Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2008 iMac Revisions?

2008 iMac Revisions?
Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2008, 07:22 PM

I've been meaning to buy a new iMac for some time now, to replace my 17" iMac G5 which I've had since May 2005.

I am an artist and graphic designer, so the screen must be of the quality I'm used to. For this reason I am going for the 24" model, as it doesn't suffer from the disappointingly poor screen quality of the 20".

What I would like too avoid however, is getting one just before a revision. This has happened to me before, where I've missed out on £100-£200 worth of CPU upgrades, more memory, etc.

Since the last revision was mid-2007, can I expect there to be another revision soon? I can hold out until the end of spring for this.

Anyone have any info or a good hunch about this? Thanks.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2008, 07:44 PM

It's been a pretty long time since the last update, and MacRumors has the iMac listed as nearing an upgrade. I would bet there would be some kind of update this Spring. I'm planning on getting a new iMac in the next few months too, so I've been on the lookout.

Maybe someone else can give more exact info.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2008, 11:37 PM

Intel has released new chips suitable for the iMac; I'd expect an update in 2Q.

Beware that all iMacs now have glossy screens; some graphics people don't like the glossy coating because it adds contrast/saturation.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 12:28 AM

Yeah, the glossy screen is the only thing I'm hesitant about.

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 12:38 AM

I love my glossy screen, I would never go back to the non-glossy. I guess it totally depends on where your computer resides.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2008, 01:15 AM

And there is always sandpaper

-t

Ozzpot  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 01:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

I've got my fingers crossed for an update by April or May then.

As for the glossy screen, I've used my sister's MacBook a few times, and yes, it can be annoying at certain angles. I wouldn't want to have a window opposite my desk, that's for sure, but I'm sure I'll manage.

I'm surprised no-one's made some kind of anti-reflection film for the new screens. Or have they?

I just really need to make the switch to Intel, plus the extra screen real-estate will be very useful to me, and it'll also be my first taste of 10.5.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2008, 01:40 AM

I'll tell ya what, my 2.8ghz Extreme iMac is the bomb. I am so happy with this little beast that I couldn't imagine life without it. I wouldn't wait forever for the next gen chips... no matter what you do, a few months later the next gen will be out. The nice thing about Mac's is that they hold their resale value, so if you absolutely must upgrade, you can always unload your old system on eBay and get your new one.

I think my new system will last me 3 years or more.

P
Feb 12, 2008, 10:57 AM

My guess is that we'll get an iMac update in late March and that it will mirror the MBP update that arrives about a month before, except possibly with ATi graphics instead of nVidia or vice versa.

JuveMation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 10:48 PM

As for the glossy screen you will get used to it and not notice the glare anymore after a little while.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2008, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
My guess is that we'll get an iMac update in late March and that it will mirror the MBP update that arrives about a month before, except possibly with ATi graphics instead of nVidia or vice versa.
Exactly what I'm expecting as well.

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2008, 11:16 PM

What do you guys think the revisions will be?
- Processor?
- Graphic Cards?
- Maybe Blu-Ray support?
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 12:33 AM

Penryn/Cantiga for the processor/chipset and the mobile midrange card from either ATI HD3000 series or nVidia 9000M series.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 03:31 AM

No Blu-ray in the next iMac (expected in March). There might just be a BTO option, but I wouldn't count on it.

The chipset will be Crestline (the same as right now). They'll use 45nm, 35mm^2 Penryn CPUs. Probably the T9500 (2.6 / 6MB / 800 MHz / 35 W) and the T9300 (2.5 / 6MB / 800 MHz / 35 W). Again I'd expect a BTO option for the Extreme Edition CPU: that would be a X9000 (2.8 / 6MB / 800 MHz / 44 W). This March update will be a 'refresh' rather than a big update.

Expect bigger changes in Fall when Apple will be able to get the Cantiga chipset from Intel together with the Montevina refresh Penryns (both expected June 3-7). That'll get us a 1067 MHz FSB, possibly DDR3-800, CPU clock speeds up to 3.06 GHz, a new Ethernet controller, support for DisplayPort (although I doubt Apple will make use of that at this stage), and the possibility of getting a quad-core BTO option: the QX9300 running at ~3 GHz, 12 MB L2, and a 45W TDP (Intel's first mobile quad-core).
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 19, 2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo duh)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
They'll use 45nm, 35m^2 Penryn CPUs
That's a pretty big CPU, eh. (35 mm)^2 or 1225 mm^2 sounds more reasonable.

I could see Apple going either way... either being late to the Penryn/Crestline bus or early on the Penryn/Cantiga bus.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 05:11 PM

No Blu-ray in the next iMac (expected in March). There might just be a BTO option, but I wouldn't count on it.

The chipset will be Crestline (the same as right now). They'll use 45nm, 35mm^2 Penryn CPUs. Probably the T9500 (2.6 / 6MB / 800 MHz / 35 W) and the T9300 (2.5 / 6MB / 800 MHz / 35 W). Again I'd expect a BTO option for the Extreme Edition CPU: that would be a X9000 (2.8 / 6MB / 800 MHz / 44 W). This March update will be a 'refresh' rather than a big update.

Expect bigger changes in Fall when Apple will be able to get the Cantiga chipset from Intel together with the Montevina refresh Penryns (both expected June 3-7). That'll get us a 1067 MHz FSB, possibly DDR3-800, CPU clock speeds up to 3.06 GHz, a new Ethernet controller, support for DisplayPort (although I doubt Apple will make use of that at this stage), and the possibility of getting a quad-core BTO option: the QX9300 running at ~3 GHz, 12 MB L2, and a 45W TDP (Intel's first mobile quad-core).
This isn't good news for me. I've been waiting for an update to buy a new mac, and I'm still on an upgraded Sawtooth... I'd like my new Mac to stick for a while, I don't want it to be horrifically out-of-date after a upgrade cycle. (I know all upgrades move the Macs down a step, but really...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

JonLF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2008, 06:52 PM

How about graphics? Is there any chance that there will be a bump for both iMac and MBP?

I realize we are about 7 days from the end of the average iMac cycle and am holding out. RAM and processor speed are both fine for me as is, but I would hate to miss out on something significant because I couldn't wait a few weeks.

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2008, 12:24 AM

Definitely there is going to be graphics card update, because that's the main thing everyone is complaining about. But for sure there will be a speed bump too, although chip sets are fine the way they are right now.
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

JonLF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2008, 03:39 AM

Will this be an update for the 128 or the 256? Are we going to see a 512?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
This isn't good news for me. I've been waiting for an update to buy a new mac, and I'm still on an upgraded Sawtooth... I'd like my new Mac to stick for a while, I don't want it to be horrifically out-of-date after a upgrade cycle. (I know all upgrades move the Macs down a step, but really...
Even though the second update I mentioned will have more impact it will not make any of the previous iMacs obsolete. It will be a while before apps require Cantiga and won't work with Crestline (if that happens at all).

This is the problem with the waiting game: there will always be the next update around the corner. With Intel's "tick tock" CPU update cycle and the interleaved Centrino chipset updates, there will be something new to wait for at least once or twice a year.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by JonLF View Post
How about graphics? Is there any chance that there will be a bump for both iMac and MBP?
I expect both to get a bump, but this will not be anything major. If you look at what ATI and Nvidia are offering right now there's really not much to upgrade to - unless of course you assume Apple will all of sudden start paying more for iMac or MBP GPUs.

P
Feb 20, 2008, 05:44 PM

The new iMac will likely use an updated card of the same level as the 2600 it replaces, except one generation newer - a 3650 or something of the like, if it's available by the time of the launch. Might get a BTO option for a 3670 if you're really lucky.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2008, 09:04 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the revisions will handle more RAM?

I could do with more than 4GB but perhaps that eats into the pro market too much
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2008, 01:41 AM

It's a long shot, but if they introduce a matte screen option, I would buy one immediately.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by ixus_123 View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the revisions will handle more RAM?
If the next iMac comes with Crestline you ca be certain it will have the same 4GB RAM limit. Eventually the iMac will switch over to Cantiga (won't happen before June though) and then we might see this change. Currently I also doubt Apple wants to push the iMac any closer toward the MP. Increasing the max RAM would do just that.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 11:05 AM

Even though the second update I mentioned will have more impact it will not make any of the previous iMacs obsolete. It will be a while before apps require Cantiga and won't work with Crestline (if that happens at all).

This is the problem with the waiting game: there will always be the next update around the corner. With Intel's "tick tock" CPU update cycle and the interleaved Centrino chipset updates, there will be something new to wait for at least once or twice a year.
It's not that "around the corner" thing that I'm so concerned about. It's missing the big update by buying into the small update. Kind of like buying a top-of-the-line G5 right before the Mac Pros were released. While I realize this is not nearly that kind of update, an increase to the bus I think would be noticeable as well as faster RAM etc. Chips come and go, but Motherboard redesigns are fewer inbetween.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
It's not that "around the corner" thing that I'm so concerned about. It's missing the big update by buying into the small update. Kind of like buying a top-of-the-line G5 right before the Mac Pros were released. While I realize this is not nearly that kind of update, an increase to the bus I think would be noticeable as well as faster RAM etc. Chips come and go, but Motherboard redesigns are fewer inbetween.
In that case I think you've pretty much answered it for yourself. When the iMac gets an update in roughly a month or so and you see it comes with Penryn/Crestline you'll know that was the 'minor' upgrade. You can then ask yourself if you're willing to wait another roughly half year till you get the 'major' update with Penryn refresh/Cantiga.

Of course as always there's no guarantee for when Apple will actually implement the new chipset and in the end if you're unlucky, you could be waiting quite a while longer. But again, that's just part of the waiting game.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2008, 07:15 PM

Dude, there are people that have NEVER pulled the trigger because some new revision is right around the corner.

Do you have the money now ? Then go get it NOW.

-t

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 07:20 PM

I don't have the money right now... just a deal. My wife said that if I could pull together half the cash, we'd pay the rest. So I'm struggling to sell stuff to get it all together.

If I'm ready, I'll probably buy ASAP. I just don't want to be the guy who bought a G5 6 months before the MacPros came out. Then again, it was still a nice machine.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

JonLF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2008, 12:45 AM

So MBP came out offering a 512mb card. This is fairly indicative that the revised iMac should have a 512mb as at least a BTO, right? I am not gun shy, but waiting to go from 256 to 512 makes sense, doesn't it?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2008, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by JonLF View Post
So MBP came out offering a 512mb card. This is fairly indicative that the revised iMac should have a 512mb as at least a BTO, right? I am not gun shy, but waiting to go from 256 to 512 makes sense, doesn't it?
Except for the 512MB VRAM being mostly pointless given the GPU performance...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 10:11 PM

The 2.8Ghz iMac is now $50 cheaper.

MortonH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Except for the 512MB VRAM being mostly pointless given the GPU performance...
Excuse my ignorance, but why would this be pointless?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but why would this be pointless?
Because the iMac's graphics problem is not the missing 512 MB VRAM option. It's mainly the HD 2600 PRO and/or its drivers.

Swapping the iMac's GPU to let's say an 8800 would do far more for the average gamer than adding extra VRAM to the 2600.

MortonH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2008, 07:37 AM

Right. I didn't realize we were assuming that the basic card would remain the same. What are the chances of the iMac using nVidia cards next time?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 08:28 AM

Not likely. Apple will probably not want to put only Nvidia GPUs in all iMacs and MBPs. They usually try to balance their demand somewhat between ATI and Nvidia.

P
Feb 28, 2008, 08:59 AM

They might update to the 3xxx generation of cards, however. Since Apple tends to be focused on non-gaming features and cool running parts, it makes sense to introduce a newer generation of cards. This is why I think we'll see a 3650 or similar GPU. We might keep hoping for a 3850, but I'm not betting on it - there isn't even a mobile version available of it yet.

Note that a 3650 (desktop) barely outpaces a 2600 XT, though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 09:17 AM

Indeed. There's quite some stagnation in the GPU area. The 3650 is hardly an improvement over the 2600 (especially if you're not interested in DirectX or DisplayPort). Likewise for the Nvidia GPUs: the 9300M GS is a relabeled 8400M and the 9500M GS is a relabeled 8600M GT.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 02:43 PM

Likewise for the Nvidia GPUs: the 9300M GS is a relabeled 8400M and the 9500M GS is a relabeled 8600M GT.
Is it really just relabeling or is it just the same architecture with implementation tweaks? The 8800s were G8x parts until the 8800GT (G92), and the 9600GT is G94 part with the same overall architecture of stream processors/shaders, but implementation tweaks.
( Last edited by mduell; Feb 28, 2008 at 02:55 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Is it really just relabeling or is it just the same architecture with implementation tweaks? The 8800s were G8x parts until the 8800GT (G92), and the 9600GT is G94 part with the same overall architecture of stream processors/shaders, but implementation tweaks.
Apparently on the specific models mentioned it is really just plain relabeling. Unfortunately.

P
Feb 28, 2008, 06:47 PM

Source? That sounds faintly dishonest.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Source? That sounds faintly dishonest.
HardWare.fr - GeForce 9M : à l'ouest, rien de nouveau... (French)

Dishonest? To a certain extent yes. But it's nothing new. Lots of examples in the past.

P
Feb 29, 2008, 08:51 AM

Yes, lots of examples, but only from ATi I think - not aware of nVidia pulling this trick before.

I wonder why ATi won't release a 3850 in a mobile variant - it's low power enough, and it would be a perfect chip for the iMac with the latest price drops.

adamwaring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 11:12 AM

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2008, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Dude, there are people that have NEVER pulled the trigger because some new revision is right around the corner.
Do you have the money now ? Then go get it NOW.
You've kinda got a point but if the new one comes out on Tuesday I don't think the "some new revision is right around the corner"... it'll be many months away and I'll gladly upgrade. Some of us like to only buy new computers when the computer is new. Obviously if new ones came out only once every couple years or if they came out ever month this wouldn't be practical, but they seem to come out often enough that you can often wait until they upgrade them and you don't feel screwed right away. What if that guy took your advice and bought one this weekend and they came out with the new one on Tuesday? Wouldn't you feel bad.... he sure would!

Originally Posted by adamwaring View Post
Now that sounds like more useful information! Thanks! I think I will!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

MortonH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 07:34 AM

Not likely. Apple will probably not want to put only Nvidia GPUs in all iMacs and MBPs. They usually try to balance their demand somewhat between ATI and Nvidia.
But if the ATI cards are cr@p, why stick with them?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 12:08 PM

I've just decided last week to upgrade from my Mac mini with 22" LCD to a 24" iMac. So hopefully an updated model will be out in the next 2 to 4 weeks so in which case I'll buy the new one from Amazon.com hoping they still have the $100 mail in rebate offer as well. I'm sure we'll see 2 GB RAM stock and the processor bumped to 2.5 GHz with 6 MB L2 cache and that's probably it.

ziipppp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 04:07 PM

I'm in the same position as BoingoBoingo
Looking to upgrade, but my buying process is hampered by the Glossy Screen.

Matte Screen
plus some implementation of multi-touch and I'm going to be first in line.

BlueRay I'm not too bothered about - seems that there are a lot of gaming applications plus video which I'd rather watch on the 42" plasma not a computer screen (especially not a glossy one) - so I'd rather get an XBox with a BR drive.

Looking forward to Tuesday now!

Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 04:26 PM

You can't have multi-touch and a matte screen. The screen will have to have glass over it to have multi-touch capabilities.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2008, 05:38 PM

It wouldn't have to be on the screen to have multitouch. The MacbookPro's isn't. And there is such thing as matte glass anyway. I don't see Apple moving away from glossy though.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules