Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > emac

emac
TURN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 09:02 PM

do you guys think this is a good mac for my kids age 8 and 10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883104024

Cold Warrior
Aug 26, 2007, 10:01 PM

The RAM is pretty low. It'd need more to run educational games, encyclopedia software, and other stuff with any useful speed.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 10:05 PM

I agree, it needs more RAM (which you can buy on the Egg as well), but otherwise, yes, it would be a great machine for your purpose.

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 10:17 PM

That's a rather high price for an emac. Check eBay and you'll see then going for as low as $60.

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Aug 26, 2007, 10:25 PM

Hi TURN, that eMac was originally released around about May 2003 and is currently still supported by Apple.

A few years back I recall seeing these eMacs in the AppleStore and I fell in love with them. I still reckon they look and function fantastically today. There is no mention of which version of OS X is installed but the current version is Tiger and this eMac will run Tiger.

I suggest you increase the amount of RAM (memory) for running Tiger, it currently has the base amount of RAM installed and you can add up to a total of 1GB.

There were about 4 or 5 versions of the eMac released around 2002 -2005 and this particular model is around about mid-way as far as specs go, IMHO.

The asking price is fair, IMHO. It appears that Newegg are selling the item only and any possible future repair work that need done is up to you to organise with Apple. I'm not sure about the 90 day labour warranty with Apple ... probably should just check on that with Newegg, as the Mac is long out of its original warranty period.

The bottom line is what will your 8 & 10 yrs kids want to do on the eMac? If it's purely a gaming machine then I'm not entirely sure if the eMac would be the right choice ... while it can certainly play games, there would be potential issues with playing current games. Another thing to consider is the games that their friends play wouldn't necessary be compatible for the eMac if their friends are using Windows PCs. There are a lot of cross-platform games but you need to read the fine (and I really mean fine) print on the game packaging.

So, while the eMac has plenty of life left in it, it won't be the best choice for gaming only or predominantly gaming only ... It is fine for surfing the internet/emailing/word processing/iPod etc but their could be issues on the horizon on the gaming side of things ...

Hope this helps.

Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 10:27 PM

While mostly the above poster is right, just because that asking price is "fair" doesn't mean you should go for it. There are eMacs with more ram and faster processors available on eBay for half the price.

TURN  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2007, 10:36 PM

Thank you guys... yes this helps alot.

"There are eMacs with more ram and faster processors available on eBay for half the price." i will look in to this.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 01:53 AM

I have mine and it still works just fine. I would recommend upgrading the RAM to the full 1 GB if you plan on running Leopard.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Aug 27, 2007, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
While mostly the above poster is right, just because that asking price is "fair" doesn't mean you should go for it. There are eMacs with more ram and faster processors available on eBay for half the price.
When I started researching this topic in order to give an informative answer to the OP, there were no replies. When I submitted my response I noted there had been several replies given.

My "Fair Price" wasn't intended as a rebuff of your "High Price" comment.

I gave a response based on the compatability of the eMac as per the OPs needs and don't regard that I actually wrote that the computer would be suitable to that end.

Buying any electrical goods from eBay is risky and buying a computer based on saving money in the short term isn't a good recommendation.

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 11:39 AM

Every Mac I have bought from eBay is as described, and if you use PayPal, there is full protection against scamming. Plus most sellers using eBay for eMacs are warehouses with high feedback, whose job it is to package well and get good customer satisfaction.

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Aug 28, 2007, 06:32 AM

I would never outright recommend eBay to someone looking for a used Mac without outlining the pros/cons and I would definately never tell them to base their purchase on a low selling price ...

I would also never outright recommend Mac OS over Windows or Linux OSes ...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2007, 07:44 AM

Is this a discussion about an eMac or about eBay? I've been burned by eBay sellers, and the whole "eBay experience" has devolved into almost unending commercial shills, as opposed to individuals selling stuff. I'm completely turned off by the fact that eBay also does nothing about sniping and other unethical and frankly dishonest methods of cheating individual bidders. So crowing that something's "going for $60 on eBay right now" really doesn't earn points for me. Pointing out that a number of eMacs may have sold for less than the OP's potential buy is a different thing-but so would be pointing out that a number have gone on Craigslist for lower prices.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 11:27 AM

That's what I meant. They sold for $60 on eBay. And I'm not saying eBay is great, but I have never had an issue. If a user isn't a complete idiot, most of the time you won't get scammed. There are tons of warning signs.

And Max, you seem to be taking my posts as a personal attack. they aren't. I'm not saying you are wrong, and my good experiences don't invalidate yours.

I'm recommending eBay as I have had positive experiences and I have basically changed from having an eMac into having my eMac AND a 17" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo using eBay, and having no extra debt, which may not be typical results, but it is my experience and I recommend eBay for deals.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2007, 04:29 PM

Clarity is good. And not all of us are as socially adept (or experienced) as it takes to see those warning signs, so many rightly feel that eBay is like a third-world marketplace where they don't like one's nationality. (Ewwww. That one gave me a bad feeling. Been there...)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Aug 28, 2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Max, you seem to be taking my posts as a personal attack. they aren't.
No, not at all, I just didn't want to see a thread asking; "Is this eMac suitable for my 8 & 10 yr kids" get derailed by an opinion that eBay is THE place to go for cheap Macs and you can't go wrong. Buying a Mac involves a lot of research and eBay can be a source of massive dissapointment just as much as it can be a source of great satisfaction ... and that happens on so many different levels and you do need to be a little "street wise" IMO, when it comes to buying off eBay. We all have different levels of expertise/experience when it comes to eBay and it has the potential to be very stressful at times.
( Last edited by Max_Doubt_M'Wham; Aug 29, 2007 at 12:21 AM. )

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2007, 04:27 AM

Just be careful with the screen, make sure it's OK before buying. My brother's screen lasted less than 2 years before it started flickering and developing weird coloured patches on it. Apple wanted £350 to replace it! Hence his new iMac is shipping to him now.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 01:20 PM

Why not an older mini? It's not all-in-one, so if whatever display you hook up to it craps out, you can replace it more cheaply than buying a whole new computer. Plus, they take up less space and use much less electricity overall. Or, you could look at getting a used iMac or iBook. Try Craigslist if you aren't comfortable using eBay, or check out the Marketplace forum here at MacNN.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules