Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dexter TV series

Dexter TV series (Page 2)
selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Dokes is brillantly done, although lately I feel like he's been cast a little too much as comic relief. But I think Dexter is probably one of the best characters I've ever seen on TV. Michael Hall is really shining in this role (which, when you think about it, is a little disturbing).
I agree Sgt. Doakes is a great character. You like him in spite of his holier-than-thou, overly serious demeanor. Although he sometimes risks self-parody and comparisons to Inspector Javert, he definitely helps create an excellent subplot to the series. What fun!

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2007, 10:00 PM

Really enjoyed season one; watched with my wife and we both liked it.

So where's the 2nd season on iTunes?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 10:07 PM

the first didn't come to itunes until it had ended on tv. might be the same with season 2

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
the first didn't come to itunes until it had ended on tv. might be the same with season 2
The TV industry still doesn't get it: They don't give us what we want when we want it and they make us pay for stuff we don't watch. Is it any wonder that folks who otherwise would pay for the content (e.g., $1.99 per episode on iTunes) end up downloading from bittorrent for nothing?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 10:42 PM

or that apple perhaps could have an agreement with showtime to only allow download until after the season is over to make showtime more ratings when they do reruns of their shows?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 11:03 PM

or that apple perhaps could have an agreement with showtime to only allow download until after the season is over to make showtime more ratings when they do reruns of their shows?
Oh, yes. I'm sure they do indeed have such an agreement. But I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $6.95/month for Showtime just to get Dexter. The season is what, eight months long? I'd much rather pay $24.00 or so for Season Two, but I want it soon after it is broadcast, not a year later.

Here's hoping the trend toward à la carte programming gains momentum.

Still, I can't get over how great the show is.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 12:19 AM

meh, patience younge grasshopper. there shall be a time of straight to your head for your personal viewing pleasure soon enough. i personally don't care when i see a show or not. not like it's going to be any different if someone starts to watch the first season of ER on dvd right now. if a show is entertaining then it will be in the future. no one needs to watch it RIGHT when the first showing is. it's cool to be able to an all, but like with the show dexter, I didn't even know about it until this thread, and downloaded the season and watched it and i still enjoyed it even though the season had been over for a while. I can dwell on how some people circle their lives around HAVING to watch the first showing of a show; and will drop anything on their schedule to do so, but that can be for another thread.

anyways, yeah the show is a great show; and for me, heh, they could do some sort of longer, more gorey "dexter vs victim" special DVD. which is my one complaint with the show though. it has blood and tits, *but the "dexter vs victim" scenes could be more graphic.

*grew up with horror flicks, so i'm desensitized to gore and all that on tv/movies. so the more the better.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 01:31 AM

Grasshopper, eh? That only serves to remind me that Kung Fu: The Legend Continues is still not yet available on DVD.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 01:40 AM

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 08:11 AM

My bad. Never mind.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 01:48 PM

no worries. gunna buy the set now?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 01:53 PM

no worries. gunna buy the set now?
Tempted. I just can't get enough of Kung Fu: TLC, cheesy though it is. David Carradine is so much fun to watch that I can forgive the occasional corniness and suspend my disbelief.

An exchange that you'd never see on the show:
PETER CAINE: Pop, the Sing Wa have captured the Ancient. Do you think he is in "great danger"?
KWAI CHANG CAINE: No. Lo Si will be ... all right. He can ... take care of ... himself.
Nobody pauses like he does.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 01:56 PM

what about shatner? </lame joke>

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2007, 01:58 PM

what about shatner? </lame joke>
But ... Bones ... there's ... still ... human ... life ... down ... there.

I love Star Trek, but Shatner definitely took overacting and egomania to absurd levels. It's probably why Boston Legal works so well.

WackBigMac
Baninated
Dec 7, 2007, 11:24 PM

Okay, I just finished season 2. It was a great season... season one, in retrospect, seems more like character building, and 2 is where the storyline actually starts to happen. However.... the last few minutes of the last episode just left me... empty. It was like they didn't try to 'tie up the series', like they did with season one. This time it just ended rather abruptly. It was strange.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by WackBigMac View Post
Okay, I just finished season 2. It was a great season... season one, in retrospect, seems more like character building, and 2 is where the storyline actually starts to happen. However.... the last few minutes of the last episode just left me... empty. It was like they didn't try to 'tie up the series', like they did with season one. This time it just ended rather abruptly. It was strange.
The second season isn't over yet

Episode 11 and 12 haven't been broadcast yet, so um. Unless you've got some screeners that you've been peeking at the season isn't over yet.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 8, 2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post

Episode 11 and 12 haven't been broadcast yet, so um. Unless you've got some screeners that you've been peeking at the season isn't over yet.

V
You're dealing with rob/ca$h there.

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You're dealing with rob/ca$h there.
Roger that.

V

WackBigMac
Baninated
Dec 8, 2007, 05:08 PM

V
They are widely available on torrent sites, in HD quality.

Anyway, if once you watch them, I'd be interested to hear if you felt the same way I did. Dexter is my favorite show, and this season just ended rather... abruptly.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2007, 08:44 PM

good season so far

WackBigMac
Baninated
Dec 8, 2007, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
good season so far
Yeah, overall I liked the 2nd season better. 1st season was just character development of Dexter, and 2nd season was what happens to him, and him reacting to things, not just the same tune and dance each episode. But yeah...ending to 1st season> ending to 2nd season.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by WackBigMac View Post
They are widely available on torrent sites, in HD quality.

Anyway, if once you watch them, I'd be interested to hear if you felt the same way I did. Dexter is my favorite show, and this season just ended rather... abruptly.
I've also watched 11 and 12. I really liked this season. Not quite as good as the first season, I think, but still fantastic. I didn't really find the ending abrupt at all, I just thought the whole storyline was a little too fast-paced.

I also read the books a few months ago, and I have to say that I think the show is significantly better than the books. I feel like the writers of the show, and Michael Hall especially, did a much better job of portraying Dexter as a character than even the original author did. I'm not sure if I liked the plotline of the second season more or less than the second book, but I think the show did a much better job with the details and made the characters much more believable (especially Deb, and especially the main difference for her character between the end of the first book and the end of the first season).

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 08:37 AM

I agree that the series are better than the books. There is just so much more character development in the TV series. The book concentrates so much on Dexter and the children.

I still have one episode to go.. I'm not going to rush it. Who knows when (and if) we'll see a new season of Dexter?

V

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 08:48 AM

Who knows when (and if) we'll see a new season of Dexter?
Well, there are signs at least that a third season is planned, but with the writers' strike, who knows how that will interfere with those plans. I'll feel better once we see an official press release.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2007, 09:18 AM

There better be a third season. I'm already dying in anticipation, and I'm usually the last person to get impatient.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 11:43 AM

any clue when the 2nd season will be on itunes?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 02:05 PM

any clue when the 2nd season will be on itunes?
Don't hold your breath.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 05:28 PM

I'll agree that the end to this season kind of left me empty. still a great show/season. one of my absolute favorites.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I'll agree that the end to this season kind of left me empty. still a great show/season. one of my absolute favorites.
I think Season One was better although Season Two is still superior to just about anything else on television.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 11:08 AM

I liked Season 2 better than Season 1, but both were excellent. Season 2 was just excellenter.

BTW, I really liked the addition of the Lila character this season. Very powerful and nuanced portrayal by Jaime Murray without resorting to overt histrionics.

Looking forward to Season 3.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2008, 01:53 PM

I saw that it's going to be airing on CBS (undoubtedly chopped up significantly for broadcast TV) starting this Sunday. Season 1, that is.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 02:03 PM

Yeah, I wonder how butchered the CBS version is going to be.

And what are they gonna do with the boobies? Digital pasties?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 03:01 PM

I wish the U.S. would get over it's unhealthy aversion to boobies.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2008, 03:08 PM

Downloaded and watched the first two seasons and LOVED them. Just bought season 1 on DVD, too. Anyone know when s3 is supposed to start?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2008, 03:25 PM

I think October.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2008, 04:52 PM

I so love this series. The thing that bothers me is how much will CBS butcher it.

Just think CBS will have to censor every word out of SGT.Dokkes(spelling?) mouth, ah hell they'll have to censor virtually every scene.

It's great that the show has gotten attention from the big wigs over at CBS but I fear that it'll be watered down a bit for the masses.

Can't wait for a proper season 3 of Dexter on Showtime.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

Rumor
Aug 20, 2009, 12:50 PM

I tried to revive this thread, but to no avail.

Anyhow, I watched the first episode of season four last night. The show is still as good as ever, and has a lot of humor in it. I am glad that the season is finally starting.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2009, 01:10 PM

Haven't watched it yet, will probably do so tonight. Really looking forward to it. Love the show.

Cold Warrior
Aug 20, 2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I tried to revive this thread, but to no avail.

Anyhow, I watched the first episode of season four last night. The show is still as good as ever, and has a lot of humor in it. I am glad that the season is finally starting.
I've merged your new thread with this one. Threads auto-lock after a certain time period. A mod can always bump it and it'll reset the timer.

Cold Warrior
Aug 20, 2009, 01:55 PM

I don't see Season 4 starting until late September.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 02:27 PM

I love the show. A few things stick in my craw, although they don't detract much from the enjoyment of the show:
  1. There's no way that even someone as clever as Dexter could effectively fake an addiction to heroin, esp. not to a veteran like Rita (esp. in Seasons One and Two). No track marks at all? And why would she still tolerate his late-night disappearances? It's an interesting idea, and dramatically it works well as a proxy for Dex's Dark Passenger, but it definitely strains credibility.
  2. As far as I know, there have been no African-American serial killers. So why do so few doubt that Doakes is the Bar Harbour Butcher? They do imply that Special Agent Frank Lundy (who apparently reappears in Season Four -- yay!) has his doubts, and certainly Maria LaGuerta still doesn't believe it, but everyone else seems to fall into line. Yes, Doakes is a violent loner, somewhat obsessive, a veteran of Special Ops, etc. But he's also a respected detective, disliked by many but respected by all. It works, ultimately, I suppose, to keep Dex from being caught. But it's tragic.
  3. I really miss Paul Bennett, Rita's ex-husband. A great, really interesting character.
  4. Does anybody really believe that Dexter would keep stored in his GPS the location of the cabin in the Everglades where Santos Jimenez (killer of his biological mother, Laura Moser) was killed and where Doakes dies as well so that Lila could stumble upon it? There's no chance of that whatsoever. It's a convenient device (literally) for the plot of Left Turn Ahead (S01E11), but it a huge stretch to imagine that Dexter would be so careless after having eluded authorities for some many years while killing several dozen people.
Just needed to get those off my chest to people I know are watching.

Rumor
Aug 20, 2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I've merged your new thread with this one. Threads auto-lock after a certain time period. A mod can always bump it and it'll reset the timer.
Thanks.
I don't see Season 4 starting until late September.
The pre-air is up on a certain site.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 06:40 PM

Oh, and I forgot to add:
  1. At the close of Season Two, instead of being horrified at the kidnapping of her two children, Astor and Cody, and their near-murder, along with Dexter, at the hands of Lila, she seems to blithely accept it. Many relationships have fallen apart for much less. It's pretty absurdly convenient, though I understand why the producers/writers did it that way.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2009, 05:12 AM

I just watched the pre-air. God its good to be a pirate! Anyways, I watched it. Um... I need to re-watch it. Anyone who watched the show evolve during the first 5 episodes of season 1 knows what I mean.

Now La Guerrtia is back to her horn dog self and after Angel? Please. Thats just a bit too far for me. Lou's & dicks don't mix. Not like this. But it IS hollywood. First few episodes she was all hot and bothered for Dex, then all of a sudden she cooled it and wasn't into him. Sudden change. you know it was the writers being told to change it because it didn't play well. And here we are, back to square one. Jesus someone get that woman a monster lay and just get it out of her system. I mean seriously, if I don't see her tits I'm gonna be pissed.

You'd think that by now Dex would have figured out delegation of duties with the baby. Guess not.

Rita.... oh Rita. Only 3 months after a baby and already breaking out the sex toys? And so stern all of a sudden? First with the shattered house frau, then with the strong woman. Then with the "I'll kick you out if you don't quit drugs" woman. Then the whimpering indecisive woman. Oy vey.

It feels like the writers keep getting swapped out every few shows and the new ones get to take their characters in all new directions.

And John Lithgow? He was on screen for all of 3 or 4 minutes. Tops. ****, the heads of the show need to pull their collective heads out of their asses, step aside and let someone else run it who can make that show what it REALLY should have been. This is turning into one of those predictable soaps one can sum up with a 4 line 1 paragraph summary.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2009, 08:20 AM

I just watched the Season Four opener, too, and I'm not too thrilled. Lundy's return (as a retiree, no less) feels really forced. What's he gonna do, whack the killer over the head with his shuffleboard stick? The fallout from Dex' car wreck is probably quite predictable, too.

OreoCookie
Aug 21, 2009, 08:44 AM

Let's hope this gets better.

Unless the writers surprise us (yet again), this screams of lack of ideas and a season full of TV stereotypes.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Aug 23, 2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2009, 12:51 PM

yes... thank you oreo.. thats exactly what I was trying to say, a season full of TV stereotypes.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Rumor
Aug 22, 2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post

Geez, at least try to use the tags for those that haven't seen it yet.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 23, 2009, 03:40 AM

Pity, a new thread with a link to the old was precisely what we wanted to achieve with the auto-lock, and you undid it! The whole point was to prevent zombie threads, which this is a poster child of.

Cold Warrior
Aug 23, 2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Pity, a new thread with a link to the old was precisely what we wanted to achieve with the auto-lock, and you undid it! The whole point was to prevent zombie threads, which this is a poster child of.
zombie threads where they offer little to nothing of value because they're so old. More obscure topics with infrequent posting can still be useful if bumped after an auto-lock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules