Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > wow! ios5 can sync to iTunes of an idle account

wow! ios5 can sync to iTunes of an idle account
kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2011, 09:54 PM

Cool, iOS5 can sync via wifi to iTunes running in a user account that is not the active account. E.g. I am logged in and syncing my phone via wifi, but then I started my wife's phone syncing and it synced to her user account which was not active on the mac. I didn't see that coming and it's a far cry from when any iPod would sync with any account willy nilly just because you plugged it in to the usb cable. Nice work apple.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2011, 06:40 AM

To clarify...her account has to be logged in and iTunes has to be running.

This is how fast user switching has always worked. Apps keep running in the account that's switched out. So as long as iTunes is running, it's going to sync just fine. The whole wireless sync has me really excited. it works well.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2011, 08:27 AM

Nice, though not really too surprising. Logged in accounts remain active even if they're not on focus. And, I suspect it's easier to do over WiFi than over cable; over cable, the computer will see the iPhone as an external device and the account on focus will want to take control of all connected USB devices. Over WiFi, all of those ownership issues can more easily be handled programmatically.

If I remember correctly, using Remote Desktop, you can even simultaneously log in to multiple accounts on a Mac.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2011, 11:38 AM

That's cool. Personally, I just love that the phone will just sync in the background so you can actually use it in the meantime instead of it being a useless brick for 5 minutes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules