Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 iBook 800Mhz Kernel panic when used in clamshell mode

G4 iBook 800Mhz Kernel panic when used in clamshell mode
rtorr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 11:04 AM

If the iBook is kept open it works, if the iBook is closed and the correct procedure is followed to use an external monitor, close iBook-attach keyboard mouse- monitor- press a key on the keyboard or mouse.
Nothing appears on the external monitor and the iBook stays asleep, on opening the iBook it kernel panics.
Is there a solution (video card driver/firmware)?

P.S this is in Mirroring mode.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 12:24 PM

One way to do what you want is to download Screen Spanning Doctor software from this site: http://macparts.de/ibook/. This will allow spanning, and will enable clamshell mode. I've used it with my 800Mhz iBook G4 and it works great.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 11:43 PM

Be advised your iBook vents heat via the keyboard (as well as a few other places). So using your iBook long term can cause heat related damaged to your internal display. I used the same firmware to get extended desktop. If you have an external monitor I say use the firmware flash to get extended desktop and then use both displays
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

rtorr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 07:27 AM

This is a work laptop I do not want to apply the spanning hack too (just in case) anyhow I do not need spanning capability, mirroing will be just fine, I just want to do this with the iBook closed.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by rtorr:
This is a work laptop I do not want to apply the spanning hack too (just in case) anyhow I do not need spanning capability, mirroing will be just fine, I just want to do this with the iBook closed.
So you're willing to apply a hack to run in clamshell mode, but not in spanning mode? That doesn't make sense to me.

Apple has intentionally disabled clamshell mode on the iBook out of the box. Without a hack, the iBook will not run in clamshell mode by design. So there are two options: (a) give up on clamshell mode, or (b) apply a hack. The two available hacks are (1) Screen Spanning Doctor, which enables clamshell mode as well, and (2) NoSleep, which simply makes the iBook not go to sleep when you close the lid. I'm not sure whether NoSleep has been updated to work with recent versions of OS X.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

rtorr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 10:04 AM

I think you've misunderstood me, I just want to use the iBook with an external monitor at the native screen res of the iBook, with the iBook closed as oppossed to open (mirroring as oppossed to spanning) are you saying I can do this only with the iBook open, but not closed?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2004, 11:13 AM

I think you've misunderstood me, I just want to use the iBook with an external monitor at the native screen res of the iBook, with the iBook closed as oppossed to open (mirroring as oppossed to spanning) are you saying I can do this only with the iBook open, but not closed?
Running the iBook closed will damage it's screen.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 03:28 PM

are you saying I can do this only with the iBook open, but not closed?
Yes, rtorr, that's exactly what I'm saying. Apple will not let you run the iBook with a closed lid, even if you just want to mirror. I used an iBook for the past 3 years and that limitation really bothered me. So I understand the predicament you're in.

When I upgraded my system a month ago, I made sure to choose the 12-inch PowerBook, which supports everything out of the box: mirroring with lid open or closed, clamshell with external monitor at a higher resolution, and spanning (which I'm not interested in). Of course, since the iBook is your work notebook, I imagine upgrading to a PowerBook is not an option.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

rtorr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2004, 05:14 AM

"Apple will not let you run the iBook with a closed lid, even if you just want to mirror" Thanx, I didn't know this.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 10:03 PM

the video card gets HOT when driving two monitors; overheating can cause a kernal panic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules