Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 108)
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 01:29 PM

The one where Nintendo manufactures a console no hard core gamers have any long term interest in, then proceeds to sell boatloads.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Again, we have Luca (PS3 owner) and I (360 owner) in complete agreement.

In what twisted world are Sony and MS fans on the same side?
Actually I'm a 360 owner as well. But I have nothing against the PS3.

To be honest I don't have really much against the Wii either. I don't like it but I don't hate it. What I hate are all the crap games companies are putting out for them. I also take issue with some of Nintendo's positions. I don't like how they take the "people will buy it no matter what we do so let's be lazy" position so often. I'd say that's the main reason behind most of the Wii's limitations and problems - Nintendo has no incentive to improve it, so why bother?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 02:19 PM

I've never interpreted Nintendo's positions as lazy. More like being old fashioned and arrogant. They don't seem to enjoy advancing technology and features until they have to, controller not-withstanding.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 02:21 PM

Ahh 360 owner, nevermind then.

I like the Wii too, but I have enough time for one console, and if I only had a Wii I'd lose my mind.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 02:32 PM

Dammit Dakar, stop time-traveling!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
I think it's weird that you criticize the PS1 for introducing load times due to the slower optical media while in the same breath defending the Wii, which suffers from the same disc-induced load times as any other console. What, do you think games need to go back to cartridges?
Thanks for the "quazi-civilized" debate here. i hate it when these discussions get heated, and even more when just plain lies are used in arguments.

PS1/N64 era... i wasnt into console gaming at the time, so my experience is based off the few encounters i had in freshman/sophomore year. N64, zelda, conker, goldeneye. PS1, MSG(i think), Tomb raider. Now, the PS1 was the first console i experienced load times on.....horrendous loadtimes. obviously cd-rom speeds and bandwidth within the system were the bottlenecks.

With the latter consoles that used optical media, drive speeds were much faster, and so imo, better suited for the task. i got nothing against optical media, but storage size and cost are not the only issues with media. i love the fact that my DS has 0 load time. And i do appreciate the way developers are trying to hide load times these days.

Any console that deliver 0 load times, no installation, no patching(to force devs to have more rigorous QC), will be awesome. maybe kinda idealistic, but i just like the simple box where you put a game in and start playing.

I would never put the Wii upto the number crunching capabilities of the XB360 or the PS3. But you have to admit that as an industry, the treand is towards SSD over HDD for storage for the reasons i have mentioned.... and storage size is not the only issue at hand. While HDDs have the capacity size advantage, SSDs make up for lack of capacity with speed, reliability, durability, etc... hence we seem to have iPhones and iPodTouches and MacBookAirs(BTO) with solid state memory as opposed to HDDs.

Oh a 'happier' note .... check out the 'Nintendo Channel', im kinda astonished at the quality of the video on there. And it's a shame that sites like Gametrailers or IGn didnt create a portal for the Wii to stram videos(and ads) to. talk about missed opportunities.

Also, if anyone here hasn't tried out WiiWare, check out LostWinds.... wow. just wow.... quite possibly one of the best third party efforts on the Wii thus far (and it's only 40-50MB!!)

Cheers

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2008, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
i got nothing against optical media, but storage size and cost are not the issues with media.
Actually it was. Cartridges were more expensive to manufacture, not counting Nintendo's handy-dandy licensing fee. N64 cartirdges were regularly $10 more than PSX games, and with big game releases, I've seen as high as $30 - $40 more (thanks EB).

But you have to admit that as an industry, the treand is towards SSD over HDD for storage for the reasons i have mentioned.... and storage size is not the only issue at hand. While HDD has the capacity size advantage, SSDs make up for lack of capacity with speed, reliability, durability, etc... hence we seem to have iPhones and iPodTouches and MacBookAirs(BTO) with solid state memory as opposed to HDDs.
There's a theme to everything you mentioned: They're mobile. You'll notice good ol' desktop computers and even mainstream laptops still swear by the HDD. That's thanks to storage size as well as cost. So the industry moving towards SDD? Notsomuch. Gaming consoles: not mobile. Hence why they've made the transition to from SDD to HDD in the past two generation. We're not going back anytime soon.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 03:20 PM

Actually I'm a 360 owner as well. But I have nothing against the PS3.

To be honest I don't have really much against the Wii either. I don't like it but I don't hate it. What I hate are all the crap games companies are putting out for them. I also take issue with some of Nintendo's positions. I don't like how they take the "people will buy it no matter what we do so let's be lazy" position so often. I'd say that's the main reason behind most of the Wii's limitations and problems - Nintendo has no incentive to improve it, so why bother?
I'm in pretty much the same position. I have a 360 and PS3. Used to own a Wii but sold it due to lack of any good games. I don't particularly like nor dislike the Wii itself. It seemed like a fine console when I owned it, just hampered a bit by Nintendo's laziness/arrogance (or whatever you want to call it) with the lack of HD and storage space for my use.

What I *do* dislike are irrational attachments and blind loyalty to a video game company/system, which seems to be a common theme amongst all fanboys (not just Nintendo fanboys). That and the need to prove that one system is better than another. All the systems do things differently - it's all about the games for me. And the Wii just has none that appeal to me at all.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2008, 07:05 PM

Mobile is a platform where the speed/size/cost equation adds up at the moment. Once that is closer to HDDs you'll see that happening for desktop/non-mobile computing as well.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

liviabush
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Jun 24, 2008, 09:32 PM

It seems that xbox360 has more games.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 06:02 AM

I think we have reached a loop again… this thread is going nowhere.

iMac13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2008, 11:52 PM

I voted PS3 and XB360.
I own both consoles, but prefer the XB360 over the PS3.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2008, 11:48 PM

Nintendo channel brings interesting statistics:

To wit: did you think people only bought Wii Play for the remote? If so, you're wrong. The Nintendo Channel reports that its data-sharing users have played this game for more then four million hours, averaging nine hours per person. They're actually playing this game! The channel also indicates that people who own or rented Wii Play have played it an average of 9.75 times. So much for the remote theory.
The average amount of total play time, per Wii owner, for GH III is 53 hours and 28 minutes! Yeah. That's impressive. It obliterates Metroid Prime and Wii Sports combined. People put this disc in their Wii, and apparently they do not take it out. I do believe that people like playing Guitar Hero. It is proven.
News: Nintendo Channel Reveals Hard Truths About Wii Play, Boom Blox, More

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Don't be a ****, and then don't be a fanboy (and I mean that very sincerely). I'm getting kinda sick of constantly reading what you call "facts" over and over again.
How many times do we have to tell Hawkeye to not be a fanboy before he realizes just how stupid his arguments are?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the "quazi-civilized" debate here. i hate it when these discussions get heated, and even more when just plain lies are used in arguments.

PS1/N64 era... i wasnt into console gaming at the time, so my experience is based off the few encounters i had in freshman/sophomore year. N64, zelda, conker, goldeneye. PS1, MSG(i think), Tomb raider. Now, the PS1 was the first console i experienced load times on.....horrendous loadtimes. obviously cd-rom speeds and bandwidth within the system were the bottlenecks.

With the latter consoles that used optical media, drive speeds were much faster, and so imo, better suited for the task. i got nothing against optical media, but storage size and cost are not the only issues with media. i love the fact that my DS has 0 load time. And i do appreciate the way developers are trying to hide load times these days.
Poor load times were also due to developers not optimizing where data was on the disc. If you start putting data on the disc willy-nilly, you're going to get poor load times. Crash Bandicoot had very good load times. FF VII had very good load times.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 02:56 PM

Just thought i'd post this as an example of why i appreciate Nintendo and the innovation it brings:

These are screens from the upcoming 'Life'-thing on the PS3, which combines news and weather updates straight to your PS3 console which came out in 2006.

The two following shots are from the news and weather channel on the Nintendo Wii(2006).

A pretty bizzare feature to copy/steal, but i suspect we will see a lot more of it in the coming month. Innovation rules. Photo copiers suck.

Cheers

PS>>Source: Weather, News Feeds Coming to PlayStation 3 | Game | Life from Wired.com
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 27, 2008 at 03:03 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:00 PM

A pretty bizzare feature to copy/steal, but i suspect we will see a lot more of it in the coming month. Innovation rules. Photo copiers suck.

Cheers
So, would PS3 owners be better off if Sony ignored this feature and didn't implement it?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 03:06 PM

I like how you think that Nintendo is such an innovator for simply copying computer programs onto the Wii. They truly are amazing.

In other news, the PS3 version looks a lot better. So even if you do believe that it is a Nintendo innovation, it's easy to see that Sony is doing it even better.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
So, would PS3 owners be better off if Sony ignored this feature and didn't implement it?
It would be better for PS3 owners if Sony innovated with original ideas, instead of stealing them from Nintendo.

In fact i think it would be better for consumer everywhere to support innovative products instead of products from companies that just copy from others.

PS>>on 'copying computer programs'... maybe if Sony puts spreadsheets and quicken onto the PS3 and Nintendo copies that, then you'd have something there.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:11 PM

It would be better for PS3 owners if Sony innovated with original ideas, instead of stealing them from Nintendo.

In fact i think it would be better for consumer everywhere to support innovative products instead of products from companies that just copy from others.
You didn't answer my question.

Would PS3 owners be better off if Sony ignored this feature and didn't implement it?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:15 PM

No they wouldnt, just as Windows owners wouldnt be better off if Microsoft didnt steal all the ideas from the Mac. That unfortunate issue of ethics comes into play somewhere along the line when passing someone else's work off as your own.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 03:17 PM

All the current gen consoles added a "Home" button to the center of their controllers.
All the current gen consoles have wireless controllers as standard equipment.
All the current gen consoles have fairly extensive online functionality (Xbox 1 had this as well).

Because the Xbox 360 came out a year before the other two, I'm going to automatically assume that MS came up with all those features and the other consoles copied them.

Weather and news is not a big deal. Hardly anyone uses those features anyway. What does it matter?

And really, what does it matter which console you think is best? You sure go out of your way to bash on Sony and MS.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:20 PM

All the current gen consoles have wireless controllers as standard equipment.
Nintendo Wavebird was released in 2002 for the Nintendo GameCube.

As far as online, i think there was a modem released for the Nintendo Famicom, which came out in the '80s which also provided News and weather, etc. (a rather flimsy argument for Nintendo, but 'online' none the less).

As far as the 'home' button, sure, Microsoft can have that. shoulder buttons, d-pad, rumble and wireless.... not so much.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:25 PM

No they wouldnt
Exactly. In a market like this you need to (internally) acknowledge what the competition has that better than you and try to improve it, or at the very least, implement it. This the fundamental way all businesses work.

That unfortunate issue of ethics comes into play somewhere along the line when passing someone else's work off as your own.
I think you're reading into things. Not to mention it's not like this idea was groundbreaking and essential.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:28 PM

And really, what does it matter which console you think is best? You sure go out of your way to bash on Sony and MS.
I'll lay it on the line, i really didnt want to have anything against these companies, but its so blatantly obvious that they just steal most of their ideas from others. No company is completely innocent of this practice, but i try and consciously support those who strive to innovate instead of immitate.

it would really be great if Sony and Microsoft actually bring some innovation to gaming, instead of just relying on a price fight.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2008, 03:30 PM

Price fight? It's about games.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 03:42 PM

Nintendo Wavebird was released in 2002 for the Nintendo GameCube.

As far as online, i think there was a modem released for the Nintendo Famicom, which came out in the '80s which also provided News and weather, etc. (a rather flimsy argument for Nintendo, but 'online' none the less).

As far as the 'home' button, sure, Microsoft can have that. shoulder buttons, d-pad, rumble and wireless.... not so much.
Consoles have had wireless controllers since the Genesis/NES days. They're nothing new. Bundling them WITH the system is new for this generation, and Nintendo was not the first to do that (although I would argue that their Wavebird controller was the first wireless controller worth using).

And again, many systems have had modems before, but enabling networking *out of the box* is something that Microsoft first added with the XBox.

shamus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I've never interpreted Nintendo's positions as lazy. More like being old fashioned and arrogant. They don't seem to enjoy advancing technology and features until they have to, controller not-withstanding.
The difference between Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony in their gaming consoles is their positioning strategy. (FYI who they choose to target and how their product is placed comparative to the competitors)

Microsoft's positioning strategy is somewhat lax across the board, there is no future in the Xbox 360. It also extends to Vista, but that is another debate lets hope Windows 7 has something new (AKA something not already invented, like pretty graphics already present in Mac, if that is Vista's defining feature, its a sad day for any PC OS upgrader)

Any who, Sony has positioned the PS3 as a high end console and has, to an extent been practicing price skimming with the high price, thats what they like to do. They did the same with the PS2 until it came down in price and was avalible to the mass market. (might buy a PS3 when it AU$500 or something, not now while its AU$1000)

Nintendo, however is the real innovator. They have identified a neglected position in the current market for a NEW console (No one wants to buy a last season PS2 any more). The mass market, the every day consumer who (1) is price sensitive and (2) doesn't really care for expensive blu-ray discs and the associated technology.

Now because the gaming industry is an oligopoly we assume that Nintendo is in the market to make profits. Combine this with the price sensitive consumer and Nintendo has had to leave some features out of the console to make it profitable, like a hard drive and blu-ray capabilities. Because to have these features the price would need to be increased and then they would not be able to effectively target the price sensitive consumer market.

It is not that nintendo is old fashioned, it is that, to appeal to the price sensitive consumer they have had to leave out some features. The nintendo controller is an incredible innovation, and there is the future of gaming, which is Microsoft cannot find. And then its no wonder that Microsoft shares have dropped, even with all its other products and nintendo shares are up from $20 (Jan 07) - $71 (presently).

I wonder how you consider the Xbox 360 advanced technology in the gaming industry, or even the PS3 advanced technology for the GAMING INDUSTRY. Surely the most important aspect of the gaming industry is how the consumer interacts with the machine. Not whether it can store your music or if it can play Blu-ray discs. Therefore the controller innovation alone is better than all the innovations in the PS3 and the lack thereof in the 360.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by shamus View Post
(No one wants to buy a last season PS2 any more)
Not quite true. Obviously the PS2 isn't selling that well, but it's selling amazingly well for a console that came out 8 years ago. Last I checked they were still moving more than 100,000 units a month. Nothing compared to the Wii, but impressive nonetheless. It's half the price of the Wii despite having not gotten a price drop in more than two years. The PS2's continued success says two things: one, that there's a fairly sizable market for people who don't want to spend $250 on a console, and two, that there are many people out there who don't believe ANY of the new consoles provide enough new things to be worth it. Why upgrade when yesterday's stuff is still good? There are still games coming out for the PS2.

Originally Posted by shamus View Post
I wonder how you consider the Xbox 360 advanced technology in the gaming industry, or even the PS3 advanced technology for the GAMING INDUSTRY. Surely the most important aspect of the gaming industry is how the consumer interacts with the machine. Not whether it can store your music or if it can play Blu-ray discs. Therefore the controller innovation alone is better than all the innovations in the PS3 and the lack thereof in the 360.
In this case you're basically defining success based on what Nintendo has done. I could just as easily say that the 360 and PS3's high end graphics are a major improvement and that the Wii's poor graphics (on par with the last generation, and in many cases worse than the last gen) mean it's not "advanced technology for the gaming industry." Graphics are just one part of how the person interacts with their console. So are multimedia features. So is the controller. The most important are the games available, and the games, of course, dictate how well the controller and the graphics are used.

Like I said, you're just taking the Wii's strongest point (controller) and making the claim that if a game console has an innovative controller, that trumps any other technological advancements. Seems like a pretty weak argument to me. You can argue that any of the current consoles represent major improvements over their predecessors, just in different ways.

Besides, if you want to make that claim, would you say the Xbox was the most innovative system of the last generation? It had extensive online functionality, something neither the GameCube nor the PS2 (nor any other past game system) had. They had basic online functions but not enough to be a major feature. The Xbox also had the first built-in hard drive among consoles (and sadly the 360 has been a regression in that regard since the HD is not included with all models). And since you're claiming that the controller is the most important part of the game system, would you not agree that the Xbox and PS2 share the honor of "most innovative console" because their controllers had dual analog sticks as well as analog face buttons, features the GameCube controller lacked or implemented poorly?

I'm not saying the Wii isn't innovative, and I agree with most of the rest of your post. Nintendo made a hugely smart move in marketing the Wii to an untapped segment, and I commend them for that. They also made a pretty nifty controller, and I commend them for that as well. But you can't say that the 360 and PS3 aren't improvements over their predecessors. Like you said, they just took a different path. And while many people love the Wii, there are still millions out there who like the more serious, engrossing games offered by the 360 and PS3, games that simply are not available on the Wii.

They are simply different. Nintendo did a great job, but it doesn't mean that MS and Sony failed.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 02:26 PM

You're such an ass sometimes. Really. Nintendo didn't invent that, and your fanboy points go up eleventy billion for even thinking that.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 02:27 PM

Seriously, dude. Get therapy.

EDIT: After writing this, I wonder if you're doing this intentionally. Nobody can be so completely ignorant and blind. Nobody. Are you THAT much of a fanboy that you seriously think Nintendo invented that? All these years and I really think you either need help, or you're putting on an act.
( Last edited by starman; Jun 28, 2008 at 02:48 PM. )

slipperypeat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 05:30 PM

All the current gen consoles added a "Home" button to the center of their controllers.
The psp had a home button before Xbox 360 did.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2008, 03:25 PM

F'in finally, huh?

However, I'm not sure what you're arguing... that developers are lazy and won't make good Wii games? Because I agree.
I'm glad we agree on that. Personally, i put the blame for bad sales of 3rd-party games and poor quality, squarely on the third party developers and publishers.

CoD3 was my first FPS on the Wii and although it had PS2 visuals it's controls were the first taste of FPSs on the Wii for me. Despite the Wii's limitations graphically, i thought they could have brought CoD4 to the Wii had they actually made the decision to and invested the resources into it, but as we know that was yet another lost opportunity.

Despite COD4 not making it onto the Wii for whatever reason, it's nice to see the developers of the next CoD game (World at War) paying just as much attention to the Wii version(using the CoD4 engine.... shoehorned obviously), promising the same game across all 3 platforms.
(Source: PC World - Upcoming Games Boost Wii )

I think as the Wii's worldwide installed base approaches the installed base of the PS3+XB360 combined, we will see more of this........ so i guess it wasn't a 'technical' limitation that was keeping the games and their features from coming onto the Wii after all ?

Also..... there seems to finally be some genuine 3rd party efforts on the Wii.....
-Guitar Hero World Tour
-Call of Duty World at War
-Deadly Creatures
-deBlob
-MadWorld
-Conduit
-Mushroom Men

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 1, 2008 at 10:08 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 12:13 AM

I'm glad we agree on that. Personally, i put the blame for bad sales of 3rd-party games and poor quality, squarely on the third party developers and publishers.
Really? So what did Bloom Blox do wrong?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Two things:

1. There's so much bad 3rd party software on the Wii that when something good comes along, people are still hesitant to go for it. Boom Blox certainly doesn't look that different from the vaunted Carnival Games on the outside.

2. They released it just after Brawl and then Mario Kart came out, and just before Wii Fit (not to mention GTA IV on other platforms). With those monster releases, how could a little game like Boom Blox get noticed?

I think, over time, Boom Blox will build sales steadily and eventually do quite well. But one thing about the casual market is that it doesn't work like the hardcore gaming market. Hardcore gamers are the people who will go and buy a game on the release date because they've been following its development for months and know when it's coming out. Casual gamers often aren't aware of anything beyond what you see on the game's box. They certainly don't track new releases.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 01:23 AM

Boom Blox certainly doesn't look that different from the vaunted Carnival Games on the outside.
Weird. People who bought it apparently love Carnival Games:

Carnival Games: Did you turn your nose up at this game? Did you assume people bought it by mistake, getting hoodwinked by cute boxart into thinking it was as good as Wii Sports? If so, you may have thought that, once people got it home, they'd decide it stinks and never play it again. Oh, no no no. The Nintendo Channel reports that people playing it have logged an average of 7 hours and 44 minutes total play time across 5.6 sessions since buying (or renting) the game. That's not bad. But do compare it to the barely month-old Boom Blox numbers above. Which game would you say is proving more of a hit in households that bought it?
News: Nintendo Channel Reveals Hard Truths About Wii Play, Boom Blox, More

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 02:05 AM

Carnival Games is more of a scapegoat, actually. A game that is mediocre enough for gamers to recognize that it's bad, but not sucky enough to drive away people who can't tell the difference between mediocre games and good ones.

Let me put it another way - Boom Blox does little to distinguish itself from Ninjabread Man, whose only redeeming quality is its title. Obviously anyone who's read a game review will know that Ninjabread Man is a rotten pile of feces and that Boom Blox is at the very least a good game, but the Wii's target audience doesn't read game reviews.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 09:33 AM

The reported sales figures for that game was 60k, in one week.

But to answer your question...

Price.

Why wont I be buying it ?
-hate the style (although seeing as how the studio execs seem to think most Wii owners are under 10, i wonder why it didnt sell a lot more...funny eh ? )
-just a bunch of mini-games
-too expensive
-much better games to buy or coming out soon (and im not using metacritic for my definition of 'better')
-Havent finished SMG, Okami or Z&W yet.

As far as Wii and NDS's ability to sell software..... Of the top 30 best-selling games of May, 19 are made for Nintendo systems. Is it Nintendo's fault they invest heavily(albeit probably less than 3rd-party investments in XB360/PS3 games) into software for their own systems ? If 3rd-parties, want a piece of the Wii pie, they gotta take this system seriously and realize that quality sells, not shovelware.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 1, 2008 at 03:36 PM. )

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 09:49 AM

Hardcore gamers are the people who will go and buy a game on the release date because they've been following its development for months and know when it's coming out. Casual gamers often aren't aware of anything beyond what you see on the game's box. They certainly don't track new releases.
Very strange phenomenon for video games eh ? i mean i can think of movies, books, music i havent experienced yet, which have gotten rave reviews, etc. I end up borrowing old movies at blockbuster, or buying the DVDs years after their release. and books and music as they come along.

Either way, judging from sales of other games on the system(Wii), its sorta obvious that the software available is not the 'flash in the pants' kind, as far as sales.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jul 1, 2008 at 01:26 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 11:34 AM

Color me surprised. 64 percent of people who purchased Wii fit stopped playing it right after they bought it:
Japan: 64 Percent of Those Polled Gave Up Wii Fit

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2008, 12:48 PM

So people is either in perfect shape or maybe too lazy… ?? I bought it this week and didn't give up even when my BMI is only a notch below perfect, cause it is really fun.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2008, 01:30 PM

In my opinion, if any of Nintendo's current products can be labeled a 'fad' or a 'gimmick', it's WiiFit... hence the extremely expensive advertising campaign for this 'fancy scale'. im sure some people will like it, but i have no interest in this product at all. And to be honest, im surprised they've managed to sell so many.

Maybe it's the lack of compelling software, the cost or the fact that i need so much room to use it. but thats probably just me.

E3 is coming up, prediction time ?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 04:05 PM

That it's going to suck hard this year and pale in comparison to PAX.

I'm sure there will be some cool announcements, but ever since E3 was scaled back it's been pretty weak.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 04:32 PM

If 3rd-parties, want a piece of the Wii pie, they gotta take this system seriously and realize that quality sells, not shovelware.
Ok so what you are saying is that Bloom Box isn't a quality game even though reviews say otherwise.

You might want to read this again:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/16/bo...nly-60k-units/

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 04:34 PM

Nintendo will announce Mario and its other franchise characters in some game together.
Nintendo will announce more sequels to 20 year old games.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2008, 06:17 PM

Ok so what you are saying is that Bloom Box isn't a quality game even though reviews say otherwise.

You might want to read this again:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/16/bo...nly-60k-units/
Did you read any of the recent posts in this thread?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Color me surprised. 64 percent of people who purchased Wii fit stopped playing it right after they bought it:
Japan: 64 Percent of Those Polled Gave Up Wii Fit
Damn, if that is the case for Japan I'd hate to hear the numbers for the fat lazy west.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Jul 5, 2008 at 12:17 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2008, 12:47 PM

Nintendo will announce Mario and its other franchise characters in some game together.
Nintendo will announce more sequels to 20 year old games.
In addition, I predict several first-person shooters for the Xbox and pretty much nothing of interest to be announced for PS3.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
In addition, I predict several first-person shooters for the Xbox and pretty much nothing of interest to be announced for PS3.
I'm actually hoping for some decent 360 RPGs and something concrete about FFXIII for the PS3.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
pretty much nothing of interest to be announced for PS3.
Ya there is no hype or innovation involved with Little Big Planet. None at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules