Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 27)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2011, 10:57 AM

I don't get home till sat. Conference doesn't get out soon enough to get an afternoon flight and all the evening flights are booked up.

I'd apologize for the delay but since it's been a ghost town for the last 2 months there are obviously other things for you guys to do.

I can't think why the flash drive would be an issue, the games runs everything in memory, it's got to be a chunk update latency issue. There's a newish tuning parameter for me to try.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
I'd apologize for the delay but since it's been a ghost town for the last 2 months there are obviously other things for you guys to do.
Easy there, killer. No one blames you here. God knows Notch will likely issue three patches before you get home, anyway.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Server or comp?

I've been reading that 1.8 is giving everyone worse performance than before (FPS-wise).
Comp. It's terrible.

I don't get home till sat. Conference doesn't get out soon enough to get an afternoon flight and all the evening flights are booked up.

I can't think why the flash drive would be an issue, the games runs everything in memory, it's got to be a chunk update latency issue. There's a newish tuning parameter for me to try.
Dude, don't ever apologize for anything. We're just grateful that you've taken the time to set up the server and let us use it for our personal playground for months.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Comp. It's terrible.
On 1.8?

Dude, don't ever apologize for anything. We're just grateful that you've taken the time to set up the server and let us use it for our personal playground for months.
Indeed.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 11:56 AM

On 1.8?
Yep.

Side note: the dramatic performance change after my Lion upgrade is the only thing that kept me from coming back to the SMP game. I still had tons of plans.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 12:00 PM

Side note: the dramatic performance change after my Lion upgrade is the only thing that kept me from coming back to the SMP game.
Hmm?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 12:06 PM

This.

There is still a huge lag on my MBP. When I jump and right click on the top of a block, it's too slow to catch up and place it.

In other words, if I try to make the single-block stacked tower...no-go.
I've Googled the smithereens out of it. I can't figure out why it changed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 12:08 PM

I thought 1.8 did that. You mean upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7 did it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 12:18 PM

Is there any way to roll back to a previous version?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 12:22 PM

I'll echo this statement, I haven't set foot in the server for months and this "problem" is little more than bad timing and my own goof on updating to quickly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 12:23 PM

I swear I posted a program a few pages ago, but I have no idea if it was updated to for the latest iteration.

As for me, I backed up my MacBook right before upgrading last night, though it doesn't mater too much as I do most of my server play on my iMac.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 12:34 PM

No, no...OSX Lion did it to me.

Believe it or not, some random kid on YouTube might have helped me fix it: Fix Minecraft Lag! - YouTube

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 12:36 PM

So, does java finally run in 64-bit mode in 10.7?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 03:49 PM

Apparently so. I'm not techie enough to give a definitive answer.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 03:55 PM

Apparently so. I'm not techie enough to give a definitive answer.
Open Minecraft. Then Activity Monitor. Find Java. See what mode its in.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 04:09 PM

So I followed some instructions, downloaded the latest 1.7 jar file and replaced the 1.8 on in my minecraft library folder.

It starts, logs me in, and then gets stuck at a black screen before the Mojang logo.....god dammit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 04:20 PM

I wonder if you're not better off with me ichatting you my minecraft app and App Support folder (sans saves and stats)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 04:25 PM

That might be the only solution at this point, christ, next time I should think first.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 05:28 PM

Nevermind, I booted into Windows where I had a 1.6.6 version, rolled it forward with the same file I mentioned previously and it worked.

What a boondoggle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 05:31 PM

Just read something interesting. Good luck keeping mob grinders functioning properly with the existence of endermen. If that was Notch's goal with their introduction, I applaud him.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 05:37 PM

Another thing about grinders that came to me is with a hunger meter going afk will be a tricky endeavor.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 05:40 PM

Crap, I go afk non-grinding all the time. Jesus, Notch.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 05:43 PM

Did I mention endermen can move bedrock? which is awesome, as they can open a hole in the bottom of the world.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 05:48 PM

I assume they can move Obsidian too? My first thought for our refresh was living underground for a while and then making my safehouse out of Obsidian.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 05:49 PM

If they can move bedrock, you bet your ass they can move obsidian.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 05:57 PM

Oh, I've decided with the new world I'm going to go with a new skin. Why the hell not.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 06:17 PM

Last enderman-based question.

Will light keep them at bay?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 15, 2011, 06:35 PM

I know they won't spawn in light, but I'm at a loss if they're repelled by it. Given that other mobs aren't I'd think no.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2011, 06:58 PM

But having a well-lit area surrounding, say, your house will hopefully keep them from doing their own renovations?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2011, 11:31 PM

I hear it's water that they can't deal with.

The pressure pad, piston grinder will do for endermen just fine. Of course that means I'd have to build a new one, but if we go to a new world I'd have to do that anyway.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2011, 09:26 AM

I have heard they can't pick-up blocks with items on them (i.e. torches, signs), but then again I swear I've heard mixed reports regarding track and redstone, and have no idea what they do with slabs.

Edit: sek and I had a good run last night. 9 gold, 9 diamonds, almost a full stack of lapiz, in what I imagine was 45 min.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2011, 09:44 AM

Man I can't wait to use rivers and ravines as territorial markers for kingdoms.

On the flip side, it looks like my final server project will be visually wiped away in 1.8. Ex:

Before & After

[IMG]http://orgin.biz/~orgin/minecraft/****1.8.png[/IMG]

Edit: Mushroom Cow

Edit 2: Check out the grass. It's one of the new biomes, a Mushroom biome.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Sep 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2011, 05:32 PM

Picture dump incoming.

Well I hit the blocks hard the last couple of days, despite pretty nauseating lag and chunk errors simply everywhere. There is something very gratifying about burning through precious resources with reckless abandon.

My new project consists of small outposts linked underground via a rail system. I built a new switching station between the palace switching station (station 2) and MacNN Bay. That station brings you to Mining Outpost #1, which is a small above ground fortress with the rail stop in the first basement. From this stop you can then choose to be shuttled off to Mining Outpost #2, which is actually a long lost abandoned sandstone project from before the time of the Lodge. The main structure is perched atop a large mountain and has a commanding view of the area. This, too, is nearing completion. At which point I will locate what will become Outpost #3 and continue marching around leaving my mark.

Now, without leaving the comfort of a railcar, you can be shuttled to 5 separate locations all thanks to my growing mastery of the T inetersection.

First off I give a thumbs up to whoever changed this sign, sometimes it's the little things that make me smile.

Secondly, right behind Outpost #2 was this little entrance to an explored cave system, no idea who claimed it.

Outpost #1 in the foreground, with Outpost #2 visible on the mountain.

The view down when I was building Outpost #2s balcony.

View of the bay from #2s balcony.

View of the area behind #2, lots of high peaks here.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2011, 10:31 PM

Apparently your outpost number 2 is across the bay in front of my castle. I had to light up all those caves so the grinder would work. There's a spawner down there too but I don't remember what kind. So your the one who put up the partially constructed building in the mountain. I posted a labeled version of my map of the area and had it marked. Well I need to get up at 3am for the flight

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2011, 01:45 PM

My turn for an image dump.

While I am working on completing one last project (that would be better served using MCEdit, probably), there was one other one that never materialized that i can kind of show you.

I see what you're planning.

No, he didn't. While I had a rough sketch for what I was going to create in this area, I had neither the plan or concept of how to connect it all. The project? The Hanging Gardens of babylon.

This was my first mock-up, if you can call it that. Different bases as I experimented with how it meshed. There was also an idea for some through-fares for boats.

It ook even more sandstone than I had ever imagined. I can't say how much, as I inventory hacked to make the proto-type.
Now, with a new world coming perhaps I'll revisit the idea in the future, but given the amount of time it took with limi-less resources I'm not sure I'll try.

---

The server and my connection combine their Wondertwin powers to create this:

It's not even a chunk error. I can't see any land. Except...

Sek suddenly pops up out of the blue (hey, that's literal in this case). It's worth noting he's several blocks underground when I spy him.

Slime convention.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2011, 01:53 PM

Hmmm… can't even join the server now (though I snuck in for a minute where I almost died thanks to the lag). Blaze you fiddling around with it?

andi*pandi
Sep 18, 2011, 10:20 PM

Wow, lots of coolness. Love the hanging gardens and the lighthouse outpost.

Til everything's back online I'm playing around with my single player world's ramshackle cliff dwelling. The endermen are moving the grass about quite a bit.

In a not cool development, dungeons will be harder to find:
After Beta 1.8 Pre-release 2, the debug screen no longer shows the numbers above mobs.
am going to start a fresh world and see if it generates anything new. <edit> yes, lots more cliffs and such.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Sep 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2011, 03:55 PM

So, let's talk 1.8. I think most of us are excited and want to start ASAP, which leaves us with two problems.

1. Scheduling the maiden voyage
2. Having the server in a condition where it can deal with a heavy load (let alone a light one).

I imagine waiting on two affects one, so I guess it's up to Blaze to toss out when he think so would be a likely range for us to pull this off.

---

Speaking of 1.8, I deleted the Minecraft app and AppSupport folder from my MacBook, restored from Time Machine and somehow it still boots into 1.8. Perplexing.

---

New nether stuff:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 04:49 PM

As much as I want to start a fresh 1.8, like, right now, I think it'll be best to let Blaze decide when he is ready.

With the three of us on last night the lag was atrocious, I was actually taking quite a bit of damage while attempting to mine. Not to mention my Outpost #2s rail switch acts very flaky with lag, sending me in the wrong direction.

This isn't much of a worry to someone who has 7 safehouses and chests full of goodies, but starting fresh is going to be pretty hectic, especially with the new additions, and playing in that environment of crazy lag would just kill the fun.

I'm sure Blaze will work diligently on the problem, but seeing as he appears to be a busy man with many responsibilities I don't want to make him feel rushed.

--------------

Also, just a thought to make the first night bearable. How about a group 'care package' of sorts given to us by the almighty admin? I'm not thinking anything like gold or iron, but more like a dozen torches, some wood, and perhaps a bed to start with would take out some of the tedium with needing alot of wood to start with and also having to get it from outside.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm sure Blaze will work diligently on the problem, but seeing as he appears to be a busy man with many responsibilities I don't want to make him feel rushed.

Also, just a thought to make the first night bearable. How about a group 'care package' of sorts given to us by the almighty admin? I'm not thinking anything like gold or iron, but more like a dozen torches, some wood, and perhaps a bed to start with would take out some of the tedium with needing alot of wood to start with and also having to get it from outside.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 05:14 PM

Should we start off with a community similar to the one we discussed a few months ago? Plots, guidelines, etc.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2011, 05:15 PM

I would have suggested this, had I thought it had a chance in hell.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 05:17 PM

Blaze is an agnostic-type Minecraft god. No touchy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2011, 05:18 PM

A chance in Nether?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 05:27 PM

Should we start off with a community similar to the one we discussed a few months ago? Plots, guidelines, etc.
It would be nice to have the group close together to start with, in case someone has no food and is low on hunger, or other complications. No to close that we can't build a decent home, but I'm not planning on anything large until I set off to find my deep ravine.

Basically my first safehouse will be little more than surface access and a huge mine. This time I'm going to stock up on every conceivable resource to get rid of the tiresome stop in building to chop trees down to make sticks so I can keep shoveling. Long have I been jealous of Blaze's double-chests-O'-everything.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2011, 05:38 PM

Well, to me it seems given that no one should be able to claim the original spawn for themselves. So that seems like an ideal place to start our community (With the added bonus of that's where you'll go should you lose bed spawn).

Second, perhaps we should try scouting seeds? Or just entering the name "MacNN" or Blaze" as our seed and going with it?

Honestly, I'd just move ahead to 1.8 if I could figure out why my attempted rollback isn't working. I should probably just bite the bullet and upgrade the MacBook, but that's a small investment of time and effort I'm not interested in.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2011, 09:37 PM

okay moved to a HD instead of a flash stick. It seems less laggy to me. Only lagged on me once.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 10:06 PM

It would be nice to have the group close together to start with, in case someone has no food and is low on hunger, or other complications. No to close that we can't build a decent home, but I'm not planning on anything large until I set off to find my deep ravine.
Maybe everyone should start throwing in their own recommendations for plot size, and height/material restrictions. I'm going to experiment a bit in creative mode to throw together some mock-ups.

Basically my first safehouse will be little more than surface access and a huge mine. This time I'm going to stock up on every conceivable resource to get rid of the tiresome stop in building to chop trees down to make sticks so I can keep shoveling. Long have I been jealous of Blaze's double-chests-O'-everything.
Blaze's infinite chests were incredible. I still have no idea how he did it.

Well, to me it seems given that no one should be able to claim the original spawn for themselves. So that seems like an ideal place to start our community (With the added bonus of that's where you'll go should you lose bed spawn).
Bingo. Town square.

Second, perhaps we should try scouting seeds? Or just entering the name "MacNN" or Blaze" as our seed and going with it?
I love this idea.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2011, 10:29 PM

okay moved to a HD instead of a flash stick. It seems less laggy to me. Only lagged on me once.
Nice, thanks. Will test tomorrow FWIW

Speaking of 1.8, I deleted the Minecraft app and AppSupport folder from my MacBook, restored from Time Machine and somehow it still boots into 1.8. Perplexing.
Well, for some reason rolling the bin back an additional more vintage back up worked. Makes no appreciable sense, but that's computers for you.

Maybe everyone should start throwing in their own recommendations for plot size, and height/material restrictions. I'm going to experiment a bit in creative mode to throw together some mock-ups.
I'll get right on that.

I love this idea.
Err... which one?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 11:03 PM

Err... which one?
Sorry, I didn't clarify. I meant both.

I like the idea of scouting a few, starting with your suggestions of MacNN or Blaze. I want to do a bit of testing, however. I seem to remember us lamenting the fact that our old seed wasn't quite as dramatic, terrain-wise, as we'd have liked (purely in retrospect, of course).

Forum Links
Forum Rules