Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Federer. "...the greatest talent in the history of tennis"

Federer. "...the greatest talent in the history of tennis" (Page 6)
V
Senior User
Sep 10, 2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
That certainly makes up for the mediocre result on the women's side.
Kuznetsova was disappointing, both in semi and final, but Henin beating straight both Williams was quite something.

Originally Posted by abe View Post
Say that the next time he plays Nadal, who is still improving.
His game is improving but is body deteriorates. Knees injuries can shorten a career. Playing long and numerous 5 sets matches doesn't help either.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by V View Post
Kuznetsova was disappointing, both in semi and final, but Henin beating straight both Williams was quite something.
Meh. Not a fan of Henin... so disappointed in Venus.

His game is improving but is body deteriorates. Knees injuries can shorten a career. Playing long and numerous 5 sets matches doesn't help either.
There are still too many good hard-court players for Nadal to be much of a factor in Australia and New York (especially now that the Australian is replacing the Rebound Ace with a surface more like the U.S. Open).

Pete's record will fall next year. The only question is will it be at Wimbledon or the U.S. Open?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2008, 11:02 AM

Can he be the greatest talent in the history of tennis and get schooled like he did today at Roland Garros?

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2008, 11:23 AM

Yes, he can. Nadal is in another league, yet Federer has reached the the French Open final 3-4 consecutive times, he is being out played, yes, but by someone special, really.

He´ll be there again, and yes, I find him the very best ever. And a role model (Nadal words).

Pd. Nadal never played this well ever, since Hamburg, he is from another planet
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2008, 11:52 AM

"Federer. '...the greatest talent in the history of tennis'". ...the oldest thread bumped in the history of MacNN?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 01:04 PM

Yes, he can be the greatest ever. I think most of the (other surface) greats in history would be thumped by Nadal on clay. Sampras never won all four and he didn't have to play Nadal. Heck, Nadal has never lost at the French.

I'd like to see Nadal improve on the other surfaces and get a real rivalry going, with some killer five set knock down drag out finals.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 05:44 PM

I actually think these French Open finals help to show that Federer is truly the greatest ever. Nadal, who looks more and more like the best player to ever play on clay, has been the only person stopping him from a likely 3 straight French Open titles and 2 straight calender-year Grand Slams! The other players who couldn't win the French have never been this close for this long.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2008, 07:17 PM

Roger Federer defeated Andy Murray 6-2, 7-5, 6-2 to win his fifth consecutive U.S. Open and his 13th Grand Slam title. He becomes the first player in tennis history to win two different major titles five times in a row (Wimbledon 2003-2007). He is now in sole possession of second place for total slam titles, just one behind Pete Sampras.
( Last edited by lavar78; Sep 8, 2008 at 07:25 PM. )

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 11:37 AM

Well, can we make the case that Nadal, who is 22, might be "the greatest talent in the history of tennis" (regardless of the fact that this means nothing really). Will Federer ever win against Nadal again?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Yes, he can be the greatest ever. I think most of the (other surface) greats in history would be thumped by Nadal on clay. Sampras never won all four and he didn't have to play Nadal. Heck, Nadal has never lost at the French.

I'd like to see Nadal improve on the other surfaces and get a real rivalry going, with some killer five set knock down drag out finals.
I guess your wish was granted.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Well, can we make the case that Nadal, who is 22, might be "the greatest talent in the history of tennis" (regardless of the fact that this means nothing really).
He's certainly making a run at it. He keeps improving and, most importantly, he always makes his opponents beat him.

Will Federer ever win against Nadal again?
Oh, I'm sure he will. It's clearly a bad matchup for Federer, but he's certainly capable of playing the high level of tennis he needs to win. He could start by serving better. Still, until he can hit winners from the backhand side consistently against Nadal, it's going to be a struggle. Nadal's problems come against the players who can hit him off the court from both wings (like Gonzalez and Tsonga did at the last two Australian Opens as well as Murray and Djokovic at times). I still give Federer the edge at Wimbledon (ever so slightly) and the U.S. Open. I actually think he has a chance at the French Open (slim that it may be). I mean, Nadal has to lose at Roland Garros at some point, right?

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2009, 01:34 PM

Rafael Nadal upends Roger Federer for first Aussie title - ESPN
Feb 1, 2009 ... Rafael Nadal thwarted tennis history on Sunday while opening a new chapter of his own.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=3876400 - 4 hours ago
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2009, 02:04 PM

Roger Federer defeated Robin Soderling 6-1, 7-6 (7-1), 6-4 to win his first French Open title and 14th slam title, tying Pete Sampras for #1 all time. He became the sixth man to win the career grand slam. Andre Agassi, the man who last completed that feat 10 years earlier, presented Federer with the elusive Coupe des Mousquetaires.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2009, 11:09 AM

Bit of an anticlimatic match, but he finally showed up with intent to kill. Funny moment with that random guy running on the court... you could tell it was an awkward moment for him as he approached!

Depending on how Rafa shapes up, this could cement him as the best ever... with a slight asterisk that he can't seem to handle Nadal, of course.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules