Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > AppleTV-How do I copy content to it without syncing?

AppleTV-How do I copy content to it without syncing?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2007, 12:27 PM

Now that the 160GB version of the AppleTV is out I'm interested in upgrading to that from my 40GB version. The only problem I see is how to handle the data.

I used to stream my data from my Mac but now simply sync it. I have almost 20GB of video and music files. In the future once I get the 160GB version I want to use far more video. The problem then becomes my MacBook Pro's hard drive space It is almost full.

With my iPod I'm able to simply drag files from my Mac to the iPod in addition to syncing. I'd like to be able to drag files from my Mac to the AppleTV in addition to syncing. That way I can put a lot of videos onto the 160GB hard drive even though they don't all fit on my MacBook Pro. I store a lot of them on cd's and dvd's when not being used. How do I go about doing this?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 01:23 PM

If the content stored on CDs and DVDs were in a AppleTV-friendly format, you could get away with adding them to iTunes (not copying them to iTunes Music, BTW) and syncing. Repeat for each CD/DVD you have--once the sync is complete.

I think iTunes would keep the link to the file despite the media not being available--it'll have that exclamation mark beside the name. It won't be removed from AppleTV unless you remove it from iTunes.

I have not tested this, but it should work based on my understanding of iTunes and iPod syncing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules