Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > uhh.. new Shuffle?

uhh.. new Shuffle?
mikochu
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 10:23 PM

So, how about that new iPod Shuffle? Does anyone know the ETA on it?
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 11:00 PM

Shipping mid/late October, I think. I was thinking of ordering one. You?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 11:59 PM

Yeah, I'm interested in buying one. I was hoping they'd be available October 1st, but oh well...Apple is starting to slip. hah. I don't want to pre-order it online, either...I like spending money at the Apple Store...plus, there's cute girls that work there.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2006, 03:21 AM

I'm waiting for them to start shipping too. I urgently need to replace my 1 GB shuffle because its headphone connector has a loose connection. I was hoping they would start shipping by now, but that was indeed very naive...

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2006, 05:36 AM

Cool.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 09:11 AM

I have a ipod car adapter hooked up to my headunit. That'd be cool if they had a dock connector to shuffle adapter.
( Last edited by mikochu; Oct 4, 2006 at 09:23 AM. )

b11051973
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2006, 10:22 AM

I'm patiently waiting for its release also. I placed a pre-order the day it was announced.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2006, 09:29 PM

Just ordered one. I've always avoided iPods in the past because they have no radio. My new gym, however, has no FM reception in the weight room, so I may as well have an iPod... It looks like it'll be convenient to clip on.

Damn that "appropriate" filter for the engraving message, though....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by ink
Just ordered one. I've always avoided iPods in the past because they have no radio. My new gym, however, has no FM reception in the weight room, so I may as well have an iPod... It looks like it'll be convenient to clip on.

Damn that "appropriate" filter for the engraving message, though....
They have an "appropriate" filter?! I'm never buying an iPod again!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2006, 01:43 PM

On Apple site is says shipping Oct 31.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

mikochu  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2006, 03:27 PM

weak.

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2006, 09:05 PM

My wife wants one, not that the 30gb video she has is shabby. She likes how small it is, plus the clip, for working out. She has a set playlist already, so a screen is worthless to her. So late October eh? She is not going to be happy.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2006, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
On Apple site is says shipping Oct 31.
I didn't find anything like that on apple.com/ipodshuffle. And the Apple store just says 'Ships: October'. Do you have a link?

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2006, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
I didn't find anything like that on apple.com/ipodshuffle. And the Apple store just says 'Ships: October'. Do you have a link?
Oct 31st is the date that all pre-orders have been stated with.

My order says Estimated Shipping 31st Oct, Estimated Delivery 2nd Nov.

I guess they are playing safe, as Steve said "Ships in October".

You may find it actually ships before then, making us all happier.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2006, 12:44 PM

Can't wait for the new shuffle...my gumstick has survived four-story falls and is still going strong, but the new form factor and the integrated clip is too much for me to pass up.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2006, 07:01 PM

i didnt want to make a new thread for this, but has anyone else noticed that the picture for the new shuffle on the apple site shows it with the old style apple headphones rather then the new?

Alex

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2006, 02:51 AM

Maybe a cheap way to clear inventory of the old earbuds.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2006, 12:04 PM

i would be kinda annoyed if my new shuffle came with the older type earbuds rather then the new kind like the new nanos and videos do

GSmith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 05:23 PM

does anyone know if the new shuffle can play and charge at the same time? The dock uses the headphone jack, so could you play and charge at the same time with a headphone spliter? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2006, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by GSmith
does anyone know if the new shuffle can play and charge at the same time? The dock uses the headphone jack, so could you play and charge at the same time with a headphone spliter? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
A while back I started a thread to ask how the USB connection on the new shuffle works.

Obviously the new shuffle's headphone connector has two leads in addition to the two you need for audio. Since USB uses four leads, I guess the shuffle switches from audio to USB on the fly as soon as you plug it in. So I don't think you could get audio out of there at the same time as it's using the USB connection. And if you put a splitter in there, chances are you'll put the USB charging current on your headphones.

JayMan8081
Oct 12, 2006, 09:02 AM

I went ahead and pre-ordered a Shuffle this week. I already have a 4th Gen iPod, but I wanted something that I could use while runnning or working out and I love the new Shuffle design. I'm hoping that they might ship earlier than the stated October 31 date.

JayMan8081
Oct 12, 2006, 09:02 AM

Moderator please delete this post. My browser went crazy!

b11051973
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
i didnt want to make a new thread for this, but has anyone else noticed that the picture for the new shuffle on the apple site shows it with the old style apple headphones rather then the new?

Alex
Steve Jobs said when it was announced that it comes with the new earphones.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2006, 03:10 AM

Weird. I remember that I thought he did too, and then a friend called me on it, and I couldn't find anywhere in the keynote where he talks about it coming with the new earbuds.
Linkinus is king.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2006, 08:21 PM

I personally am bummed about the new design of the shuffles. I really liked the idea of an ipod that doubled as a portable memory stick (i.e. no need for a dock). My old shuffle was great until the headphone jack became intermittent - now if I buy a replacement it'll likely be a Nano..... I guess I'm falling into Apples upgrade trap.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 07:06 AM

I can seriously see an iPod accessory maker like Belkin or Griffin or some other company making a USB plug adapter attachment for the new shuffle. It would look like an extension of the shuffle shape (like the attachment part of the new nano lanyard headphones), with a cap or a fold away/slide away USB plug. I am thinking of getting a new iPod, shuffle or nano, not to replace my 4G, but as a walk around every day one (the 4G is basically my car stereo now).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2006, 03:23 PM

i really like the design of this ipod...but i love the fact that my gumstick can double as a usb stick as well as an ipod without carrying extra stuff. so i still like my shuffle a taaaaaaaaaaaddddddddd bit better, but only functionally...these new shuffles look DA BOMB!!! < reference to 1998
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by b11051973 View Post

yep he sure did, but notice what kind of earbuds the picture uses?

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by b11051973 View Post
He did not say that at all.
Watch the keynote again and you will see that for the full size iPod and the nano he does spcifically mention the new headphones, in fact he lists them a a new feature on the slides.

BUT for the shuffle he does not mention the new headphones at all AND they are not listed as a new feature on the slide for the shuffle.

Now this could be an oversight or it could be deliberate.

The images on the Apple website for the new shuffle do show the old style headphones, but for the iPod and nano the new ones are shown.

We will only get this answered when they ship.

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2006, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
yep he sure did, but notice what kind of earbuds the picture uses?
Please rewatch the keynote, he did not mention the new headphones in connection with the shuffle.

Ian

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2006, 04:26 PM

The new headphones should come with the shuffle. Unless there's a big price difference, why not? I've seen photos of the demos after the event, and they were using the new buds there.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2006, 07:22 PM

So when are these going to be available? It is October ya know?
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2006, 07:59 PM

They ship in one week. Yay!

kaido
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2006, 10:20 PM

I'm definately in for one. I even bought myself an elliptical machine to start working out with it. I'm just waiting on the new Shuffle to come out to start using it

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2006, 01:11 PM

I love the suffle, its cheap enought so if anything breaks you can just use your regular iPod and get a new one.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2006, 01:54 PM

I'm kinda miffed that you gotta use the little "dock" to charge and sync. Why couldn't they just shove the "standard" dock connector in it? :-/
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by andretan View Post
I'm kinda miffed that you gotta use the little "dock" to charge and sync. Why couldn't they just shove the "standard" dock connector in it? :-/
Because it's not big enough to fit the full size dock on it.

Ian

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Parky View Post
Because it's not big enough to fit the full size dock on it.

Ian
Yes, I know that, but look at the new nanos (G2)! They are thinner than the first gen nanos, yet they still manage to have the Dock connector.

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2006, 02:41 AM

I'd be surprised not to see two adapters introduced pretty soon by third-party manufacturers:
• iPod shuffle to USB dongle (short dongle to use the shuffle as a memory stick)
• iPod shuffle to iPod dock connector (for those that want to use their shuffle with other iPod peripherals)

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2006, 08:30 AM

We're quickly running out of days for it ship in October.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2006, 09:57 AM

Anyways, this is one sweet case that's been announced for the new shuffle.

Mophie

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2006, 06:29 PM

Anyways, this is one sweet case that's been announced for the new shuffle.

Very nice.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 03:27 AM

And what purpose does it serve? Is it just protection for the aluminum finish or does it offer some kind of functionality?

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 06:24 AM

Yes, I know that, but look at the new nanos (G2)! They are thinner than the first gen nanos, yet they still manage to have the Dock connector.

That's because they are big enough to fit in the dock connector.

Nano is big enough, shuffle is not - easy

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2006, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
And what purpose does it serve? Is it just protection for the aluminum finish or does it offer some kind of functionality?

The groove edges of the case serve as a earbud cord winder...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 07:35 AM

Smart!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
They ship in one week. Yay!
do you have one on preorder (I'm asking, does your order status actually show a ship date of a week?)

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
do you have one on preorder (I'm asking, does your order status actually show a ship date of a week?)
My preorder lists 10/31 as the ship date.

jwuerz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 12:57 AM

My preorder lists 10/31 as the ship date.
Mine also gives 10/31 as the ship by date. I mean, they could ship sooner rather than later. Kinda Spooky, mind the pun.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 02:36 AM

Apparently Apple is missing the Oct 31 ship date and moving all orders to mid Nov.

Secret Notes - New iPod shuffle delayed until mid-November

Forum Links
Forum Rules