Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 163)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2010, 10:48 AM

That's what I was thinking (On both counts). I think Burnout is the only EA game I own this gen.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 12:30 PM

Welcome to the nickel and dime era of gaming.

Soon they will be selling us game engines upfront, then we'll have to pay to download the characters and environments. Patches will be subscription based and only supported for a year. Online elements of those games will be dropped in 2 years so you have to buy the next game engine... rinse and repeat.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2010, 12:40 PM

I'm going to take a wild guess that EAs sports franchises have been seeing diminishing returns lately, and they think its the used market killing them. And they might be right, in that people are buying their sports games used, but I'm willing to bet its a value proposition rather than just pure cost. Yearly rehashes that add virtually nothing just aren't doing it anymore now that games cost $60. My prediction is this will just reduce used game sales without really doing much to help purchase of new copies of their games.

Of course, this means nothing if project $10 still gets them more money than they were making before.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 03:24 PM

EA wouldn't stop until they see the whites of yours pockets. Brand extensions is next.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 03:40 PM

I will never buy a game that doesn't feature it's core content up front. I've had a bad feeling about modern gaming since the first time I saw alternate jerseys as DLC.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 11, 2010, 03:44 PM

Let's not forget EA is the one who is making their games obsolete by shutting down multiplayer servers, some only after a little more than a year.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 10:59 PM

I had a bad feeling about modern gaming when they introduced the HDD. We went from Plug n Play, to Patch n Pay this generation.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Nintendo CEO: battle with Sony is over, Apple is the 'enemy of the future' -- Engadget

Once again Nintendo sits on their lazy cheap butts while their rabid fans buy multible versions of DS's and Wii's every time a new colour is out.

Here we are in 2010 with no HD in the wii because Nintendo still thinks the other one sells fine so why bother.

Apple, that's why.
You're a developer.
You want to write a game for something like the DS.
You can't. Licensing is too expensive.

Oh, but you can develop for the iPhone for $99.

Multiply that by every goddamn game developer that could never get a game on a console.

Apple > Nintendo

The next person that tells me "Apple is a closed system" is going to get a DS thrown at them.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I had a bad feeling about modern gaming when they introduced the HDD. We went from Plug n Play, to Patch n Pay this generation.
It's a two edged sword.

There's an argument to made that with the size of today's games its impossible to find all the bugs just by testing. On the flip-side this opens the door to developers (like, oh let's say - EPIC) to ship a game on a specific date they know is unpolished with the intent of patching the issues rather than doing the right thing and pushing back launch.

On the plus side, we now get DLC (Free and paid) which extends the life of the games we own.
Also, Installs bring us shorter loading times.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 12, 2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
The next person that tells me "Apple is a closed system" is going to get a DS thrown at them.
Ha, try being a developer for the PSP/Go.

You write a "mini" game. No clue on the fortune that must cost.

The minimum price you can sell it for is $10. Same game on iPhone is $5.

Sony "mini" games are not allowed to play online or have software/feature updates as a software cripple so you still buy "normal" games.

All that aside here is typical Nintendo. Wii sales down over 25% YOY so they just ship black plastic
(even though it was supposed to ship in many colours from day 1) and throw in that extra Nintendo crap by making your games not transfer:
Nintendo’s No-Transfer Policy Could Burn Wii’s Biggest Fans | GameLife | Wired.com

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 12, 2010, 03:47 PM

Best of both worlds: play all your nintendo ROMs on your iPad / iPhone

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
You're a developer.
You want to write a game for something like the DS.
You can't. Licensing is too expensive.

Oh, but you can develop for the iPhone for $99.

Multiply that by every goddamn game developer that could never get a game on a console.

Apple > Nintendo

Agreed. The conditions required to get a Nintendo SDK are ridiculous, one would assume that would lead to higher quality software, but unfortunately it doesnt.

Everyone knows that if you had to pick a single device to take with you, the iPhone would win.

I think Nintendo got drunk with success in 2008 and just squandered the lead they had by just releasing incrementally "better" systems.

It's strange how, the oldest gaming(hardware/platform) company operating today is still incapable of a decent online infrastructure. And Apple which is a newcomer, has introduced Gamecenter.

Apple is just over a year behind(IMHO) in sales over the NDS. Given Apple's spread of the iPhoneOS over 3 different hardware platforms (iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad), i see them catching up rather quickly if something better is not announced by Nintendo soon. And the upcoming 3DS will not change that trend.

The demographics using the two platforms are interesting to consider as well. The DS' primary audience has been kids and seniors. The iPhone/iPod/ipad however seems to have a much more even spread over every age group and demographic IMHO.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 13, 2010 at 09:46 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 13, 2010, 12:05 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 14, 2010, 10:24 AM

Friday News: NPD Edition

April NPD: Sam Fisher's grim month -- Joystiq
-DS: 441K260K (-37%)
-Wii: 277K 281K (-50%)
-360: 185K 153K (-45%)
-PS3: 181K 133K (-42%)
-PSP: 66K 54K (-44%)
-PS2 sales are no longer being tracked by NPD -- goodbye, old friend.

Its that time of year.

Sales figures for the games ranked six through 10 were withheld by NPD for unstated reasons.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - 360 - Ubisoft - 486K
Pokemon SoulSilver version - DS - Nintendo - 243K
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wii - Nintendo - 200K
Pokemon HeartGold version - DS - Nintendo - 193K
God of War III - PS3 - Sony - 180K
Wii Sports Resort w/ Wii Motion Plus - Wii - Nintendo
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 360 - EA
Wii Fit Plus - Wii - Nintendo
Just Dance - Wii - Ubisoft
Super Street Fighter IV - PS3 - Capcom

Not much to note here. Pretty low sales all around. PS3 players show they are more dedicated to fighters than the 360ers, still. First month BC:2 made the top 10?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 18, 2010, 11:55 AM

Why Are People Buying PS3's? - PS3 - Kotaku

"Games" is third tied with "upgrading from PS2" which I read as a brand loyalty move.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2010, 04:16 PM

Picked up my copy of Red Dead Redemption about two hours ago. I can't remember being this excited about a game since Halo 2.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 18, 2010, 04:31 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2010, 11:07 PM

Yep...definitely missed it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 21, 2010, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I think Nintendo got drunk with success in 2008 and just squandered the lead they had by just releasing incrementally "better" systems.
How is this different from any other NIntendo System they have ever released?

Once again, they are lazy and cheap.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
EA introduces one-time-use 'Online Pass' for sports games -- Joystiq

Talk about the cure being worse than the disease. Guess with all the Infinity Ward turmoil EA saw they needed to step up their game to make sure the Worst Company in Gaming competition wasn't a blow-out.

Seems like THQ beat EA to the punch with online pay-to-play passes with UFC Undisputed 2 2010

They figured they have a better chance by making gamers pay $5 rather than the $10 EA will be charging. Get the F--- out of here! Anyone who charges separately to play online can eat a bowl of $#IT! I sure hope M$ puts a stop to this, but that's wishful thinking.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 09:15 AM

I hope it kills used sales like they want... without increasing new game sales.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 10:20 AM

Friday News: No, Really! Edition

Originally Posted by Gabe Newell
We would love to see the PS3 be more open like a Mac than more closed like a GameCube
Valve: PS3 Is Like A GameCube
've seen the PlayStation 3 compared to a lot of things in my lifetime, from a grill to a brick and everything in between. But a GameCube? That's new.

In an interview with 5BY5, Valve boss Gabe Newell has spoken of his company's decision to release online gaming platform Steam for the Mac, and why that makes sense, but releasing games for the PS3 does not.

Rockstar Patches Red Dead Redemption Invisibility Glitch
I can't pretend to know which would be harder, but it seems to fixing invisibility would more difficult than a few weapons where silencers don't work. *glare at IW*

Free Portal downloaded 1.5 million times -- Joystiq

Turning Executive Mistakes Into Art

My favorite of the bunch.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 01:07 PM

1UP - 10
GamesRadar -10
Joystiq - 10
EDGE - 10
IGN - 10
Digital Chumps -10
Examiner - 10
Gonintendo - 9,9
GameTrailers - 9,7

Guess the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 01:10 PM

Mario Galaxy 2

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 01:11 PM

Gears of War 3.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2010, 01:29 PM

Mario Galaxy 2

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2010, 12:33 AM

Just picked up Mario Galaxy 2. Loved this first one. Excited to see what this one brings. Plus it gives me a reason to wipe the dust off my Wii. [insert joke]

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2010, 11:46 PM

Same here. Just watched IGN's(first Wii game to get a perfect score) and GameTrailers video review, and this game looks extremely tasty. Will definitely be picking it up.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 25, 2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Guess the game.
So, what do I win?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 25, 2010, 10:10 AM

Tuesday News: I have a lot to post Edition

Rumor: Sony to reveal 'PSN+' subscription service at E3 2010 -- Joystiq
Many of the features included in the premium service mimic those featured in a supposed survey released late last year. Sources tell us that subscribers will have access to a rotating list of PSP Minis and PSone Classics, exclusive in-game DLC, discounts to the PlayStation Store and "first hour" demo access to full retail titles. Following the first hour of gameplay, players will have the ability to purchase the full title; however, demo access will only be available once the entire title has been downloaded.
Scared yet, PSfans? Also, I wonder what the exclusive DLC will be. Horse armor?

Sony: If It Didn't Work On Wii, Don't Try It On Move
"Those are the types of things that we're trying to at least steer people away so they don't spend millions of dollars, come back to me and go, 'Eh... It didn't sell.' 'Well, okay. You never should have made it. It was never going to work anyway. It didn't work on the Wii for a reason. That category didn't. Why did you think it was going to work on this one as well?'"
Loving Sony's attitude on this so far.

PlayStation Move Behind Gran Turismo 5 Delay?
Having let slip themselves that the game will support the PlayStation Move peripheral, it seems Sony's decision to implement motion controls into Gran Turismo 5 is the reason for the game's lengthy delay.
Here's to hoping they come up with another reason to delay release.

The Fall of The PSP In America Due To Piracy, Says Sony
Sony's Rob Dyer tells Gamasutra that rampant piracy of PlayStation Portable games is the system's "biggest problem, no question about it." Dyer says that the PSP maker has a plan to combat that, that it "will be able to, not stop, but slow down the piracy in the first 30 to 60 days from a tech perspective."
I have no insight into the matter, but what few friends I had with one were using it for old emulation and such rather than piracy.

Rumor: J Allard leaving Microsoft due to Courier cancellation -- Joystiq
t J Allard, Chief Experience Officer of Microsoft and overseer of the development and launch of the Xbox 360, is "on sabbatical and is unlikely to return to Microsoft." According to the tipster, Allard was upset by the sudden, surreptitious cancellation of the Microsoft Courier, which Allard has frequently talked up since it was first revealed last September.
Not good for 360ers.

Microsoft "Shaking Up" Its Gaming Division
What this actually means beyond the term "major organizational changes" is not disclosed, but it must be serious, because those are serious words, the driving force apparently Microsoft's inability to fend off advances from competing companies like Apple and Google in the mobile space.

The rumoured departure of J Allard, the "father" of the Xbox brand, is just the start of this, with the "shake up" expected to have far wider ramifications for the division than simply filling Allard's sizeable shoes.
*cringing*

http://kotaku.com/5546069/why-is-thi...ean-for-madden
American Needle had argued that the league's 10-year deal with Reebok amounted to collusion among 32 businesses. The Supreme Court itself did not make such a finding, nor invalidate the league's Reebok deal, but it did hold that the NFL is not a single entity but 32 separate teams when it comes to such marketing. So a lower court ruling was overturned and the case was sent back to be retried.

As of now, it's hardly a direct threat to EA Sports' existing exclusive position. It may have some ramifications for how such a deal might be negotiated after 2012. But Michael Pachter, the well known games sector analyst for Wedbush, and himself a lawyer, believes that video games ultimately won't be involved.
Jesus, I didn't realize the contract was until 2012.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 25, 2010, 10:40 AM

Tuesday News: I have a lot to post Edition

Rumor: Sony to reveal 'PSN+' subscription service at E3 2010 -- Joystiq

Scared yet, PSfans? Also, I wonder what the exclusive DLC will be. Horse armor?
I don't care about them setting up a premium service, but IMO cross-game voice chat should be a basic feature.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2010, 12:46 AM

Jesus, that is big news! I'm now worried.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2010, 12:52 AM

In other big news...

EA and Insomniac Games enter publishing agreement

Insomniac games will be going multiplatform now that EA will publish their games. I'd love to see Resistance, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank games on the 360!

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 26, 2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
In other big news...

Insomniac games will be going multiplatform now that EA will publish their games. I'd love to see Resistance, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank games on the 360!
I read on another site (maybe ars.gaming?) that they were bringing NEW titles to other platforms, but that the PS3 still maintains their exclusives.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 26, 2010, 04:50 PM

Report: Project Natal To Cost Too Much Money
Would you pay $149 USD for Project Natal? According to a report from Edge, that's what current Xbox 360 owners should expect to pay when the much-hyped motion sensing camera from Microsoft launches later this year.

Edge, citing a "trusted source," the same individual who fed the outlet details on Gears of War 3's coming out party, also claims the Project Natal accessory will be available as a bundle. The Xbox 360 Arcade version of the console, plus Natal, will reportedly arrive at $299 USD. Xbox 360 Arcade units are currently going for $199 USD, with a pair of games included.
Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So, if you're new to the market, you can buy a Wii for $100 less, and if you already have a 360, you can pay $50 for a Wii with an established library of games.

Or, if you have a PS3, you can shell out less than $100 for the Move.

MS better be bringing the games, because that feels like their one slim hope at the moment.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2010, 07:37 AM

I friggon hope this comes through.....

Team Ico Collection Coming In 2011? - G4tv.com

Brien
Professional Poster
May 27, 2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by is not View Post
Mario Galaxy 2
Loving it!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 29, 2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
In other big news...

Frickin sweet!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 2, 2010, 09:56 AM

Madden 11 Scouts Your Online Games — and Sells Others the Report
Madden NFL 11 will log every play you call online, building a book on your tendencies that will available, in-game, to any multiplayer opponent. While the reports can be earned or unlocked, they can also be bought for cash.
Mind = Blown

Hulu Coming To Xbox 360?
According to "a very reliable source", gadget site Gear Live is reporting that Microsoft is set to unveil a nice little surprise during its E3 press conference: the addition of TV streaming service Hulu to Xbox Live.

Requiring a separate subscription fee - just like Netflix - Hulu would let Xbox 360 users watch (most of) their favourite TV shows whenever they wanted. Only, instead of watching it on a monitor, they could kick back and watch it on their actual TV sets.
If there's no free option for 360 users (unlike online) they can go to hell.

Otherwise, I might actually watch SNL again.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 9, 2010, 10:27 AM

Wednesday News

Sony: PSP Go 'experiment' revealed consumers' love of physical media -- Joystiq
Speaking to MCV, SCEE CEO Andrew House categorized the digital-only PSP Go as an experiment of sorts. "One of the reasons we launched PSP Go was to understand where that consumer behavior was going," House said. "We were getting signals from consumers that this was the kind of device that they wanted. But we need to recognize that consumers like their packaged media library."
Reasons not recognized: The product was overpriced compared to its predecessor; Its cons outweighed its pros

Red Dead Redemption surpasses 5 million units shipped -- Joystiq
Just five months ago Red Dead Redemption appeared doomed. At that time, an anonymous Rockstar source told us, "It will take 4 million sales at full price to recoup the development costs of Red Dead. The good news is they are not expecting to make money with Red Dead Redemption." The accuracy of that estimate notwithstanding, today's shipment announcement suggests that Take-Two and Rockstar now expect to enjoy strong, continued sales of Red Dead.
Not bad for a basically unheralded game. Most successful ultra-delayed game ever? (At least til GT5 comes out)

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2010, 11:34 PM

That thing better not cost more than $99 but since MS charges that much for the Wifi adapter alone I wouldn't be surprised. What the hell is driving the cost up? It is just a camera!

I'd pay $150 for the PS3 Move though if it came with the camera, 2 sticks and a nunchuck.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2010, 11:16 AM

I'm not even slightly excited about Natal or the Move. I really hope E3 shows off more than 3D gaming, motion gaming, and paid Hulu functionality.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2010, 11:21 AM

Good luck with that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2010, 11:37 AM

It has to make me wonder if I'm even going to care about gaming in 5 more years.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2010, 11:41 AM

There's going to be inevitable lulls. Look at this way - this generation is lasting longer than any gen in 20 years. The cost is there might be a few years where what they're pushing isn't grand, but hey, they're still releasing games worth playing, right?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 12:16 PM

There's going to be inevitable lulls. Look at this way - this generation is lasting longer than any gen in 20 years. The cost is there might be a few years where what they're pushing isn't grand, but hey, they're still releasing games worth playing, right?
My guess is the used market might be the reason for the longevity of this generation.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2010, 12:24 PM

Nah, it was claimed from the outset. I don't think Sony and MS were enjoying the R&D rat race.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2010, 12:46 PM

I can see that as well. Rushing to market bit both of them in the ass. Getting it right next generation might be a priority for both, hopefully.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2010, 12:50 PM

I'm not sure it bit MS in the ass. Even if you cite the RRoD (you may have a point) I'm cynical enough to think these assholes wouldn't have gotten it right regardless of how much time they had.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2010, 12:51 PM

Now the R&D rat race seems to be all focused around motion controls.

There definitely have been quite a few worthwhile games this generation, so I guess I'm just letting my current disappointment with what will likely happen at E3 cloud my reasoning. All they have to do for me to be pleased is show off Last Guardian and inFamous 2. Team ICO's first two games were absolutely incredible, and inFamous has been my favorite PS3 game so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules