Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > external LCD for 12" powerbook

external LCD for 12" powerbook
wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 10:56 AM

hey guys, i'm gonna be buying a powerbook soon, but i want a modestly priced LCD to use with it while at home. can any recommend maybe a 17" LCD they've used that works with the mini-dvi on the P-book?

maybe something under 500 bucks or so...

thanks!

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 18, 2004, 11:30 AM

Hi,

I've been using an 18.1" Samsung, normal ratio TFT screen, called the SyncMaster 181T. It only cost me 400 pounds (roughly 600 dollars) a year ago, and has pretty impressive stats, incl a 500:1 contrast ratio, and very good brightness (cant remember the number, but I hardly ever use it above 40%). I have had no complaints, and the quality is pretty good(Though obviously not as good as the Apple ones - but I think Samsung do make those for Apple as well). As my rev A 12" powerbook is being replaced by one with a DVI out, I'll be happy to report if it works through the DVI socket. What I am hoping to do is sometime in the future, a cheap PC may come in handy, and so then I'll be able to plug that into the VGA, and switch between Mac and PC with the button on the front of the monitor. The other thing that I like about it, but you may not is that it has the same resolution as most 17" flat panels, so each pixel is just that little bit bigger and thus easier on the eyes.

The only down point - on the day I brought it home, it developed one dead sub-pixel, a red one, so that when the screen is white, it is a light turquoise colour, but at least it does not show when the screen is dark, so in reality you rarely notice it. There was a rumor anyhow that Samsung were going to have a no dead pixel policy, so that may have come in by now.

Anyhow, I can recommend this monitor, and unless Samsung have done anything really stupid, any of its decendents.

Hope this helps,

David

wtmcgee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 05:07 PM

awesome, i'll give those a look.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2004, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
can any recommend maybe a 17" LCD they've used that works with the mini-dvi on the P-book?
wtmcgee: I absolutely love my ViewSonic ThinEdge VP171b, which I use with my Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook. Its main advantage over other models, IMO, is that it is more adjustable and sits higher. On top of that it has 2 x VGA-in and 1 x DVI-in. I hook up my PB via DVI, my old Wintel box via VGA, and I can switch back and forth between the two.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

wtmcgee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the replies guys ... you're making the decision to go to a 12 instead of a 15 a bit easier. I'm still kind of torn but i think that's what i'm leaning toward.

Forum Links
Forum Rules