Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tragic luge run

Tragic luge run
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 05:29 PM

Georgia republic luger Nodar Kumaritashvili dies after training crash over wall at Whistler - ESPN

(or take your news outlet pick)

what a dumbass design; the structure, etc around the worlds fastest luge curve ever...

video: Watch Luge Training Accident - Vancouver 2010 Video | Break.com

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 05:45 PM

Horrible...

We always forget how lethal some of these sports can be. Something can go wrong in a split-second and jar us back to reality. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

And yes, that design is ridiculous. This could be a very big problem for Vancouver.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 05:56 PM

i realize athletes push themselves and each other more and more; to win and be on top in the biggest stage of their sport. and not just luge, you are right...things can go wrong in a slit-second.

but this didn't need to happen. this rests solely on the designer(s) and the ones who approved the structure. come on, really?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 06:01 PM

Yeah. Come on Canada

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 12, 2010, 06:06 PM

Wow, that really sucks. I wonder how fast he was actually going when he hit
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 06:13 PM

I don't think they have nearly enough steel poles to stop the lugers from getting off the tracks when they crash.

I cannot believe that those walls aren't taller or those poles aren't padded.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 06:25 PM

i don't think padding the poles would help. maybe the plexi they use around hockey rinks; so the luge runners would stay inside the track. contain them better.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 06:37 PM

Wow, that video was brutal.

Maybe a couple of sheets of plywood blocking off those exposed steel beams guys? Jesus.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 12, 2010, 09:23 PM

Jesus. That is poor design. If they are going to put a structure there, fine, do it, but put a wall all the way up it, so if someone does lose it, they just keep skittering down the pipe. Massive design FAIL.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 12, 2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Jesus. That is poor design. If they are going to put a structure there, fine, do it, but put a wall all the way up it, so if someone does lose it, they just keep skittering down the pipe. Massive design FAIL.
They don't want to interfere with the oh-so-exciting camera placement. What's a Georgian or two versus ratings?
Nemo me impune lacesset

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 12, 2010, 09:34 PM

Too soon?

Picture of the rider in the process of impacting the steel columns removed...because it is too soon.
( Last edited by ghporter; Feb 13, 2010 at 05:35 PM. )

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Feb 12, 2010, 10:21 PM

The design is unsafe. I wonder if the German designer had any safety concerns, or whether he considered only speed.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 10:55 PM

Too soon?
Yes.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 03:07 AM

I've never understood the luge/bobsled/skeleton events. It just seems like a very bad idea.

Of course, I'd hate to see the numbers on how many people's lives have been irreversibly changed or even ended by injuries sustained during football.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 13, 2010, 03:43 AM

Soccer > Football. Football is a fat american sport.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Yeah. Come on Canada
Canada? Seriously? A tragic accident happens and that's the mud you chose to sling? At the very least do a little research before making a dumb comment like that.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2010, 11:20 AM

The official line is basically "pilot error." The organizers say the luge rider came out of turn 15 late which made his entry into 16 late, and while he tried to compensate, it wasn't enough. Now is it just me or is this 90MPH luge track something like 40% faster than any previous track? If it's even 20% faster, that means that NOBODY has enough experience on such a fast track to be able to gauge speed and turn entry/exit. From what I've read, Kumaritashvili was a very good rider, even within Olympic-level circles. So how could a very good rider make such a relatively minor timing error and wind up dying?

The answer to that is those stupid steel pillars that support something like a walkway over the track. In the past, people have been hurt, sometimes badly, by flying off the luge track. They wind up with some pretty serious orthopedic injuries like multiple broken bones, even spinal fractures. But they don't die at the trauma center a short time after their accidents. The track IS at fault, not really because of how fast it is but because of the stupid pillars around it. They don't need padding, they need to not be there at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 11:49 AM

Sure, "pilot error" resulted in the crash. Design error resulted in the death.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2010, 11:51 AM

Yep. Pilot error, but that design isn't very good.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Now is it just me or is this 90MPH luge track something like 40% faster than any previous track?
Seems like 90mph is a common speed on artificial tracks.
HowStuffWorks "How Luge Works"

Sealobo
Feb 13, 2010, 12:21 PM

wow... that's a ****ed up course design...

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn View Post
The design is unsafe. I wonder if the German designer had any safety concerns, or whether he considered only speed.
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The official line is basically "pilot error."
I suppose "pilot error" sounds better than "it's the German guy's fault", as if they left the German designer all alone for months and months to build the track all by himself, with no oversight whatsoever by Canadian officials.

Did the German guy also design the flame cauldron that malfunctioned (during opening ceremony) without any oversight? If so, my money is on the German guy being deported ASAP.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Canada? Seriously? A tragic accident happens and that's the mud you chose to sling? At the very least do a little research before making a dumb comment like that.
Hi, can I introduce you to sarcasm...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i don't think padding the poles would help. maybe the plexi they use around hockey rinks; so the luge runners would stay inside the track. contain them better.
Padding the pole?! DId you see the video? when you are flying at 150k / hour it really won't matter what you hit you're screwed.

No matter how you design the course if you fall off at the wrong time you are getting launched. If he didn't hit that pole he could have hit a tree 500m away and it would have still killed him.

Pretty stupid and unsafe sport to begin with. I mean who thinks it is a good idea to slide down ice going that fast wearing nothing but tights and a crappy faceplate.

Rumor
Feb 13, 2010, 01:57 PM

Padding the pole wouldn't help at that speed. Especially when initial contact was with his testicles.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2010, 02:20 PM

Hi, can I introduce you to sarcasm...
Ok, sorry, my bad.

gradient
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Padding the pole wouldn't help at that speed. Especially when initial contact was with his testicles.
Padding the poles would also be a admission of a design flaw, opening up anyone who had anything to do with the design to legal action. Sad but true.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Padding the pole?! DId you see the video? when you are flying at 150k / hour it really won't matter what you hit you're screwed.

No matter how you design the course if you fall off at the wrong time you are getting launched. If he didn't hit that pole he could have hit a tree 500m away and it would have still killed him.

Pretty stupid and unsafe sport to begin with. I mean who thinks it is a good idea to slide down ice going that fast wearing nothing but tights and a crappy faceplate.
The most obvious solution would to have a chain-link fence around the perimeter. I've been to a bobsled track that had that, I don't see why this track wouldn't.

But yeah, it's probably the stupidest idea for a sport ever in terms of safety.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2010, 02:29 PM

i said padding the pole wouldn't help. Did you read my post? and yes i saw the video, i'm the one that posted so it really won't matter what you say in the rest of your post cause you're screwed.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 03:36 PM

But yeah, it's probably the stupidest idea for a sport ever in terms of safety.
Nope. It can only claim second place for that honor. Stupider is doing the exact same thing *head first*.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 13, 2010, 03:37 PM

Padding the pole?! DId you see the video?
Did you read what he wrote? He agrees with you. He was saying using some polycarb would help, right there. If you fly up, you just keep skittering down the track, instead of instant death.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Nope. It can only claim second place for that honor. Stupider is doing the exact same thing *head first*.
You'd still have to be mental

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
actually, i would prefer the Skeleton (head first) then the luge...for purely steering/visual help. feet first looking over your package (guys) or pontoons (gals) isn't the best way watch where you need to go

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 13, 2010, 05:24 PM

actually, i would prefer the Skeleton (head first) then the luge...for purely steering/visual help. feet first looking over your package (guys) or pontoons (gals) isn't the best way watch where you need to go
Yeah, but I think it'd hurt your neck to look upwards like that. But I guess your right, I mean, my package is SO huge, it would kind of block the view. Maybe I could use it for steering or something.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2010, 05:39 PM

extra ballast? hahahaha

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2010, 05:48 PM

There have been safety complaints for months about this course. Too bad no one listened.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2010, 11:22 PM

Thanks ghporter for deleting that pic. Pretty f*cked up and tasteless if you ask me.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2010, 12:25 AM

unfortunate

but I can't imagine that there is any other reason people watch this but for the occasional wipeouts. It has the same lure for people as NASCAR and Indy.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2010, 03:23 AM

I just read that Nodar's Ukrainian teammate has withdrawn from the competition. Instead, the guy is walking around the grounds, wearing a black armband.

To each their own, but I think that's pretty weak. If he wants to honor Nodar, he should aim to finish the course in competition. Even if sliding down at a really slow speed, I think it would have been the right thing to do. Not for me or the media or anyone else, but for the teammate himself. He might end up kicking himself for a long time for deciding to withdraw.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2010, 01:43 PM

i said padding the pole wouldn't help. Did you read my post? and yes i saw the video, i'm the one that posted so it really won't matter what you say in the rest of your post cause you're screwed.
yes i did.
"i don't think padding the poles would help. maybe the plexi they use around hockey rinks; so the luge runners would stay inside the track. contain them better."

My responce;
"Padding the pole?! DId you see the video? when you are flying at 150k / hour it really won't matter what you hit you're screwed.

Poll, 3 foot thick mattress, wont matter at that speed with that outfit. Really stupid unsafe sport but there the one where you go down head first is even worse

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2010, 01:55 PM

Really stupid unsafe sport but there the one where you go down head first is even worse
It's called, of all things, "Skeleton" and another called "Cresta"
Skeleton (sport) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cresta Run - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
45/47

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2010, 02:57 PM

Soccer > Football. Football is a fat american sport.
Yeah, in soccer they only pretend to get hurt. I'd rather watch curling than soccer.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2010, 03:27 PM

yes i did.
"i don't think padding the poles would help. maybe the plexi they use around hockey rinks; so the luge runners would stay inside the track. contain them better."

My responce;
"Padding the pole?! DId you see the video? when you are flying at 150k / hour it really won't matter what you hit you're screwed.

Poll, 3 foot thick mattress, wont matter at that speed with that outfit. Really stupid unsafe sport but there the one where you go down head first is even worse
That's why he said he didn't think it would help.

You have a rather belligerent way of ag(g)reeing.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That's why he said he didn't think it would help.

You have a rather belligerent way of ag(g)reeing.
Hey, you win some, you Luge some.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 14, 2010, 06:42 PM

AhahAHhahhahahahaahahahaha.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2010, 07:11 PM

1080p video (20MB) from my TiVo if anyone wants to see it.

Regardless of the track speed (NBC's sliding guy said it averages 90mph while most average 80), it appears to be a horrible design with bare I beams at the corner exit. Obviously exiting the track was a concern because they had small (8"?) raised barriers near that section.

Using the ladies start (wtf did they have a different start anyway?) makes the first half of the track really boring.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
I just read that Nodar's Ukrainian teammate has withdrawn from the competition. Instead, the guy is walking around the grounds, wearing a black armband.

To each their own, but I think that's pretty weak. If he wants to honor Nodar, he should aim to finish the course in competition. Even if sliding down at a really slow speed, I think it would have been the right thing to do. Not for me or the media or anyone else, but for the teammate himself. He might end up kicking himself for a long time for deciding to withdraw.
Better than being dead.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2010, 10:38 PM

Lugers can use their feet to slow themselves significantly, so I think he could have made it down OK.

However, I do recognize that the official position on the matter is crap, so perhaps that is reason more to say "screw this whole thing".

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2010, 11:18 PM

Many ski race courses are difficult and infamous for being dangerous to skiers. At the end of the day, having a luger come out of the track is almost unheard-of; this guy was young, and by all accounts quite inexperienced for what he was doing and especially for that particular track.

Terrible combination, and a sad start for the Olympics.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
At the end of the day, having a luger come out of the track is almost unheard-of; this guy was young, and by all accounts quite inexperienced for what he was doing and especially for that particular track.
I think it's been well documented that this isn't your standard run-of-the-mill track. After all, the lugers themselves named the 16th turn "50-50" before the tragedy even occurred. Such a nickname doesn't lead me to believe that it was just one luger having problems with the track...

The day before the Georgian died, Sweeney had a near identical crash on the 16th curve. "It was almost the exact same crash," said (US Coach Ron) Rossi, "but she didn't go so high."

Sweeney says she has tried to wipe away the incident but conceded: "There's something missing up here, I'm not going to lie to you."

Her boss says it is a failure to read the gravest warning signs. "They knew they had problems from day one. They had people hitting the wall and going airborne. If you were already concerned about it and you already raised the wall, why didn't you keep going? And why didn't you protect the [metal] posts at the chance that maybe something could happen?

Vancouver's quick descent from high ground - Olympics, Sport - The Independent

Forum Links
Forum Rules