Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > iphone Navigation Apps Tomtom vs Navigon

iphone Navigation Apps Tomtom vs Navigon (Page 2)
voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
TomTom Car Kit for iPhone 3GS - Apple Store (U.K.)

£99.95/€99.95, but that apparently INCLUDES the iPhone app (not to mention sales tax)?
The following is from the Apple Store and is part of the 'TomTom Car Kit for iPhone' ad:
"Overview
The TomTom app on your iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G (sold separately)** ......"

Notice the twin stars - because further down in the Overview is the following statement: "**Note: The TomTom app for iPhone is not included with this TomTom Car Kit"

That means £99.95 plus the app = about £160 ...yikes!!
£99.95 for a plastic cradle to hold my iPhone? Again ...yikes!!

This why I bought the CoPilot Live app for UK and Ireland for £26.99 which is excellent value for money and includes seven digit post codes!
A terrific app - I can't speak too highly of it!
I was recently in Italy using a hire car so before I left the UK I bought CoPilot for Italy which also worked wonderfully well - a first class app!
Incidentally, CoPilot for North America is only £20.99..!!
Hope this helps
voiceox
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2009, 01:06 AM

Navigon is clearly the best.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

j.donald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2009, 12:16 PM

There are many available , can any one give the jewel among them !!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Navigon is clearly the best.
With the latest update to TomTom, I'm not so sure. I think it's pretty much feature parity, and the TomTom interface seems garish, but more Mac-like in its operation.

I'm still trying to decide on either, or whether at all, given that we'll all be switching to Apple's own solution come next July...or will we?

Any thoughts?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2009, 03:25 PM

Also, FWIW: The TomTom Car Kit works very well with the Navigon software and, in fact, Apple's own Google Maps app.

The hands-free also works nicely.

I'm quite pleased with it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2009, 04:03 PM

That's cool.

Thanks for the info.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2009, 04:37 AM

I don't have TomTom so I can't compare the two directly, but I am quite familar with Navigon. First and foremost it does work very well. It acquires a fix quickly, it has a pretty up-to-date database, and it's reliable.

Two things I don't like at all. First, the GUI. It's way too dark. As if it were trying to appeal to geeks stuck in the 80s. It's not at all Apple-like and doesn't go with the iPhone well. The TomTom screenshots I've seen look nicer. But at least the GUI is functional. It does what you expect it to do. The only thing missing is a better map mode where you can use it like you use Google Maps to get an idea of the area. That's cumbersome and makes Google Maps feel like a real pro app.

Secondly, it's slow. Maybe on the 3GS it's better, but on my 3G it's by far not as snappy as it should be. The UI often lags behind user input, but also navigation itself. This was especially annoying when its driving directions lag behind your actual position and it's telling you to take a turn at a crossing you had already passed. It then notices it's behind, calculates a new route, but then because this takes too long you're again already past a turn it wants you to take. In the end you either pull aside and give it time or you have to take a best guess and hope you end up in the right direction so it can catch up. Especially downtown in heavy traffic this is not the situation you like finding yourself in. Especially if you're not familiar with the city.

I'd buy Navigon again (I bought it when it was still discounted). But I would like to see them put some effort into a nicer and brighter GUI, better map functionality, and they should really speed it up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules