Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your Dream Car

Your Dream Car (Page 2)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 07:11 PM

If you could have any car in the world and you people pick a Honda.

What the hell is wrong with you?!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:

GET OUT

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 07:24 PM

You guys have fun with your dream cars... let me know how my car looks like when you're trailing from behind.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by velodev:
let me know how my car looks like when you're trailing from behind.
OH SHI DUDE YOU'RE HARDCORE DAMN WHEN I GET OLD I WANNA BE JUST LIKE YOU

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
OH SHI DUDE YOU'RE HARDCORE DAMN WHEN I GET OLD I WANNA BE JUST LIKE YOU
no offense, you're a troll. this is just another thread you sound like an idiot.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 07:35 PM

Just to recap for the rest of the world:

Guy 1: hay guyz my epenis is HUEG!!! (LIEK AN XBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Guy 2: NO WAY DOOD UR HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy 1: OMFG U TROLL

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by notaclone:

Well, it's not like I could really have a car in manhattan anyway...
Yeah, but that's the kind of car you'd need.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 07:59 PM

I saw a Maybach the other day. I'll take that and the income that can afford it.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2004, 08:09 PM

Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

I have lusted over one of those for years. Perhaps I might go for the V8 Vantage Volante SWB if I was one of their 'most loyal customers". Custom built for each customer, lemans 600bhp engine, chassis mods, everything you could imagine having in an Aston. And the roof folds down. Hubba, hubba, hubba.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

george68
Banned
Jun 28, 2004, 08:13 PM

Good question. What I'm kind of disgusted is how many people list a current (new) model as their 'all time favorite'. Sure, there are some exotic new cars, but nothing like vintage iron. Older cars just have something a newer car cannot have, or ever achieve, no matter how expensive, exotic, or whatever. I think it's pretty sad that everyone is lusting after new m3s, porsches, skyline r34s, aston martins actually.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Jun 28, 2004, 08:14 PM

You guys have fun with your dream cars... let me know how my car looks like when you're trailing from behind.

I don't think you'd be ahead of an XJ220.

- Rob

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by george68:
Good question. What I'm kind of disgusted is how many people list a current (new) model as their 'all time favorite'. Sure, there are some exotic new cars, but nothing like vintage iron. Older cars just have something a newer car cannot have, or ever achieve, no matter how expensive, exotic, or whatever. I think it's pretty sad that everyone is lusting after new m3s, porsches, skyline r34s, aston martins actually.

- Rob
It's two different mentalities. True car aficionados appreciate an older car for it's engineering/history/legacy. Younger folk flock to the newer models. I think this is due in part to the fact that this is a computer based message board, where the latest and greatest is 99% lusted over.

Then again, you were pretty vague with the "older cars just have something a newer car cannot have".

And THEN AGAIN, you also did say "all time favorite" when the thread asks "Your Dream Car".

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 08:26 PM

I don't think you'd be ahead of an XJ220.

- Rob
I don't think the Xj220 would be ahead of my other dream car. Hailed as one of the closest autos to engineering perfection. McLaren.

Although, I would disagree on outrunning a Cobra. The high performance Cobra was about 520 hp @ 6500 / 480 ft lbs @ 3700rpm and just over one ton.

The XJ220 was 542.0 bhp @ 7000 rpm / 475.0 ft lbs @ 4500 rpm weighing in at 1.5 tons.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:30 PM

I don't think the Xj220 would be ahead of my other dream car. Hailed as one of the closest autos to engineering perfection. McLaren.
damn dood u won

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 08:34 PM

damn dood u won
Can you tell me when you're going to give up the banter or should I just ignore you? I am asking seriously. It's annoying.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:36 PM

Can you tell me when you're going to give up the banter or should I just ignore you? I am asking seriously. It's annoying.
oh man its jsut that u hae an answer to everythingg its amazig

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 08:38 PM

oh man its jsut that u hae an answer to everythingg its amazig
where do you come up with this? pick on someone posting new pics of their G4 15" powerbook.

"What an incredibly mature response! I look forward to reading more enlightening posts that make my brain want to grow arms and strangle you, then me."

are there any conversations you are involved with that aren't in the midst of trolling and baiting?

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:46 PM

where do you come up with this? pick on someone posting new pics of their G4 15" powerbook.

"What an incredibly mature response! I look forward to reading more enlightening posts that make my brain want to grow arms and strangle you, then me."

are there any conversations you are involved with that aren't in the midst of trolling and baiting?
Of the 60 some odd posts I've made, plenty are composed of multiple paragraphs. But with the overall quality of posts of this place, trolling is an accepted art form.

(ProTip: None of this would have transpired had you not tried to play the "HAY I MADE THE BEST CHOICE, SUCKERS!" card. You then compounded it by saying "BUT MY SECOND CHOICE STILL BEATS EVERYTHING ELSE HERE AM I RITE". Post a pict with some stats, maybe a story, and call it quits. Don't try and turn it into a "ME > U" show.)

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 09:02 PM

Of the 60 some odd posts I've made, plenty are composed of multiple paragraphs. But with the overall quality of posts of this place, trolling is an accepted art form.

(ProTip:
Amazing how you've mastered the MacNN forum temperment - thanks for the tip, but I've been here for over a year I know how things go.

Also

Cobra was about 520 hp @ 6500 / 480 ft lbs @ 3700rpm and just over one ton.

The XJ220 was 542.0 bhp @ 7000 rpm / 475.0 ft lbs @ 4500 rpm weighing in at 1.5 tons
That's a stat

That's a picture. And here's my story:

Unless you're Demonhood , gorgonzola , ThinkInsane , etc. you're in the same place as me. Don't assume I need tips on how to interact with others on the forum. I've gotten along just fine for more than a year until you came along. So keep your comments related to the thread.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 09:03 PM

Yeah Skylines are nice, but R390's are better

Since I'll probably never see one in my life however, I'll just stick with my 300ZX
are you lightfooted?

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by LegendaryPinkOx:
Yeah Skylines are nice, but R390's are better
Wow, talk about exotic. I've never even heard of this car.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 09:07 PM

Amazing how you've mastered the MacNN forum temperment - thanks for the tip, but I've been here for over a year I know how things go.

Unless you're Demonhood , gorgonzola , ThinkInsane , etc. you're in the same place as me. Don't assume I need tips on how to interact with others on the forum. I've gotten along just fine for more than a year until you came along. So keep your comments related to the thread.
I've been here since March 2000.

Have a nice day.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 09:08 PM

And because I need to pay respect to my employer.

I have an Avant but for it to be an RS6... the love affair only grows deeper. v8 biturbo AWD. 450hp. A co-worker has a sedan RS6. The only downside is that Audi still doesn't put LCD nav in their cars, not even if you spend close to 100k (well, the A8 being the exception).

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 09:09 PM

I've been here since March 2000.

Have a nice day.
Funny thing, I'm the only one of the two who acts like it.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 09:10 PM

Same here... except mine was November. Funny thing, I'm the only one of the two who acts like it.
what

velodev
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 09:13 PM

what
It basically translates to:

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 09:15 PM

It basically translates to:

I'm sorry, what?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 09:56 PM

Aston Martin DB9

I've always liked the line, and ever since I saw the DB9 on "Top Gear" it's now my #1 choice.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 10:19 PM

1973 Mustang Mach 1

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 10:34 PM

Also the Malcolm Bricklin I believe 1975 or 1976. It was really cool sports car.

george68
Banned
Jun 28, 2004, 10:43 PM

Although, I would disagree on outrunning a Cobra. The high performance Cobra was about 520 hp @ 6500 / 480 ft lbs @ 3700rpm and just over one ton.

The XJ220 was 542.0 bhp @ 7000 rpm / 475.0 ft lbs @ 4500 rpm weighing in at 1.5 tons.
See, this is what I'm talking about. A lot of the "I like the newest exotic cars" people think they know what they are talking about, but they don't. The 427 Cobra had a four speed transmission, and NO OVERDRIVE. Top gear was 1:1. Even if it had 500 billion horsepower, it would not be able to outrun an XJ220. The engine redlines between 6500 and 7000 rpms, but let's use 7000rpms. With the 3.54 final drive ratio, and in top gear, the engine would redline at 156mph. Basically, you are wrong, there is no way in f*cking hell a cobra could out run an XJ220. Ever.

Class dismissed.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Jun 28, 2004, 10:45 PM

Wow, talk about exotic. I've never even heard of this car.
Argh.

- Rob

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 11:13 PM

See, this is what I'm talking about. A lot of the "I like the newest exotic cars" people think they know what they are talking about, but they don't. The 427 Cobra had a four speed transmission, and NO OVERDRIVE. Top gear was 1:1. Even if it had 500 billion horsepower, it would not be able to outrun an XJ220. The engine redlines between 6500 and 7000 rpms, but let's use 7000rpms. With the 3.54 final drive ratio, and in top gear, the engine would redline at 156mph. Basically, you are wrong, there is no way in f*cking hell a cobra could out run an XJ220. Ever.

Class dismissed.

- Rob
thanks for saving me the typing.

Even with proper high-speed gearing it wouldn't go much faster, the Cobra is about as aerodynamic as a billboard. It takes *big* power to overcome wind resistance at that speed. Stick your hand out the window at highway speeds. Lots of drag, huh? Now hold a piece of plywood out the window...a piece about one square meter in size.

Now hold another one.

Accelerate to 156MPH

You're getting real close to feeling the drag associated with a Cobra.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Jun 28, 2004 at 11:19 PM. )

george68
Banned
Jun 28, 2004, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
thanks for saving me the typing.

Even with proper high-speed gearing it wouldn't go much faster, the Cobra is about as aerodynamic as a billboard. It takes *big* power to overcome wind resistance at that speed. Stick your hand out the window at highway speeds. Lots of drag, huh? Now hold a piece of plywood out the window...a piece about one square meter in size.

Now hold another one.

Accelerate to 156MPH

You're getting real close to feeling the drag associated with a Cobra.
Agreed 100%. The drag coefficient of the cobra is horrid compared to the svelte xj220's .36.

- Rob

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 11:51 PM

I also wouldn't mind an Eleanor.

(a 1967 Shelby GT)

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 12:34 AM

- Rob
I'm just not sure why you can't accept other people have different opinions of their dream car... no matter what year they were created in.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 12:41 AM

Class dismissed.

- Rob
Eh, you got me... I'm out of my element when it comes to gear ratio's and the like. Based upon the stats I do understand, it just seemed to me like the Cobra has the initial balls to take an XJ220 - however, even without your post I couldn't figure a Cobra to win in top speed. I mean, I do know that.

george68
Banned
Jun 29, 2004, 12:46 AM

Eh, you got me... I'm out of my element when it comes to gear ratio's and the like. Based upon the stats I do understand, it just seemed to me like the Cobra has the initial balls to take an XJ220 - however, even without your post I couldn't figure a Cobra to win in top speed. I mean, I do know that.
I can accept it. I can also accept that most of the opinions are pathetic. There are SO MANY GREAT older cars, and most people are just like "OMG I want the newest M3 or the newest porsche or the newest this or that!" It's freaking lame, and helps convince me that most people 'do not exist'/think for themselves, instead their brains get programmed by society.

- Rob

george68
Banned
Jun 29, 2004, 12:47 AM

however, even without your post I couldn't figure a Cobra to win in top speed. I mean, I do know that.
Double neg- So you meant "With your post I could figure a Cobra to win in top speed", which is still incorrect.

- Rob

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 12:55 AM

Double neg- So you meant "With your post I could figure a Cobra to win in top speed", which is still incorrect.

- Rob
Not entirely... I'll rephrase it.

let's say you never posted about overdrive, gear ratio, 1:1, etc, etc. - I would not have the assumption the Cobra could win in top speed (non-distance). and lets say you did post about overdrive, gear ratio, 1:1, etc., etc. - I would not have the assumption the Cobra would win in top speed (non-distance). Follow?

Removing the double negative makes the comment incorrect, but in this case the double negative is unrelated... unlike "I didn't not know..."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 05:26 AM

hey ! there is a Maybach on ebay, we can do a collect and then...

george68
Banned
Jun 29, 2004, 08:12 AM

Removing the double negative makes the comment incorrect, but in this case the double negative is unrelated... unlike "I didn't not know..."
Good christ. You just said: 'NOT like "I did know". Learn to speak, please.

- Rob

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 09:52 AM

Good christ. You just said: 'NOT like "I did know". Learn to speak, please.

- Rob
Stop being a child. The "unlike" was an example of bad grammar. It was "not like" I said "I didn't not know."

I don't speak like that. I was using it as an example of what would be wrong. I compared the bad grammar with my initial sentence which does not suffer from a double negative.

In reality, it's a ****ing forum - not my thesis. Learn how to read.

deomacius
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 10:55 AM

What can I say. I like Honda's!

You reap what you sow.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 12:57 PM

Theoretically and technically correct, young jedi. The only problem with the scenario in real life is that Jaguar completely forgot to fit any kind of worthwhile braking system to the 220, effectively meaning that unless you're on a 10 mile straight you can't get a decent amount of speed out of it without killing yourself at the next corner.

Sad but true.

I don't know about the Cobra brakes, so this isn't a "the Cobra can mince it with the 220" type post - it's just for info.

velodev
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 01:02 PM

"One of the best stats for the original 427/SC Cobra is 0-100-0 in 14 seconds. A real nice Ferrari 275 GTB/4 from the same year can do 0-100 in about 15 seconds. Now if you got a real nice 427 Corvette from 1967, the 435 hp version, and had a clean pass, when you got to 100mph,the Cobra would already be parked, pipes and brakes sizzling, having already been there and back."

random quote on the net. i've already been showed up once... this is just for info, not to spark another debate. it's still one of my dream cars.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 01:11 PM

"One of the best stats for the original 427/SC Cobra is 0-100-0 in 14 seconds. A real nice Ferrari 275 GTB/4 from the same year can do 0-100 in about 15 seconds. Now if you got a real nice 427 Corvette from 1967, the 435 hp version, and had a clean pass, when you got to 100mph,the Cobra would already be parked, pipes and brakes sizzling, having already been there and back."
Along these lines, did you know that, according to Porsche, the current Porsche GT2 (996) will go 0-100-0 before the current Turbo (996) has reached 100?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 02:17 PM

I can accept it. I can also accept that most of the opinions are pathetic. There are SO MANY GREAT older cars, and most people are just like "OMG I want the newest M3 or the newest porsche or the newest this or that!" It's freaking lame, and helps convince me that most people 'do not exist'/think for themselves, instead their brains get programmed by society.

- Rob
Just because people don't agree with you, or because they have similar favorites that aren't yours, doesn't mean they don't think for themselves.

Despite your rants about how disgusted you are about people who pick newer cars as their dream cars, your list seems to have a G35, Porsche 911 (you didn't quilify only older/vintage models), SVX (shich is not a vintage car - nothing wrong with it, but just not in the "classic car" category you appear to be speaking), & the Forrester XT.

Just because someone didn't put a classic car as a dream car, doesn't mean that they don't appreciate the beauty and timelessness of a '67 Camero, '68 Shelby GT500, or a '57 Porsche Speedster.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 03:02 PM

of course, how could I not put this one on my list, I love it !!!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 03:08 PM

Interesting facts about the McLaren:

1) Above 100 mph, they accelerate faster than an F1 car (less drag).

2) Drive along at tickover in second. Ask your passenger to touch his/her toes. Accelerate, all the way to the top of the gear. The sustained acceleration will make all the blood rush out of your passenger's head, causing them to blackout - guaranteed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules