Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" MacBook Pro To Be Discontinued?

17" MacBook Pro To Be Discontinued?
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2012, 02:28 AM

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a record of accurate Apple predictions, says so:
Apple 17-Inch Macbook Pro to Get the Ax: Report - Desktops and Notebooks - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2012, 04:32 PM

it's just another rumor.

Spreading Apple rumors is a web favorite activity...

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 04:54 PM

I hope not. I am looking forward to seeing the retina upgrade in the 17", but just to watch and skip.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 05:33 PM

Mac Pro is next.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Mac Pro is next.
For an upgrade or the chopping block?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2012, 06:37 PM

If it's true that Apple only sells 50K of them a year, then yeah it might be discontinued. That low number really surprises me, though.

It might also be difficult to manufacture retina displays that large, and a 15" MBP with retina might make the 17" pointless in any case.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2012, 07:02 PM

It wouldn't surprise me.
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2012, 07:05 PM

Sandy Bridge with Thunderbolt brought true desktop replacement (DTR) capability to the laptop world for the first time and the 17" Sandy Bridge is the flagship box in the category. It would be inappropriate for Apple to drop the 17" without first seeing where the brand new DTR market goes.

Plus losing the 17" size would piss off a lot of photogs (admittedly not currently a huge segment, but growing) like me who like the large matte display for field use but use the MBP as DTR when not in the field.

Note that although more display pixels are good thing, going to even higher pixel densities does not replace having more physical screen area when one is sharing imagery with clients in the field.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:12 PM. )

chipchen
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Sandy Bridge with Thunderbolt brought true desktop replacement (DTR) capability to the laptop world for the first time and the 17" Sandy Bridge is the flagship box in the category. It would be inappropriate for Apple to drop the 17" without first seeing where the brand new DTR market goes.

Plus losing the 17" size would piss off a lot of photogs (admittedly not currently a huge segment, but growing) like me who like the large matte display for field use but use the MBP as DTR when not in the field.

Note that although more display pixels are good thing, going to even higher pixel densities does not replace having more physical screen area when one is sharing imagery with clients in the field.

-Allen
But it wouldn't be the first time Apple has dropped a product and pissed off a bunch of pros. And it probably wouldn't be the last.

Of recent, would be Final Cut Pro going to FCP X. LOTS of pissed off people. A lot of people who had to go back to AVID.

Of course there's the X Serve. That product elimination REALLY puzzled me. I would have thought that just Apple itself was a big enough client to continue producing them!

Also the 30" Cinema Display. I don't know that there were THAT many people pissed off, but it showed that Apple doesn't mind eliminating a product line that doesn't have a large market.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2012, 02:05 PM

The ways of Apple are mysterious and unfathomable!

And the rumors aren't always true!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2012, 02:08 PM

The 17" MacBook pro already has retina resolution.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The 17" MacBook pro already has retina resolution.
How do you figure?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2012, 04:56 PM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
Of course there's the X Serve. That product elimination REALLY puzzled me. I would have thought that just Apple itself was a big enough client to continue producing them!
I know that once upon a time Apple UK was scrabbling around for all the Xserves they could get their hands on, making use of every last G4 unit they could find (I don't know what for) but I don't know how many they had in total or what they were doing with them. That aside I always got the impression that Apple didn't really use them for their own services like .Mac or iTunes.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
it's just another rumor.

Spreading Apple rumors is a web favorite activity...
Ming-Chi Kuo accurately predicted the iPad 2 specs and configurations, and he predicted in mid-September that the iPhone 5 would be virtually indistinguishable from the 4, have a greatly improved antenna system, an A5 processor, and be called the "4S".

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2012, 05:13 PM

Sorry but the source data is flawed. No way average users have a 26" viewing distance with a MBP. I am over 6' tall with long arms and my maximum viewing distance is 22" eyes-to-display when typing. Typing and arm length place a laptop's viewing distance except when using an external keyboard.

Standalone external displays of course can be adjusted to ideal viewing distances for the display size.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Apr 25, 2012 at 05:29 PM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Ming-Chi Kuo accurately predicted the iPad 2 specs and configurations, and he predicted in mid-September that the iPhone 5 would be virtually indistinguishable from the 4, have a greatly improved antenna system, an A5 processor, and be called the "4S".
Disclaimer: I'm way far from being an expert on who's who in the rumor world...

but here's Redmond Pie's take on the whole thing:

Why Apple Shouldn't Kill Off The 17-Inch MacBook Pro | Redmond Pie

"Nevertheless, this is still a rumor coming from yet another hit-or-miss analyst. But, judging the complete lack of updates when it comes to Apple’s other content-creator oriented line, the Mac Pro, this wouldn’t be all too surprising."

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2012, 01:49 PM

Chinese sources are more reliable than any western analyst for two reasons:
1. More likely to have insider illegal spies in Foxconn, or legal data from procurement public bids.
2. Less likely to have insider illegal pump-and-dump NYSE partners who would distort reality for their nefarious purposes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules