Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow leopard: Release

Snow leopard: Release (Page 19)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2009, 03:25 PM

Thank god.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
I just wish there were one standard. But I also wish there were one country with one culture just to make things simple.

You're funny.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
I just wish there were one standard. But I also wish there were one country with one culture just to make things simple. But that ain't gonna happen. Ever.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2009, 06:37 PM

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go 'round and 'round.

AppleGirl1990  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2009, 07:21 AM

Time to call you suckers out. Back on April 12th, 2009 (in this thread), i said, "SL is suppose to be a total re-write of the OS and apps to support 64bit and multiple-cores. As with any re-write, it will have bugs as it's new and untested. So since SL is being marketed as a more stable OS, doesn't that contradict itself and what it shall become? Inherently, it will have more problems than the current OS which has had 6 updates to dates."

By now you realize that Snow Leopard does have bugs. It's not the super stable, non-conflicting software you mocked me for. It has issues and you denied that it would.

I'm calling out the following people: Chuckit, Turtle777, CharlesS

I TOLD YOU SO!
MAC PRO: Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5400 processors
ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of GDDR5 memory
1600MHz, 64-bit dual independent frontside bus
16 Gigs (4x4) of 800MHz DDR2 memory

JellyBeen
Senior User
Sep 16, 2009, 07:36 AM

Oh my.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by AppleGirl1990 View Post
Time to call you suckers out. Back on April 12th, 2009 (in this thread), i said, "SL is suppose to be a total re-write of the OS and apps to support 64bit and multiple-cores. As with any re-write, it will have bugs as it's new and untested. So since SL is being marketed as a more stable OS, doesn't that contradict itself and what it shall become? Inherently, it will have more problems than the current OS which has had 6 updates to dates."

By now you realize that Snow Leopard does have bugs. It's not the super stable, non-conflicting software you mocked me for. It has issues and you denied that it would.

I TOLD YOU SO!
Where are the killer new features, AppleGirl?

(also, I think the Snow Leopard upgrade is the most trouble-free major upgrade I've ever seen - in twenty years as a Mac user)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 11:39 AM

I TOLD YOU SO!
I never said Snow Leopard would be bug-free — no software is. I still say it isn't the hot mess you made it out to be.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2009, 01:05 PM

I'm sure it's not 100% bug-free, but Snow Leopard is far more stable than Leopard ever was. The only noticeable bugs I've found so far in the actual OS (rather than in the installer) have been extremely minor.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2009, 02:16 PM

I TOLD YOU SO!
I'm still waiting on Snow Leopard to be all you made it out to be.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2009, 03:17 PM

I've discovered that it rarely crashes, but when it does, it really crashes.

Safari went down first, then Finder, then Word. After 10 minutes of doing nothing, it fixed itself.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2009, 04:09 PM

I've actually had my SL-running MBP mysteriously get slower recently. Not using a lot of hard drive space (around 40GB free), yet with nothing running, apps like Safari and Xcode just crawl along. I'm wondering if it's because I'm using the 10A432 prerelease build (upgraded to 10.6.1) instead of the boxed disk, even though they're the same build number. Can anyone else weigh in on this? Anyone with similar experience? It's getting to the point where I'm just going to wipe and reinstall, which might also clear out any crufty extensions I've got laying around.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
I'm wondering if it's because I'm using the 10A432 prerelease build (upgraded to 10.6.1) instead of the boxed disk, even though they're the same build number.
No. They are identical.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2009, 06:13 PM

Even though they were the same thing, I still did an install from the disc the day I got it.

Just a thing I have.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 06:14 PM

Clears out the debug code, I hear.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2009, 06:19 PM

Hahaha... yeah. You got it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2009, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I've only got one question: can I change the full-screen QuickLook keyboard shortcut from opt-cmd-Y to something sane? Like cmd-space or opt-space?
Instead of pressing just the Space bar to enter Quick Look, press Option-Space bar to display the selected document in full-screen Quick Look, expanding the preview and hiding everything else that would otherwise remain visible.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2009, 07:04 AM

ooo.

nice.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Instead of pressing just the Space bar to enter Quick Look, press Option-Space bar to display the selected document in full-screen Quick Look, expanding the preview and hiding everything else that would otherwise remain visible.
Thank heavens!

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2009, 02:52 PM

I TOLD YOU SO!
I believe you also told me it would have ponies and rainbows, and it would love me like no one ever has loved me... I really don't see that either...

Btw it's really not that buggy at all, it fixed a few bugs I had. In general it's a great release. I don't see why you feel a need to pretend that it's some sort of mess when it really isn't. And it wasn't a total rewrite, it was as has been said a million times, a whole bunch of tweaks and fixes.

mackandproud
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2009, 01:29 AM

Who engages in flame wars about an operating system?

Anyway, SL is so nice. My brother printer operated right out of the gate even without updated drivers. When the drivers were updated, the printing was so fast, the printer began whirring and stirring as soon as I clicked print. ZERO delay. That's astonishing.

chirpy22
Oct 3, 2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Where are the killer new features, AppleGirl?

(also, I think the Snow Leopard upgrade is the most trouble-free major upgrade I've ever seen - in twenty years as a Mac user)
Mac OS 9.x was THE most rock solid OS of all time.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by chirpy22 View Post
Mac OS 9.x was THE most rock solid OS of all time.
So solid that a single app could crash the entire system. And remember ConflictCatcher?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2009, 03:35 PM

It's gotta be sarcasm.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2009, 04:40 PM

I'd hope so.

6.0.7 and 8.1 were WAY more stable than *any* iteration of OS 9 (other than Classic, which actually ran better in some respects, in my experience, than 9.2.2 did).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2009, 05:00 PM

I never had 6.0.7, but 6.0.5 and 6.0.8 always did run great. I'd put 7.6.1 in second place - that one always seemed relatively solid, as far as the classic Mac OS went (although maybe it just seemed that way, since we were all used to the horribleness of 7.5.x at that time).

chirpy22
Oct 4, 2009, 10:41 AM

At least I never had to look at a spinning beach ball for minutes at a time. And I never used ConflictCatcher, because the only extensions I had installed was Kaleidoscope and FinderPop, which were pretty solid. No, OS 9 (to be specific 9.2) hardly ever crashed on me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2009, 10:58 AM

You never printed anything. That would bring the spinning wristwatch up until the print job was completed.

You also never did anything taxing with it, apparently - like opening Internet Exploder. That would reliably crash the system after a certain time.

I also must admit my confusion - the only times I *ever* see the spinning beach ball are when the system tries to access a hard drive that isn't spun up, or when an application freezes (usually Safari when the Flash Player shits itself).

I don't think I've had a crash since last spring or so.

P
Oct 4, 2009, 12:32 PM

The most rock solid version of the Mac OS was System 7.1 with System Update 3.0 - on a 68k Mac, that is. It only ever crashed when I used Resedit to make the Apple menu blue. Literally.

The earlier versions of the OS, before 6.0, were hacky things with incompatibility issues. They did work if used a tested configuration, but they did bomb every now and then, and apps broke with every update. 6.0 was a big step forward, and the patches generally improved things. 6.0.7 was actually the one I liked the least - it backported Truetype support from System 7, which had a few bugs. 6.0.8 cleaned that up. 7.0 had issues with disappearing folders on the desktop and wasn't really done before 7.1.

7.5.anything sucked. They almost killed Apple with that horrible instability. 7.6 I never used, but 7.6.1 I'm told worked very well. That was the first version to implement the exception handling for PPC, turning all those unrecoverable type 11 errors into recoverable type 1, 2 or 3 errors. 8.0 and 8.1 were clearly work in progress (ever tried booting with a HFS+ drive and the shift key down? That made the filenames invisible if they included any char outside 7-bit ASCII) even if 8.1 did turn out pretty stable. 8.5 cleaned it up a bit and was the fastest OS up til then, and 8.6 was the first to challenge 7.1 for the stability crown. 9.0.x was pointless, but 9.1 was actually quite good and made task switching native for the first time. 9.2.x only really worked inside Classic.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

chirpy22
Oct 4, 2009, 02:25 PM

So, I just installed Snow Leopard and guess what?...my Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer does not work anymore. So there's one problem with this update.
My Brother HL-2170W does work, though. So at least I got that goin' for me.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2009, 02:46 PM

Vandelay Industries

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The earlier versions of the OS, before 6.0, were hacky things with incompatibility issues. They did work if used a tested configuration, but they did bomb every now and then, and apps broke with every update. 6.0 was a big step forward, and the patches generally improved things. 6.0.7 was actually the one I liked the least - it backported Truetype support from System 7, which had a few bugs. 6.0.8 cleaned that up. 7.0 had issues with disappearing folders on the desktop and wasn't really done before 7.1.
Dude, 7.1 was nice, but it was not more stable than 6.0.x. And I don't think I ever noticed a single app getting broken by a Mac OS update until System 7.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
I've actually had my SL-running MBP mysteriously get slower recently. Not using a lot of hard drive space (around 40GB free), yet with nothing running, apps like Safari and Xcode just crawl along. I'm wondering if it's because I'm using the 10A432 prerelease build (upgraded to 10.6.1) instead of the boxed disk, even though they're the same build number. Can anyone else weigh in on this? Anyone with similar experience? It's getting to the point where I'm just going to wipe and reinstall, which might also clear out any crufty extensions I've got laying around.
I get some slowdowns as well, specifically with Safari and Finder... and I did the same thing as you with builds and what not.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I'm sure it's not 100% bug-free, but Snow Leopard is far more stable than Leopard ever was. The only noticeable bugs I've found so far in the actual OS (rather than in the installer) have been extremely minor.
Since installing 10.6.1 I've had not one, not two, not three, but several total system freezes, the first I've ever had since first switching to Mac back under 10.3. Hard reset = only solution. I came here looking to see if it was a known issue with Snow Leopard...

I don't know if I can blame Snow Leopard or not, but it's the only thing that's actually changed on my system. Never had any problems before. It doesn't happen with any one app in particular. Happened with iTunes just now, for example; before that, with Finder emptying the trash. Before that, in Safari. Also, Spotlight just suddenly decided to recatalogue my entire hard drive again from scratch. What's up with that??

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2009, 07:36 PM

Apple seems to think that only FrontRow and iTunes should be allowed access to the Apple Remote in Snow Leopard

Third-party applications are using hacks to get around Apple's remote control daemon. Only Apple applications are officially supported by the remote control, not third-party applications
This is very sad news for media centre developers.

chirpy22
Oct 4, 2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Thanks for that! Strangely, the Software update didn't download anything for it. I just went to Epson's site and grabbed it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2009, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by mintcake View Post
Since installing 10.6.1 I've had not one, not two, not three, but several total system freezes, the first I've ever had since first switching to Mac back under 10.3. Hard reset = only solution. I came here looking to see if it was a known issue with Snow Leopard...

I don't know if I can blame Snow Leopard or not, but it's the only thing that's actually changed on my system. Never had any problems before. It doesn't happen with any one app in particular. Happened with iTunes just now, for example; before that, with Finder emptying the trash. Before that, in Safari. Also, Spotlight just suddenly decided to recatalogue my entire hard drive again from scratch. What's up with that??
I'm willing to bet it's some incompatible extension/framework/hack.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2009, 08:45 AM

Or dying hard drive.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Or dying hard drive.
The hard drive's fine, in fact it's only a few months old having been replaced under Apple Care.

You'll just have to take my word for it when I say that it's not a hack or some dodgy extension either. Certainly not to my knowledge.

And apparently it's not just me...

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2009, 10:33 AM

The hard drive's fine, in fact it's only a few months old having been replaced under Apple Care.

You'll just have to take my word for it when I say that it's not a hack or some dodgy extension either. Certainly not to my knowledge.

In my experience system freezes have mostly been related to video driver issues.
( Last edited by Atheist; Oct 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM. )

P
Oct 5, 2009, 10:35 AM

Then start reading logfiles (Console application is in the Applications/Utilities folder) and see if you can find any common trends in what the system was doing when the freeze happened. There are freezes in OS X still - one that plagued me was a bug in lookupd that didn't get fixed until 10.5, and eventually had a third-party solution that I found.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
In my experience system freezes have always been related to video driver issues.
Hmm... I have been experiencing some strange things recently with my display (failure to recognise my second monitor when it's plugged in, and then it thinks it's there when it isn't...) - perhaps this is related. (I'm on a 15" MPB, 2ghz Core Duo.)

I'll have a look at the log file next time it happens and try to drill down a little to see what's going on, thanks.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I also use 2012-10-11. Nobody I've dealt with has ever been confused by that, even in the good ol' US of A, and it's not restricted to the English language either.
Fwiw, this is the only date format that Windows can sort properly in Explorer which is the reason I use it myself when naming files (though I leave out the hyphens).

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2009, 07:46 PM

Back on the topic of Snow Leopard. One new feature I am not at all happy about is that I can no longer Empty trash normally when I have Empty Trash securely selected in the Finder preferences. In Leopard, if I selected Empty Trash from the Dock icon it would do a normal (non-secure) erase, but a secure one if I used command-shift-delete. Now I can only secure erase for any empty trash action. Would it have been that hard for them to let me choose which option I wanted at the point of emptying rather than making it an all or nothing situation? It's tedious having to either wait forever for several thousand files delete securely when I didn't need them to, or tedious to have to toggle the preference on and off again just to securely delete the few files I need it for...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2009, 07:55 PM

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2009, 09:56 PM

Is this checked?

MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2009, 09:59 PM

No. You don't need to have that checked in order to use Secure Empty Trash, as it is right there in the Finder menu regardless of that setting.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Back on the topic of Snow Leopard. One new feature I am not at all happy about is that I can no longer Empty trash normally when I have Empty Trash securely selected in the Finder preferences. In Leopard, if I selected Empty Trash from the Dock icon it would do a normal (non-secure) erase, but a secure one if I used command-shift-delete. Now I can only secure erase for any empty trash action.
That does seem to be a fixing of an inconsistency if you ask me. If you have that checked (as per 64stang's image), you would expect a secure emptying of trash no matter how you invoked it.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Back on the topic of Snow Leopard. One new feature I am not at all happy about is that I can no longer Empty trash normally when I have Empty Trash securely selected in the Finder preferences. In Leopard, if I selected Empty Trash from the Dock icon it would do a normal (non-secure) erase, but a secure one if I used command-shift-delete. Now I can only secure erase for any empty trash action. Would it have been that hard for them to let me choose which option I wanted at the point of emptying rather than making it an all or nothing situation? It's tedious having to either wait forever for several thousand files delete securely when I didn't need them to, or tedious to have to toggle the preference on and off again just to securely delete the few files I need it for...
Hold Control while selecting the Finder menu and you'll get the standard Empty Trash option or Control-Shift-Apple-Delete when the FInder pref is set to secure empty trash.
Vandelay Industries

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2009, 02:14 AM

Command-shift-delete always did a completely ordinary "Empty Trash" on my machine - since as long as I can remember.

I've never had secure emptying enabled.

JKT's description seems off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules