Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is MobilMe email free now?

Is MobilMe email free now?
AltecXP
Jun 17, 2010, 09:54 AM

I got this in my email today about my Subscription expiring:

"Your MobileMe account is set to expire on June 18, 2010. If you do not update your account in the next 24 hours, you will lose access to all your services except MobileMe Mail. "

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 10:04 AM

Interesting indeed.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 10:21 PM

Sort of interesting, but weird. I mean, most of everyone has a free e-mail that they’ve been using for years, right? So how likely is it that Apple will lure people over to the paid part of MobileMe with “free e-mail” as bait?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Sort of interesting, but weird. I mean, most of everyone has a free e-mail that they’ve been using for years, right? So how likely is it that Apple will lure people over to the paid part of MobileMe with “free e-mail” as bait?
If it's just email, things like Mobile Me Gallery, Calendar and Contact Syncing will not be. Therefore, those that rely on the other stuff will either have to keep paying if they don't want to lose that info or just go elsewhere.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

-Q-
Jun 17, 2010, 11:00 PM

I believe you get extra time to move your mail off the MobileMe servers.

Yep. This the first paragraph of the email I got when I let my MobileMe lapse:

Because your account could not renew, as of today your MobileMe account is restricted. That means you can no longer access your MobileMe information on the web, including your calendar, shared photos, published web pages, and your iDisk. You can access MobileMe Mail and Contacts for 15 more days.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2010, 03:20 AM

The MobileMe home page has changed. It says email is free. And the implementation of the MobileMe apps has changed. I think it's new.

-Q-
Jun 18, 2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
It says email is free.
Where does it say that? It talks about a free 60-day trial, but they've always had that.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Where does it say that?
I must have been very tired when I wrote that. It doesn't say free, it says "new features".

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
If it's just email, things like Mobile Me Gallery, Calendar and Contact Syncing will not be. Therefore, those that rely on the other stuff will either have to keep paying if they don't want to lose that info or just go elsewhere.
I don’t quite get what you’re saying. I wasn’t talking about existing customers at all. I was saying I don’t quite get how making e-mail free is going to help them get any née customers.

In fact, I lost an edit to my post above. I was going to suggest that they should make the push contact/calendar/bookmark syncing free (and maybe Find My iThing). Then they could try and charge for the higher-bandwidth stuff by demonstrating that it’s elegantly and pervasively integrated into both OSes. (I’m not saying that’s always true, but they should try and make it so, then market that.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules