Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dropping (wifi) network connections

dropping (wifi) network connections
pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 10:35 PM

I have just started experiencing these issues today. After waking my computer from sleep, I found that I could not access my feeds, email, etc... because there was "no internet connection". In my menubar, I see my airport status is greyed. I tried selecting my home wifi network, and it connected, but then after 3 seconds it disconnects and says "There was an error in connecting"

[fyi: i have a d-link router since last year]

After trying to connect after 15 minutes, it connected. then after about an hour it disconnected me again. once again, after a while, it reconnects me.

the other computer connected via ethernet has no problems, so the problem is NOT the modem.

I cannot figure out if it is my MBP or is it my router? i seem to be able to connect to my neighbor's open wifi fine, but i'm not sure if it would last.

thanks for your time,
pat

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 11:59 PM

I had a very similar problem with my C2D MBP and a d-link router. I have a CD MB and it never had any problems with dropping the connection. I seem to have eliminated the problem for the most part by setting the router to G only mode (as opposed to B + G mixed). Perhaps that "fix" would work for you too...even though I have no idea how or why it fixed my problem...

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 20, 2007, 08:16 AM

This is an AirPort problem. When you wake your computer, the card doesn't always know it was asleep and doesn't automatically search for the network. This is particularly an issue with mixed B and G networks because of the differences in the way the card tracks the network, which would explain why hookem2oo7's fix worked for him.

A quick work around is to manually disconnect or turn off your AirPort card, and then reconnect/turn on the card.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

pyn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 05:43 PM

thanks, where is the preference to change from B+G to G only?

//edit// found: advanced > performance > G-only mode: set to ON]

thanks!!!

pyn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 04:17 PM

hmmm, my computer still has problems connecting...

It connects fine when I'm in the room about 1 foot away form the router, but trying to connect from my bedroom about 6 feet away and it will drop after 30-45 minutes. then trying to connect again will result in "connected" but then it keeps "getting status..." until it finally drops.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 05:26 PM

If you download iStumbler and use it to check what other Wi-Fi networks are local to you, are many of them using the same channel to broadcast? If so, try swapping to a different channel and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, try deleting your networks settings, resetting your router and setting it up from scratch again.

pyn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2007, 06:11 PM

many of them are using channel 6 (4 inc. mine) i changed it to channel 1 and tried channel 11 but no luck

i seem to be able to connect once i have disabled using WPA... hmmm

Forum Links
Forum Rules