Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Version Control Software For Websites?

Version Control Software For Websites?
Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2010, 09:18 PM

Hi Everybody,

I don't know so much about version control. In the companies I've worked at, we've had monolith systems attached to the server and all that over-my-head Apache stuff.

All I want is a decently simple "distributed" version control for this one website my company does work for where a portion of their website is static HTML and CSS that a couple of people across the US work on.

I Googled it of course but it's no help as it looks like people share code for big projects like Linux and stuff but all I want to know is if a .html file has been updated or not and for it to sync with my local version!

Thanks all, you're all kickass mofos!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2010, 12:29 AM

Git. I live and breath Git with all of my websites, it is wonderful!

It is also very useful for working with others, and for pushing/pulling changes between servers.

bstone
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
Thanks all, you're all kickass mofos!

I have only ever wanted to be complimented like this. You have made me so happy!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2010, 02:52 AM

If we're mofos how come you didn't wish us a happy mother's day?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 11, 2010, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If we're mofos how come you didn't wish us a happy mother's day?
I'm not sure you understand what mofo is short for.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2010, 04:42 AM

I think the brilliance of my joke went over your head

The word "mother" is in mofo.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 05:24 AM

You did seem to confuse the meaning of mofo, Besson. Literally, as mofo's he would have had to congratulate the people we're fornicating with, but not us. Cute joke idea, just didn't work this time around.

OreoCookie
May 11, 2010, 06:30 AM

I also use git and love it. It's easy to use, it's easy to duplicate, push to and pull from repositories. And merging is easy.

A simple workflow for what you do could look like this:
(1) Have a copy of the repository on your harddrive. Work on it. If you want, you can have a working branch and a master branch.
(2) You can merge the working branch with the master branch if you think the material is sufficiently mature. (E. g. when you fiddle with the css file, this may make more sense if you do that on a separate branch.)
(3) Push changes you want to publish onto your server.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2010, 07:45 AM

I've never used Git, but will look into it. We use Subversion at work for lighter projects and it works fine.

We also use ClearCase but it's like using a jackhammer to push in a thumbtack. It also has no Mac support

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

OreoCookie
May 11, 2010, 11:47 AM

Git is much easier to use than subversion (I have used subversion for a few months, then switched to git). To create a new repository, you just have to navigate to the relevant directory, type `git init' and then start adding files you want to track via `git add [file name].' Then, of course, you need to do a first commit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2010, 12:09 PM

Yeah, creating to GIt repos couldn't be easier, branching is much easier and stressed far more, and merging works better for most people. A lot of people like using Git with Github, which gives you a nice offsite backup (if you don't mind the potential privacy concerns).

Git was written by Linus Torvalds, so as you can imagine it's pretty darn good code.

andi*pandi
May 11, 2010, 12:16 PM

We use Windows Virtual Source Safe. Blah.

The software works fine I guess, but it's clunky.

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2010, 03:07 PM

I'll look into Git as I like the branching work flow concept. Often the contributors do different things.

Thanks for the good tips.

Also, mofo is my FAVORITE curse word ever. Love the discussion on its usage.

OreoCookie
May 11, 2010, 04:35 PM

If you have many contributors, you'll love it. It's designed to be decentralized, so everyone is messing with his/her own version. And then they push things when they think they're ready to be shared.

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2010, 07:16 PM

I'll throw in my vote for git. I use git + capistrano + github to deploy some ruby websites, even one drupal site *shudder*

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 11, 2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
Also, mofo is my FAVORITE curse word ever. Love the discussion on its usage.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 12:15 AM

Just use svn (subversion). I have it installed on my Mac. I think it's installed with the OS X development tools.

I use it with Coda, which has built-in support for svn.

There are multiple software to manage the repository and working copies, free and paid one. svnX for free. Versions and Cornerstone for paid software.

I think cornerstone is pretty awesome. Quite intuitive interface and a cool timeline feature. Too bad I don't feel like paying $59 for it now. I already pay $79 for Coda and it's sufficient for now along with the free svnX and Apple's filemerge. Yes, I'm cheap.

Cornerstone:

http://www.zennaware.com/cornerstone/

Also heard lots of good things about Git. Haven't really used it myself.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2010, 12:54 AM

Subversion is a complete PITA, I struggled with it for a long while off and on until I used Git, I haven't looked back since.

Read up on the differences between the centralized and decentralized model for starters, but also note that Git makes creating and copying repositories so much easier, does not litter .svn directories in each directory (which, when deleted, corrupt the SVN metadata for that project), merging is less problematic, Git branches are great, doing something like changing a file to a symlink or vice versa in Git doesn't create headaches, you can commit individual files in GIt without having to commit all of your other changes, you can use Github with Git, Git is easier to use, and Git allows easy setup of remote branches as well for collaboration.

Git is way better than SVN.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2010, 10:05 AM

subversion is confusing and is a PITA if you are messing with merging and vendor drops.

But for basic version tracking, it's sufficient.

The .svn directories do get on my nerves. Have to ignore those directories when uploading using Transmit.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2010, 12:09 PM

Git is awesome, especially if you're working on an open-source project or with a large, generally independent group of people. For smaller, more closely-knit groups—especially where there's a more top-down hierarchy, i.e. at work—I personally tend to prefer Mercurial.

Forum Links
Forum Rules