-2000).]

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2000, 03:33 PM

i'm with krb, here. i first got escape velocity the week of finals when i was in college. such a mistake, i was up all hours playing that. i didn't think override was an incredible improvement, though i definitely played it plenty. the frozen heart plugin for override was 1st rate.

I'm also a big fan of x-wing and tie fighter. they're older, but for star wars fans not much beats jumping into an a-wing to hunt down some ties (or vice versa). you need a joystick (natch) and some time to learn the keyboard commands. i used to run co-pilot missions, one guy flying the ship, the other taking care of shields, mission info, etc. heck, i've got a copy of x-wing that you can have for $12 including shipping.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2000, 07:49 PM

I'd go for Diablo II. Click-and-kill, don't get much simpler than that

You can get it for $49.99 from www.amazon.com

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2000, 10:17 PM

I agree with freak.. Diablo II on a G4-500 with Radeon... especially as the barbarian, it's pure dash and slash. Also, for the speed freak, Star Wars Pod Racer is a bit of a kick if you use a joystick. I don't have either Q3 or UT, but I have the original Unreal and it's a good FPS in the same vein as Doom.

nagromme
Oct 20, 2000, 01:20 PM

Descent 3. My ground-pounding friends could not see why I preferred it over other FPS titles like Q3 and Unreal. Now they rarely play anything but Descent. D3 multiplayer is awesome, and the weapons are incredible--wait until you fire a Napalm Rocket into the ceiling over your opponent's ship and watch the burning liquid fall on her--and trail off her hull smoking as she flees. The Mass Driver is to the Quake Railgun like a chainsaw is to a butter knife. See my site at http://Mac.Descent3.net for Mac resources and help. Load up on free levels, the latest patch, etc.

And some advice: use the SAME controls you use for walking games (jump crouch = hover up/hover down, and mouse instead of stick). Why mess with your head learning new controls? I used stick for a long time until I switched over to ground-pounder controls and my play improved dramatically. D3 control need not be complex at all. Plus then you can switch between D3 and walking games without much difficulty. Make no mistake--D3 is not a flight sim (you can stop on a dime just like in Quake), but an FPS with an added dimension.

jonan
Oct 24, 2000, 01:28 PM

DIABLO II !!!! No doubt about it

but...

With the amazone
Ain't she cool?

And if U purchase Diablo, U can still play with the demo versions of Q3 and UT... Makes 3 games...

After that U can join the Q3 vs UT forum

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2000, 01:40 PM

You guys are forgeting the kings of Mac gaming. Bungie. I would suggest their Mac Action Sack so you get the whole Marathon series and Myst.

thewhoopimen
Oct 24, 2000, 09:52 PM

Look you guys, your all experienced gamers. For a beginner anything like UT, Quake3 or Myth/Marathon and especially Deus Ex, would be hard as hell. Something to past the time without too much hassle? Escape Velocity is great, Beachhead2000 is good, The Sims is fun, and Diablo is great 2! Not too much on the concentration curve. Pod racer is pretty good too. Acutally I'd recommend starcraft, because it as everyone knows it is still the best realtime strategy (not much really in that) game of this time. And it takes you into the game slowly so you don't flip out. Plus, its very addictive and definatley entertaining even after you finish single player. However you gotta watch your time on this one... veeerrry addictive.

imacman11
Oct 29, 2000, 05:22 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I have to say that (besides Halo) even though I haven't even played them, Hitman:Codename 47 and Max Payne are the best. Even though they aren't out for the PC yet, they had BETTER make their way to the Mac. Max is under GOD anyway, and since GOD is publishing butt loads of Mac games, hopefully we will see the light of this one. Eidos is doing Hitman...and we don't need to tell you what they do...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents

------------------
Thou shalt go forth and spread the iWord.
------------------
[email protected]
------------------
www.themacgod.com

mac freak
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2000, 11:07 PM

Acutally I'd recommend starcraft, because it as everyone knows it is still the best realtime strategy (not much really in that) game of this time.
I disagree. Even though there's no Mac version and it's a M$ game, AOE2 (Age of Kings), especially with the expansion pack, is currently the best real-time strategy.

Flame on if you must...

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules