Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best UK Broadband provider?

Best UK Broadband provider?
thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 01:07 AM

My sister is off to live in the UK for two years (work related) and would like to have a broadband connection while over there. She will be staying somewhere around the London area if that makes a difference.

Just wondering who you UK guys use for broadband? Over here she is getting 512/128kbs ADSL with a 4GB limit before traffic is shaped, for $50AU per month (~�19). Would she be able to get something similar in the UK? Is it more or less expensive?

She has a 12" Powerbook, with an Airport Express. So I guess she'd just want a place that can give her an Ethernet modem (hopefully for free), and a decent service. Who do you recommend?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 01:16 AM

a friend of mine recently (last month) signed up with homechoice, which gives him a 512k line and on demand tv. he said he is paying around �25 per month. he is very happy with it. he said he gets about 100kps downloads. they set up everything for him and gave him a tv box that handles his internet, and that is plugged into his airport extreme basestation.
he mentioned that he has a daily bandwidth limit of 1 gig. i am not sure if this is download only or upload and download combined.

this gives him tv and internet. i am not sure if homechoice has separate services, only tv, only internet.

i have another friend who is using bt broadband. i will ask her tomorrow what she is paying per month for that. her downloads max out at around 50kps.

edit. both of my friends are in the london area

nath
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
My sister is off to live in the UK for two years (work related) and would like to have a broadband connection while over there. She will be staying somewhere around the London area if that makes a difference.

Just wondering who you UK guys use for broadband? Over here she is getting 512/128kbs ADSL with a 4GB limit before traffic is shaped, for $50AU per month (~�19). Would she be able to get something similar in the UK? Is it more or less expensive?

She has a 12" Powerbook, with an Airport Express. So I guess she'd just want a place that can give her an Ethernet modem (hopefully for free), and a decent service. Who do you recommend?

i live in london. your sister's basic choices will be between using British Telecom's broadband offerings (or one of the hundreds of companies that use BT's exchanges to offer similar services) or using a cable broadband service from NTL, Telewest, Homechoice or Blue Yonder, which is what I have. There's not too much difference in price between them - for a 512k connection you will probably be looking at between �21 and �25. The BT option requires you to have a BT line connected to the property (if there isn't one there you would pay about �120 for a new connection). NTL (which I have) is 512/128kps and I've never hit a limit although I believe there is one. Their installation is �50 and you get a set-top box with an ethernet output.

One thing you may find is that UK ISPs are often useless when it comes to Mac. BT are known for trying to push USB modems on people, and NTL aren't much better. The most important thing is to speak to whoever's doing the installation and make it repeatedly clear that you only want an ethernet connection.

One ISP that are highly rated is Bulldog (a company that use BT's exchanges). They are definitely Mac friendly and have a system where bandwidth varies depending on the time of day. I will probably be switching to them soon.

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/flash.asp

jimsmac
Sep 28, 2004, 03:01 AM

I've been using Plusnet for a while, and they are very good IMHO.

www.plus.net
James
eMac 1.25, iBook 600, Airport Extreme, iPod G4 20gb

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 04:02 AM

Check out http://www.bt.com/broadband/

It's a good service.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 04:54 AM

BT is not good.

Go for BullDog.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 05:34 AM

I'm with a company called ndo

http://ndo.com/

they also tech support macs, although I've not have reason to find out - been with them for nearly a year, slowed down once or twice and disconnected (briefly), but 99% of the time its fine, good fast connection.

Pipex are also supposed to be good:

http://www.solo.pipex.net/

See here for more info on UK broadband

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Telewest look good but I'm not in a telewest area - also bulldog offer up to 8MB speed depending on area (only central London).

hope this helps

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 06:01 AM

Avoid wanadoo.....

period

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2004, 06:28 AM

I'm on Pipex, which have been very good over the past two years. It was 23 quid for a 512k line, I think - I've just upgraded to 1meg.

They support Macs quite well too, which is nice They did push a USB modem, unfortunately, but there's mac software that comes with it, so it wasn't too bad. I bought a cheap router though, since the connection needed to be shared. I think there is a limit for downloading, but there's 7 people in this house downloading constantly and we've never been stopped, so....
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

drive-thru
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 06:53 AM

I've used Telewest for the past 4 years. I think they're probably more expensivefor broadband alone, but I get my phone line and digital TV through them as well which makes it a bit cheaper & generally less hassle.

http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/internet.htm <-Shows pricing, a 750k connection is �27.99 alone. I don't think there's a download limit, connection is through a cable modem (ethernet) rather than USB and they have become increasingly mac-friendly lately.
As I said, probably not the best for price for the connection alone.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2004, 06:56 AM

I'm in the UK just now for a few months and just been setting up a broadband connection for my parents. After doing a bit of research, and asking people, I went for Bulldog, very good service, and is about �22 a month.

I recommend them highly.

http://www.bulldogdsl.com
PIXAR Animation Studios

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 06:58 AM

NTL have increased the speeds of their service in the UK but have kept the same prices.

So for the price of the old 512 you now get 750, and the 1MB has gone up to 1.5MB

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2004, 07:35 AM

Bulldog is getting excellent reviews.
BT Internet is what we use for our business. No data limits, good support and we never had any downtime. They offer a package where they install a wireless router ready to go that was great value for money.
I personally had bad experiences with NTL, specifically with the customer service. Never again. Others on this board (philzilla) are happy with NTL.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 10:24 AM

this site has a good list of various UK ISPs with readers reviews and comments.
http://ispreview.co.uk/

i'm thinking of going with this ISP V21 they got reported on El Reg as being the cheapest and no bandwidth limits.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 06:59 PM

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/aa/

Andrews & Arnold are the choice of the discerning british geek.. I just wish I'd discovered them before signing up to a year with demon.net

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 08:39 PM

Cheers guys, Bulldog seemed to get the highest praise in this thread, although I am checking them all out now. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough though - because I can't seem to find details of their plans including prices, speeds and downloads per month??

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 05:01 AM

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2004, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Cheers guys, Bulldog seemed to get the highest praise in this thread, although I am checking them all out now. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough though - because I can't seem to find details of their plans including prices, speeds and downloads per month??
I got my folks the 512k alltime 500 service from Bulldog. There's no monthly download limit, the connection seems to be constant so far (been a few months already) and they pay, I think, �22.

I was pretty surprised by their services, really been stellar and no probs with a Mac.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Forum Links
Forum Rules