Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Reactions to the iPad

Reactions to the iPad (Page 2)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I looked it up, and it seems you are correct. I had mistakenly assumed Apple's 3rd party application support early on was for native apps. Nope, Apple only wanted the web interface. In that case, if Apple had stuck to its guns, it could have screwed itself over. I'm glad Apple saw the light, or else the iPhone would not have been as successful.
Firstly, we're not arguing "successful"; we're arguing "revolutionary". Actual market success is secondary, as the Macintosh shows.

Second, the iPhone WAS a success long before the app store.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Second, the iPhone WAS a success long before the app store.
If it weren't for the jailbreaking community taking app matters into their own hands long before Apple created an official app store, I suspect we would never have seen an official App Store. That probably wouldn't have affected the success of the iPhone, but Apple is today very clearly equating their number of Apps and number of downloads with iPhone success.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 2, 2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
If it weren't for the jailbreaking community taking app matters into their own hands long before Apple created an official app store, I suspect we would never have seen an official App Store.
Is this based on anything but conjecture?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
If it weren't for the jailbreaking community taking app matters into their own hands long before Apple created an official app store, I suspect we would never have seen an official App Store. That probably wouldn't have affected the success of the iPhone, but Apple is today very clearly equating their number of Apps and number of downloads with iPhone success.
That's pure speculation, though I happen to agree that Apple saw the immense demand and decided to roll with it.

However, as mentioned above, that's completely irrelevant to the argument at hand - whether the device (and this new device) are revolutionary or not.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2010, 04:57 PM

Tech pundits were craving more than a giant iTouch. They didn't get it so they whine.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2010, 07:01 PM

I have to say, I was craving pretty much exactly a giant iPod touch. Besides expecting a slightly more novel text-input method, I don’t think I was predicting anything more. As MacRumors’ Arnold Kim has been saying on Twitter, the extra size alone makes it more useful. I would add that it makes it especially more useful for content creation vs. just consumption, despite what folks are saying about the iPad being a consumption-focused device. No, it’s not ideal for writing or spreadsheets or whatever, but it’s super portable and probably at least as useful as a netbook in that regard.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 07:45 PM

The general reaction seems to be: /yawn
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
The general reaction seems to be: /yawn
I know. No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Is this based on anything but conjecture?
Other than when Steve said that 3rd party apps on the iPhone could crash the cellular network and that the only apps would be web-based, yes, complete conjecture.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Not iSteal ?

-t

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2010, 12:43 AM

iPhone apps? I wanted a computer.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2010, 01:46 AM

Man, does your average internet commentator/forum poster HATE the iPad. Sometimes I forget that there is this whole other world out there, populated by people who get angry about things like iPads and the people who buy them.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Man, does your average internet commentator/forum poster HATE the iPad. Sometimes I forget that there is this whole other world out there, populated by people who get angry about things like iPads and the people who buy them.
And lets just wait and see how big the line ups are when it comes out. My bet is that it will sell like hotcakes as always.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2010, 02:30 AM

I'm not going to be able to afford an iPad on Day 1, but I'll almost definitely be picking one up within roughly 6 months.

I like the idea of carrying my books on an iPad, and it serves more purposes than a Kindle or Nook by far. Instead of buying one of those alternative eBook readers that serve only one function, I can get an iPad that will be used primarily (by me, at least) for web browsing, emails, calendar adjustments, reading, studying, listening to music, and taking down meeting notes in Pages.

Why wouldn't I just use my laptop?

Because every day I lug around a murse (see #3 on UD) that carries the following items at all times: computer, power cord, iPhone power cord, two books, one Bible, Flip Ultra HD, and a sketchbook. All of this weight slung over my shoulders 24/7 has almost certainly been one of the primary causes of the back problems I've had at a still-young age.

If I get an iPad, I can just bring an iPad and the Flip Ultra HD. That's all (the sketchbook isn't 100% necessary). I know it doesn't do EVERYTHING my computer does, but I don't need it to. The only days in which I would need to bring my MBP to the office are days in which I know I'll need to be doing some photo editing. It's ultra-portable, and wouldn't be much of a hassle to take anywhere. And if it helps my back in the process, then hip hip hooray, etc.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm not going to be able to afford an iPad on Day 1, but I'll almost definitely be picking one up within roughly 6 months.

I like the idea of carrying my books on an iPad, and it serves more purposes than a Kindle or Nook by far. Instead of buying one of those alternative eBook readers that serve only one function, I can get an iPad that will be used primarily (by me, at least) for web browsing, emails, calendar adjustments, reading, studying, listening to music, and taking down meeting notes in Pages.

Why wouldn't I just use my laptop?

Because every day I lug around a murse (see #3 on UD) that carries the following items at all times: computer, power cord, iPhone power cord, two books, one Bible, Flip Ultra HD, and a sketchbook. All of this weight slung over my shoulders 24/7 has almost certainly been one of the primary causes of the back problems I've had at a still-young age.
Can't you get a Bible on iPhone version or is that really something you always need to carry with you?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2010, 04:43 AM

Yes.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Oh, I totally forgot that only Apple can make programs for the iPad. Here I was thinking that, just like on the Mac and even the iPhone, many of the most popular apps would be third-party.
Um, Apple just released a new version of Xcode that supports iPad development.
Where did you get the idea that only Apple would be writing code for the iPad?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2010, 06:49 AM

Someone breakout the sarcasm meter for msuper. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Someone breakout the sarcasm meter for msuper. . .
I can be so dense sometimes. I blame it on old age.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Why don't you trade in your 360 to buy one?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Can't you get a Bible on iPhone version or is that really something you always need to carry with you?
Trying to read any book (including those on the Kindle app) on the iPhone requires incessant scrolling. Drives me crazy.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yes.

Sorry, already have that one.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Why don't you trade in your 360 to buy one?
What makes this even worse is the fact that it's EXACTLY the same joke my wife cracked the day the iPad was announced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules