Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Ringer Settings

iPhone Ringer Settings
jaba813
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2008, 12:17 PM

I currently have a Blackberry Pearl and am trying to decide whether or not to switch to the new Bold or to get an iPhone.

I have a couple of questions in regards to features on my Blackberry that I'm unaware of whether they appear on the iPhone or not.

1) On my BB I can have one ringer that notifies me for emails, sms, mms, phone calls etc... and another that might only notify me of phone calls and sms. I can also select which email accounts I want notification on.

Is this possible with the iPhone.

2) Also, I'm kind of partial to voice dialing on my BB. I know there are third party apps that allow this on the iPhone. Does anyone have any experience with them? What are the chances that feature will appear on a future release?

3) My company is on a Outlook Enterprise server. Currently I do not have my BB on the Enterprise plan. I have an iPod touch that gets my Enterprise email/contacts/calendars with no problem. Does the AT&T iPhone prevent me from doing so without purchasing the Enterprise plan as with the Blackberry?

4) Also, what's the current rumor on Full GPS on the iPhone. I know that Garmin and others have produced an App for this, but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything further about this.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 03:28 PM

1) You can have different rings for calls but not the others. I think a jailbroken phone can do it though but not 100% sure.

2) Voice dialing is hit or miss right now. If this will change, no one knows right now.

3) No idea.

4) No official word yet. Google maps is getting some nice upgrades for next patch but no word on when turn-by-turn is coming.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 07:18 PM

New voicmail, new mail, sent mail and calendar alerts each have their own distinct alerts, but they aren't customizable (not without a jailbreak). There are a handful of Apple-supplied options for text message alerts (which I think are nice for the most part), but you can't supply your own alerts for those.

AFAIK, AT&T doesn't prevent you from connecting to an Exchange server. The iPhone includes an unlimited data plan, and that should be all that is necessary. I don't need to connect to an Exchange server at work, but when I create an Exchange email account on my iPhone, I don't notice any restrictions or limitations.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

22Gigs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2008, 03:14 AM

My phone has a different tone for calls than it does text messages, not sure about the others.

What do you mean by full GPS? I use Google Maps app all the time.
22Gigs.com - 22 GB of FREE Hosting for Mac users!

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2008, 12:58 PM

re: connecting to an Exchange Server

I use my personal iPhone with my company's Exchange Server. The iPhone is not on an AT&T business plan. I believe I only needed four pieces of info to connect to the Exchange Server: domain, ID, password, and server address.

QS

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 22Gigs View Post
My phone has a different tone for calls than it does text messages, not sure about the others.

What do you mean by full GPS? I use Google Maps app all the time.
Turn-by-turn navigation. Google Maps does not provide that.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

Forum Links
Forum Rules