Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > getting a powerbook 190cs to work with a projector

getting a powerbook 190cs to work with a projector
austeros
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 06:40 PM

hey-

i need to display a powerpoint presentation for a class, only my instructor is not making a computer availible for us. I have an old 190cs running 8.1 with quicktime 4 that will display my presentation (made in powerpointX, saved as a .mov) but i am not so sure that i can connect to the projector (which she is providing)

so i guess what i am asking is if i buy one of the old video boards, will that work? i am looking at this one

Video Board for Powerbook 190

and if it does, any idea how hard of an install it will be?
thanks

There's someone in my head but its not me...

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 09:58 PM

According to everymac.comhttp://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/stats/mac_powerbook190cs_66.html
It needs an upgrade board to do external video. That sure looks like the board- so I'd go for it.

I'm not qualified to comment on the ease of the install. I'd ask if it comes with instructions before buying.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 12:13 AM

Ask a friend with a portable to borrow their computer. Wouldn't a 190cs be terribly slow.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 12:19 AM

yes its slow (33mhz 68k ), but then again i just need it to show a simple powerpoint slideshow in quicktime, so speed isn't an issue. i could probably barrow a friends ibook, but i would rather not, especially if this is possible.

does support for external monitors imply support for projectors?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 03:29 AM

Yes. I'm assuming the projector connects to the machine via a VGA cable.

austeros  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 07:36 AM

thanks, just wanted to check. $10 (for the card) isnt a lot, but it is a pizza... and these things are important to a college student

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2002, 04:47 AM

The video out board you are looking will probably use the old Apple DB-15 connector, different from normal PC video which is an HDB-15 connector. Unless the projector has a spot for classic Mac video, you will need a dongle to convert from DB-15 and the Mac video synch to an HDB-15 and PC video synch. Keep this in mind.

Good luck. I'm surprised your university does not have laptops for check-out for classroom presentations. Mine does, they are old and gheto, but they work with the classroom projection system and if they don't work, you can call somebody and they will come make it work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules