Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Digital Recorder [MP3 format] Recommendations Please.

Digital Recorder [MP3 format] Recommendations Please.
Railroader
Banned
Jul 26, 2005, 02:58 AM

I need some recommendations. I am on the hunt for a portable digital MP3 recorder.

The features I need:
1. MP3 format
2. Line-in interface
3. Portable
4. Inexpensive
5. 90+ minutes of recording time
6. Easy to use
7. Reliable name brand company

Any recommendations are highly appreciated. TIA.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 26, 2005, 03:45 AM

I found this one. The Samsung Yepp YP-MT6Z 1GB. Anyone have any experience with it? There's no info on it at the Samsung website. Looks like it's about US$150.

Any one know if it will work with a Mac?

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 26, 2005, 06:30 AM

I found another Samsung MP3 recorder. Is Samsung the only manufacturer that includes this feature?

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 03:43 PM

did you check out the imic adapter for ipod? don't know much about it, but it records.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by memento
did you check out the imic adapter for ipod? don't know much about it, but it records.
8-bit 22 kHz mono.

No.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 26, 2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by memento
Originally Posted by analogika
8-bit 22 kHz mono.

No.
I'll check it out.

Mono is fine, but is 8-bit 22 kHz that bad? How can I hear some sample tracks at that encoding?

Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 06:07 PM

Check this post over at TapersSection.com, it has a list of all available digital recorders and their features:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35002.0

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
I need some recommendations. I am on the hunt for a portable digital MP3 recorder.

The features I need:
1. MP3 format
2. Line-in interface
3. Portable
4. Inexpensive
5. 90+ minutes of recording time
6. Easy to use
7. Reliable name brand company

Any recommendations are highly appreciated. TIA.
Just curious, are you thinking abouit podcasting?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 03:15 AM

I'll check it out.

Mono is fine, but is 8-bit 22 kHz that bad? How can I hear some sample tracks at that encoding?
Edit: All audio links on the page I posted are dead.

I don't know how long you've been using Macs, but the old System 7 .snd files were 8-bit 22 kHz mono, mostly.

Google "8 bit 22 kHz" and you should find a number of sound samples.
( Last edited by analogika; Jul 27, 2005 at 03:47 AM. )

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Just curious, are you thinking abouit podcasting?
No, it would be for recording public speakers and public events.

Possibly recording radio shows for archiving.

I'm not much for listening to podcasts, let alone making them.
( Last edited by Railroader; Jul 27, 2005 at 03:28 AM. )

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 03:25 AM

Excellent!

I am at work right now, with no speakers on this computer. I'll check it out later tonight when I am at home.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by
Check this post over at TapersSection.com, it has a list of all available digital recorders and their features:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=35002.0
Very nice list. I will be checking them out.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 03:47 AM

No, it would be for recording public speakers and public events.

Possibly recording radio shows for archiving.

If you want to record ANY AUDIO that your computer will play (cd/dvd, mp3's, live365 radio or any webradio, movie audio, recordings you make with your computer or signals you send through your computer and etc...) you should check out Wire Tap Pro. It is marvelous; really simple to use and inexpensive. Around $25.00US.

MacNN poster, moki has something to do with the company (Ambrosia software) that sells it.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 03:51 AM

If you want to record ANY AUDIO that your computer will play (cd/dvd, mp3's, live365 radio or any webradio, movie audio, recordings you make with your computer or signals you send through your computer and etc...) you should check out Wire Tap Pro. It is marvelous; really simple to use and inexpensive. Around $25.00US.

MacNN poster, moki has something to do with the company (Ambrosia software) that sells it.
It would be for times when a computer would be cumbersome or unavailable.

But thanks for the tip!

I have Amadeus II already and it does what you suggest. I have used it to convert cassette tapes to MP3s to CDs.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 03:55 AM

Excellent!

I am at work right now, with no speakers on this computer. I'll check it out later tonight when I am at home.
Unfortunately they are all gone..."NOT FOUND."

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 03:56 AM

It would be for times when a computer would be cumbersome or unavailable.

But thanks for the tip!

I have Amadeus II already and it does what you suggest. I have used it to convert cassette tapes to MP3s to CDs.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 03:57 AM

Yeah, sorry...I edited my psot above.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 03:58 AM

ARG! Checked it out. GONE!

Oh -Spheric Harlot... You got some 'splainin' ta do!

EDIT: name change
( Last edited by Railroader; Jul 27, 2005 at 07:55 PM. )

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 04:00 AM

I don't know how long you've been using Macs, but the old System 7 .snd files were 8-bit 22 kHz mono, mostly.

I started using Macs Aug. 15th 1998. System 8.

Will do.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 04:38 AM

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...ourway-lx.aspx

Not sure if this will work for ya, but you might wanna check it out.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2005, 05:41 AM

ARG! Checked it out. GONE!

Oh Sherwin... You got some 'splainin' ta do!
What up?

OK... Best way of figuring what a 22K 8 bit mono file sounds like is to pop a CD into your Mac. Go to preferences/import in iTunes and set it to WAV/AIFF, 22.050 KHz, mono, 8-bit.

As for cost-effective MP3 recorders, sorry I've no idea - I've been using DAT portables since before MP3 was invented.

A few guys I know have Minidisc portables, which sound OK and could be a good option. Maybe check out something like the Sony MZ-NH700S (which has a line input and microphone input- very useful for conference/speech recording).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
What up?

OK... Best way of figuring what a 22K 8 bit mono file sounds like is to pop a CD into your Mac. Go to preferences/import in iTunes and set it to WAV/AIFF, 22.050 KHz, mono, 8-bit.

As for cost-effective MP3 recorders, sorry I've no idea - I've been using DAT portables since before MP3 was invented.

A few guys I know have Minidisc portables, which sound OK and could be a good option. Maybe check out something like the Sony MZ-NH700S (which has a line input and microphone input- very useful for conference/speech recording).
Excellent info! Thanks, I'll check it out.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 06:24 AM

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-r...ourway-lx.aspx

Not sure if this will work for ya, but you might wanna check it out.
You have any experience with that. Or Pogo products. I've never seen them before.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 07:09 PM

You have any experience with that. Or Pogo products. I've never seen them before.
No and no. But I can tell you they are 100% top notch quality and I'll bet you a dollar to your donut that it will be as satisfactory a purchase and ownership experience as there can be.

WHY do I make this bold statement even though I have no personal knowledge of the product or manufacturer?

Because it is sold by the C.Crane Co.

They are a looooooooooooooooong time advertiser on the Art Bell radio show and I have bought things from C. Crane and they were top notch and everything C.Crane sells is the best example of that type of item. And when you buy from CCrane they have a 30 day refund policy and are generous in their dealings with customers.

They have grown from being a small family owned company off in sleepy little Fortuna, CA to now being a major catalog marketer selling millions of $$ of electronic gear per year. Their tech staff even invents new products where a niche exists in the marketplace.

I have EVERY confidence that you will be COMPLETELY satisfied with ANYTHING you EVER buy from them.

They are the gold standard for catalog/online retailers as far as I'm concerned.

Give em a try and you'll see what I mean.

10 's

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 07:54 PM

What up?
Actually, I meant -Spheric Harlot. My only excuse is that it was late into the morning during my 3rd shift last night at work.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 08:18 PM

I did this. Eye opening. CRAPPY! No good. I used a Celestial Navigations spoken word CD that I have. Sounded like bad AM radio for voice and music was horrendous.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 27, 2005, 08:19 PM

I found a good page with samples here.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2005, 08:39 PM

Actually, I meant -Spheric Harlot. My only excuse is that it was late into the morning during my 3rd shift last night at work.
No worries.

It's not like Spheric remembers how to use modern digital technology like iTunes or anything anyways.
(winks at Spheric)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2005, 08:42 PM

I did this. Eye opening. CRAPPY! No good. I used a Celestial Navigations spoken word CD that I have. Sounded like bad AM radio for voice and music was horrendous.
Yeah. Knew you'd like it.

I've had time to have a look at that Sony minidisc thing I mentioned earlier. It'll do you fine as long as you can find a similar model over there (I since discovered that the model I quoted was a Euro/Jap-only model).

Edit: Equivalent US model is MZ-RH910. $199.95 from Sony, cheaper from elsewhere.

Note: May not be able to connect digitally to your Mac. it has a USB but I don't know if it's software compatible. There's always an analogue line out if you wanted to transfer stuff off it that way.

Edit 2: Probably not a good idea. Not really Mac compatible. I guess Sony want folks to buy a Vaio too.
( Last edited by Doofy; Jul 27, 2005 at 09:11 PM. )

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 11:30 PM

http://www.pogoproducts.com/ryw_lx.html
http://www.pogoproducts.com/

PoGo! Products is proud to announce it has Won the "2004 PC World Next Gear Award" for Radio YourWay and "2005 NEWSMAKERS Award" @ ShowStoppers for mediaNow!

Only Available Here! The 512MB Version allows up to 34 hours of radio recording with its built-in 512MB internal memory. Record any AM/FM broadcast in a digital format with ease! PC/MAC compatible! Starts at only $199.99. As seen on ABC news.

Radio YourWay LX Manual

Features: Portable AM/FM Radio Recorder.

On-the-fly or scheduled recording. Enjoy unattended recording of your favorite AM or FM radiobroadcasts.

10 Timer Recording Pre-Sets

Plays MP3, RVF or WMA Files

128MB Internal Memory

Up To 8.5 hrs (128MB) or 34 hrs (512MB) of Recording Time

ID3 Tag Support (view artist/file info)

Direct MP3 Encoding 32/64/96/128/192/256/Kbps

USB Mass Storage Device (Plug & Play)

Rechargeable LI-Polymer Battery

15 hrs Battery Life, 4 hrs Charging Time

SD/MMC Expansion Slot (SD up to 1G)

Dot Matrix (160*96) LCD Screen with Backlight

Built-in Line/Mic-in

Built-in Internal Speaker

Frequency Cover Range: FM 87.50MHz-108MHz,
AM 530kHz-1710kHz

Built-in Internal Microphone

Firmware Upgradeable

S/N Ratio >85dB

Dimensions: 2.36” (W) X 3.93” (H) X 0.78” (D)

Approximate Weight: 3 ounces

Included Accessories:

Stereo Earphones

USB Cable

FM Cable

Line-In Cable

AC Adapter

User Manual

System Requirements

Pentium MMX or higher

Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP

MAC OS X or Higher,

20MB Hard Drive Space

Available USB Port
( Last edited by mojo2; Jul 27, 2005 at 11:45 PM. )

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 28, 2005, 06:27 AM

http://www.pogoproducts.com/ryw_lx.html
http://www.pogoproducts.com/

PoGo! Products is proud to announce it has Won the "2004 PC World Next Gear Award" for Radio YourWay and "2005 NEWSMAKERS Award" @ ShowStoppers for mediaNow!

Only Available Here! The 512MB Version allows up to 34 hours of radio recording with its built-in 512MB internal memory. Record any AM/FM broadcast in a digital format with ease! PC/MAC compatible! Starts at only $199.99. As seen on ABC news.
This looks like it might be it.

Anyone have any experience with pogo or this product in particular?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 28, 2005, 08:48 AM

wrong thread... (I moved it)

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 19, 2005, 08:59 AM

Just ordered the Pogo RYW MP3 player/recorder.

Should be here in a couple days. I'll let you know how it works.

http://www.pogoproducts.com/radioyourway.html

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 26, 2005, 04:13 AM

Here's my attempt of a review.

It arrived. Mixed feelings about it.

DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU USE OS X. They claim OS X compatible, but in a very limited sense. I did not even try to use it with a Windows computer. It did come with a CD-ROM of Windows software, but it said nothing was needed for OS X use (WRONG).

RECORDING:
It records beautifully. And this is the only reason I bought it. But only from a line in source. The files are easily accessible as the unit acts like a hard drive when you plug it into a USB port. The rest of this review is for those who are thinking of buying it for anything other than that. From the radio it has a very annoying glitch where if a station is coming in clear, the moment you push the recrd button the station signal quality drops about 50%. The built in mic is cheap and the quality is bad. The files have ungodly long file names and I have yet to figure out it's naming structure.

RADIO:
FM Reception is so-so. I'd say just slightly below average. AM reception is unacceptable.

MP3:
The unit is NOT iTunes compatible. AAC files will not work. The unit acts like a HD when plugged into a USB port and comes up as a mountable drive. You simply drag files onto it from the finder. You can use any directory structure you want. But, I had very weird results with this. All of the files would transfer, but only about half of them would play. On the LCD screen ALL of the files would have strange characters in their song titles but the weirder the added characters, the less likely the file would play. Another unacceptable glitch if you bought this to play MP3 files and use OS X.

GUI:
An engineer who designs bad electrical circuitry designed the GUI. He had to of. It is HORRIBLE!!! Very unintuitive.

BUILD QUALITY:
The unit felt solid and was well built. An obvious copy of the appearance of an iPod. But it was 100X more difficult to use.

SOUND QUALITY:
AWESOME. I heard things in songs I had never heard before. The included ear buds were unconfortable and lacked mid-rang and completely absent of bass. Hooked up through a FM modulator brought surprisingly good results (on the MP3s that would play).

INCONCLUSION:
All in all though, I bought this to record and create MP3 files from a line-in source and it does this task admirably. For that reason only I am going to keep it. Otherwise it would be on an Airborne Express truck back to Pogo.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2005, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the heads-up RR.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2005, 09:17 AM

I feel badly about recommending it so highly only to have it disappoint so greatly.

Sorry.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 12, 2005, 12:56 AM

VERY LATE UPDATE: I returned it. Had to pay a 10% restocking fee and shipping costs to get my money back. We are using an iMac slot loading Graphite model to do our recording now. A person donated it and it works exactly as we need it to.

I LOVE podcasts now.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 05:37 AM

VERY LATE UPDATE: I returned it. Had to pay a 10% restocking fee and shipping costs to get my money back. We are using an iMac slot loading Graphite model to do our recording now. A person donated it and it works exactly as we need it to.

I LOVE podcasts now.
Did you buy it from CCraneCo.? (I'm STILL feeling badly about this, btw. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2005, 05:40 AM

if you have a 3G ipod they will record in 96khz 16bit stereo if you install linux

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 12, 2005, 08:55 AM

Did you buy it from CCraneCo.? (I'm STILL feeling badly about this, btw. )
I bought it directly from Pogo. Skipped the middle man. I probably wouldn't have had to pay the 10% restocking fee if I had went with CCraneCO.

Don't feel bad. Seriously, I didn't buy it completely from your endorsement. Plus you admitted you had never used it or anything from Pogo.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Oct 12, 2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde
if you have a 3G ipod they will record in 96khz 16bit stereo if you install linux
I don't like linux. I have installed it a half dozen times and have always been disappointed.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 09:02 AM

I bought it directly from Pogo. Skipped the middle man. I probably wouldn't have had to pay the 10% restocking fee if I had went with CCraneCO.

Don't feel bad. Seriously, I didn't buy it completely from your endorsement. Plus you admitted you had never used it or anything from Pogo.
That's more gracious than I might have been.

Speaking figuratively, I 'owe' you "one" Or, maybe half of "one?"

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 06:40 AM

No, I mean if you install linux _on_ the ipod. www.ipodlinux.com

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde
No, I mean if you install linux _on_ the ipod. www.ipodlinux.com
That leads off to some web space seller in Egland with a rather feminene design.. am I right men?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
That leads off to some web space seller in Egland with a rather feminene design.. am I right men?
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6422/Yes.wav

Forum Links
Forum Rules