Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > limited government, separation of powers, and powers reserved for the people

limited government, separation of powers, and powers reserved for the people
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 10:09 AM

Inspired by this post in the Republican war hawks thread I have created this thread to list all of the actions committed by our government that contravene the ideals of "limited government, separation of powers, and powers reserved for the people".

Please add your additions to this thread we can compile a nice long list of those actions taken by our government that contravene the ideals of "limited government, separation of powers, and powers reserved for the people" set forth in the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 10:10 AM

Government spying on its own citizens outside the confines of the legal structure put in place to allow for such activities.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 10:13 AM

Executive branch leaders performing major public policy discussions in private instead of in public.

Legislative branch leaders performing major public policy discussions in private instead of in public.

(Personally, I would be in favor of making it mandatory that ALL legislative discussions be broadcast live on television.)

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 10:17 AM

Federal government leaders trying to dictate what two consenting adults can or cannot do in the privacy of their own home.

Federal government leaders trying to dictate what constitutes a marriage. Or the mere fact that government leaders want to be involved in a religious institution such as marriage.

(I am in favor of the government granting a certificate of civil union to all adult couples wishing to receive one and then allowing religious organizations to decide to grant marriages to those couples that comport to the religion's ideas of what constitutes a marriageable couple. And under NO circumstances could the government dictate to religious organizations who could and could not be offered marriages.)

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2010, 10:19 AM

Czars appointed by the President.
Agencies, such as the EPA, which by fiat make law
The Federal Reserve
Gun Control
Taxes

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
Czars appointed by the President.
Agencies, such as the EPA, which by fiat make law
The Federal Reserve
Gun Control
Taxes
These are pretty broad categories. What parts of these categories topics do you think the government has contravened the principles of "limited government, separation of powers, and powers reserved for the people"?
(I am not disagreeing with you but rather asking for some more specificity with your concerns. For example, the Supreme Court has said that some restrictions on gun possession are constitutional. And the Constitution itself says the federal government has the ability to "lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises". So what area of gun control or taxes do you think the government has overstepped its bounds?)

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
And the Constitution itself says the federal government has the ability to "lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises". So what area of gun control or taxes do you think the government has overstepped its bounds?)
Safe school zones are what come immediately to mind.

IIUC, Congress somehow makes this fly by invoking the commerce clause, i.e., safe school zones exist because it is assumed any individual gun has crossed state lines at some point, and can therefore be regulated.

Just to be clear, I don't take issue with the idea of safe school zones in and of themselves, I just think they should be created by the states.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 01:48 PM

The federal government imposing mandates on the states like

requiring states to raise their minimum drinking age to 21 in order to receive federal highway funds.

forcing states to adhere to the requirements of the No Child Left Behind program while not providing necessary extra funding to facilitate compliance.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 01:55 PM

requiring states to raise their minimum drinking age to 21 in order to receive federal highway funds.
I assumed this approach was acceptable since it's not forcing it. What power is being abused here?

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I assumed this approach was acceptable since it's not forcing it. What power is being abused here?
Umm, the power of the purse. Isn't that obvious?

Granted, states could have refused to accept any federal highway funds in order to keep their drinking age at whatever level they desired but making such a choice would be more detrimental to the needs of their citizens than raising the drinking age to 21. So, they were given a decision to make with only one practical choice as an answer. So, it's not really a choice at all.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:15 PM

Umm, the power of the purse. Isn't that obvious?

Granted, states could have refused to accept any federal highway funds in order to keep their drinking age at whatever level they desired but making such a choice would be more detrimental to the needs of their citizens than raising the drinking age to 21. So, they were given a decision to make with only one practical choice as an answer. So, it's not really a choice at all.
I'm seriously asking this: so what? That's not the Federal government's problem. Should all funds dispensed to the states by the Federal government be with no strings attached?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:19 PM

I'm seriously asking this: so what? That's not the Federal government's problem. Should all funds dispensed to the states by the Federal government be with no strings attached?
If you were doing it all properly, what federal funds would those be? You'd be paying enough tax to cover the salaries of the peeps in federal government, but nothing more. The individual states wouldn't need funding by the fed, because they'd already have the money going to them direct from the taxpayer.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 02:21 PM

This is why the States should have more power over their citizens than the fedGov. Welfare and education should only happen at a state level. The states should be able to optimize the education of their citizens to generate the most income for them, and take advantage of the attributes each state has.

The federal government should be there for the defense and general safety and well being. NASA and the armed services should be under federal control, and FEMA as well. If a state, through inept policies become bankrupt, the feds step in and run things for 3 years and appoint leaders for that state. This means the state level politicians can't spend and give away the farm for political reasons without being removed from their posts. it would mean financial responsibilities and a focus on the folks in the states.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:23 PM

For example, the Supreme Court has said that some restrictions on gun possession are constitutional.
The supreme court are wrong.
"Shall not be infringed".
That's no infringement, no control.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
If you were doing it all properly, what federal funds would those be? You'd be paying enough tax to cover the salaries of the peeps in federal government, but nothing more. The individual states wouldn't need funding by the fed, because they'd already have the money going to them direct from the taxpayer.
The Post Office complicates things.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
If a state, through inept policies become bankrupt, the feds step in and run things for 3 years and appoint leaders for that state.
Isn't that exactly like a bank bailout in principle? Surely if a state goes bankrupt it's the problem of that state alone - why should an Ohio taxpayer's money be used to pay the wages of a federal team governing California as a result of the Californian electorate being a bunch of morons and voting for the wrong guy?

This means the state level politicians can't spend and give away the farm for political reasons without being removed from their posts.
Can't the people who vote in that state get rid of them? Like they did to the previous guy when they elected the Governator?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:32 PM

The Post Office complicates things.
It does? Here in the EU, the UK post office manages to hand items for delivery to the French, German, Spanish and Italian post offices on a daily basis.

Wait. Is the EU currently running the state/federal balance that the US was supposed to have?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:39 PM

It does? Here in the EU, the UK post office manages to hand items for delivery to the French, German, Spanish and Italian post offices on a daily basis.

Wait. Is the EU currently running the state/federal balance that the US was supposed to have?
So, the EU and its member countries manages this by "doing it right" and only taxing you enough to pay your government peeps?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:46 PM

So, the EU and its member countries manages this by "doing it right" and only taxing you enough to pay your government peeps?
If it wasn't for all the wealth redistribution then yes - the EU itself doesn't actually have any financial requirements outside of keeping its government buildings and peeps running. The EU doesn't have an army, since its army is made of individual member states' armies. It doesn't have a federally-funded road system. It doesn't have a federally funded health care system.

For the purposes of this comparison:
US state = EU country.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 02:48 PM

We tried that once. It didn't work out.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:57 PM

If it wasn't for all the wealth redistribution then yes - the EU itself doesn't actually have any financial requirements outside of keeping its government buildings and peeps running. The EU doesn't have an army, since its army is made of individual member states' armies. It doesn't have a federally-funded road system. It doesn't have a federally funded health care system.

For the purposes of this comparison:
US state = EU country.
You might want to take another look at the apple = orange step.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 02:59 PM

You might want to take another look at the apple = orange step.
No.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2010, 05:28 PM

Isn't that exactly like a bank bailout in principle? Surely if a state goes bankrupt it's the problem of that state alone - why should an Ohio taxpayer's money be used to pay the wages of a federal team governing California as a result of the Californian electorate being a bunch of morons and voting for the wrong guy?
Yes but removing all the 'responsible' political types and their appointees that caused the problems in the first place and replacing them means the local attitudes that got them into the mess and the probable corruption would be reduced.

Can't the people who vote in that state get rid of them? Like they did to the previous guy when they elected the Governator?
But if, like California, the voters are ruining their state with the liberal agendas and the associated hair-brained ideas and social engineering. Removing them would reduce the wasteful governmental BS they are famous for. The environmental wackos have put such restrictions in place that they actually prevent people from having fire blocks and flood/avalanche deterrents in place.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 07:27 PM

City votes to not have taxes raised.

The city basically shuts down.

Facing Budget Gap, Colorado City Shuts Off Lights : NPR
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2010, 07:28 PM

But if, like California, the voters are ruining their state with the liberal agendas and the associated hair-brained ideas and social engineering. Removing them would reduce the wasteful governmental BS they are famous for. The environmental wackos have put such restrictions in place that they actually prevent people from having fire blocks and flood/avalanche deterrents in place.
But if Californians* like wasteful government BS and environmental whackos, what's it got to do with anyone else? Let them stew in their own misery until they vote a proper government into power.
Why the need to police them? Isn't that the same principle as the need to police the world? Let democracy sort it out... ...people vote for crap, they'll get crap, and it's their own stupid fault.

Shouldn't you let California* fail as an example and warning to voters in other states not to vote for liberal whackos?

(*California used only as an example. Substitute any other state for same effect.)

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2010, 11:58 AM

Shouldn't you let California* fail as an example and warning to voters in other states not to vote for liberal whackos?

(*California used only as an example. Substitute any other state for same effect.)
I don't think the 'average voter' would get it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 12:21 PM

I don't think the 'average voter' would get it.
That's democracy for ya.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 06:11 PM

The environmental wackos have put such restrictions in place that they actually prevent people from having fire blocks and flood/avalanche deterrents in place.
There are building codes for fire blocks, if that's what you're referring to. It's to make sure that when the fire blocks catch fire, they're not creating more of a risk to the health and safety of the firefighters.

I'm unaware of any restrictions preventing people from installing flood or avalanche deterrents, unless those restrictions coincide with natural, seasonal changes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 06:16 PM

I think we should tax churches that engage in commercial ventures; leasing office spaces, book stores, coffee shops, etc. They shouldn't be able to participate in the free market and be tax exempt. Income that exceeds their operational requirement should also be taxed.

This would have zero to little effect on small, independent churches, or even larger churches operating within their means. However, the mega churches that rake in tens of billions of dollars every year would be required to pay their fair share of taxes.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I think we should tax churches that engage in commercial ventures; leasing office spaces, book stores, coffee shops, etc. They shouldn't be able to participate in the free market and be tax exempt. Income that exceeds their operational requirement should also be taxed.

This would have zero to little effect on small, independent churches, or even larger churches operating within their means. However, the mega churches that rake in tens of billions of dollars every year would be required to pay their fair share of taxes.
I think you need to go read your own constitution. "Congress shall make no law respecting...".

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2010, 10:29 PM

I think you need to go read your own constitution. "Congress shall make no law respecting...".
How in any way would this law establish a religion? How would taxing revenue garnered from a free market affect their first amendment rights?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
How in any way would this law establish a religion? How would taxing revenue garnered from a free market affect their first amendment rights?
Respecting = pertaining to.
Establishment = organisation.

It doesn't say anything about congress "establishing" a religion.

Plus, you need to go figure out the difference between revenue and profit. No business gets taxed on revenue - only profit. If the revenue is invested in expanding the organisation, then there's nothing to tax.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 10:38 AM

This argument that olePigeon's idea would violate the 1st Amendment misses the point. It would not single out religious organizations -- quite the opposite, it would treat them as any other private corporation. Whatever tax exemptions a religions organization currently qualifies for are based on the perceived public services it provides (related to that, the charitable nature of contributions to the organization), or the fact that most of these organizations have no net income, not anything endemic to their religious nature.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Feb 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 10:47 AM

Respecting = pertaining to.
Establishment = organisation.
In that case the law which grants a tax exemption with respect to churches in the first place is unconstitutional.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
In that case the law which grants a tax exemption with respect to churches in the first place is unconstitutional.
I don't see it like that. When tax was introduced, churches were left out (rather than exempted) because the first amendment, when read correctly, essentially doesn't allow congress to recognise the existence of those churches. If you can't legally recognise the existence of something, you can't tax it.

It's all moot, of course, since churches don't make profit and only profit is taxed.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 11:14 AM

I don't see it like that. When tax was introduced, churches were left out (rather than exempted) because the first amendment, when read correctly, essentially doesn't allow congress to recognise the existence of those churches. If you can't legally recognise the existence of something, you can't tax it.
Simply not true. With respect to some of the tax breaks associated with religious organizations, it's an affirmative action based on the organization's qualification within a section of the IRS tax code, based on the idea that the organization provides a public benefit that would not be fulfilled through a corporation's profit motive, and so they deserve a tax break.

It's all moot, of course, since churches don't make profit and only profit is taxed.
Some do. Where olePigeon point is moot, I think, is that religious organizations are already taxed on unrelated business income.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Feb 17, 2010 at 11:20 AM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2010, 11:55 AM

That's democracy for ya.
I'm thinking the MSM would spin anything they could. Their propaganda and downright lies have got us into this in the first place. When is the last time any in the MSM have looked out for the regular guy? Spewing nonsense like Maddow, Matthews, and the rest with their mis-characterizations, and opinions stated as facts and looking back on how they were bought and paid for by the 0bama campaign, do you wonder why viewers are leaving in droves. Perhaps some are waking up to the fact that the press/media isn't to be trusted.

I don't think the public could make a correct decision because what they have been told is wrong. Garbage in Garbage out.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 05:40 PM

The government shouldn't recognize churches or religious organizations, and treat them special.

Religious organizations should be treated like any organizations. Their property and profits should be taxed.

Religious organizations should be treated as a non-profit organization.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 06:15 PM

I don't think the public could make a correct decision because the majority of them never think for themselves and believe what they are told without question.
Fixed.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 07:19 PM

Another addition to the list of things the government shouldn't be doing.

Subsidizing student loans via the banking industry.
(The US government guarantees federal student loans with private banks and ensures the banks get a certain percentage of profit on any money they get from the federal government. So, our taxes our going to subsidize loans and guarantee banks make a profit on the student loans they issue. If the federal government wants to be in the student loan business it should do so directly by providing loans to students directly and completely bypassing the banking industry. Or, it should get out of the student loan business altogether.)

Subsidizing broadband internet deployment via the telecoms industry.
(Again, the Us government subsidizes the deployment of broadband internet access to rural areas with the telcos getting a guaranteed profit in the subsidy. So, it's not just the government guaranteeing to pay the costs of the deployment but guaranteeing to pay the costs of the deployment and guarantee the telcos a profit on top of it. Why should our tax dollars go to a private business to guarantee the business a profit? Why not just have the government directly do the work of deploying the technology? or just not have the work done and leave folks in the rural parts of the country at a disadvantage when it comes to broadband internet access.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules