Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New Airport 3.2 software in Software Update

New Airport 3.2 software in Software Update
mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003, 09:55 PM

When I used Software Update it showed a new (v. 3.2) 8.8 MB update for Airport. Since I don't use it, I did not install it, but others may be interested.

Here is description:

This software update provides improved AirPort wireless networking software, and is recommended for all users with an AirPort Extreme enabled computer or an AirPort Extreme base station.

New AirPort Extreme Base Station Features

This software provides support for the Wi-Fi Protected Access� (WPA) specification for the AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Extreme client. Please see AirPort help for more information on WPA. Also included in this release is v5.2 of the AirPort Extreme base station firmware. Instructions for updating the base station firmware can also be found in AirPort Help.

The AirPort Extreme base station and AirPort Extreme client are Wi-Fi Certified� for 802.11b and 802.11g interoperability.
( Last edited by mcsjgs; Oct 30, 2003 at 10:06 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2003, 10:06 PM

Thanks.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 11:42 PM

And if it can provide an internet connection that doesn't drop out all the time, Apple might get me interested in upgrading to Airport Extreme.

Anybody tried it out yet?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 30, 2003, 11:54 PM

Who needs software update when you got MacNN.

"Hello, what have we here?

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 01:04 AM

The previous airport software was VERY bad with my Linksys 802.11G card (PCI)... kept dropping constantly (only a restart would fix). I upgraded to the new airport software tonight... will see how it goes and provide feedback.

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
And if it can provide an internet connection that doesn't drop out all the time, Apple might get me interested in upgrading to Airport Extreme.

Anybody tried it out yet?

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 02:12 AM

the only problem i had was the pppoe status kept dropping from my airport menubar thingy, and sometimes i'd lose my connection, but the airport would still be getting a signal
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

TeknoTurd
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2003, 06:32 AM

I just upgraded and ran into some oh so fun problems, as seems to be the case whenever I upgrade the firmware in my Airport Extreme Base Station. OK so everything was working pretty well with 5.1.3, stable connection, never had an issue. The only problem I noticed was that wireless printing had stopped working since I upgraded to Panther, but I figured this release would remedy that. So I took the plunge and downloaded the firmware. Everything went according to plan until it restarted itself. I waited for about 5-8 mins and nothing, it wasn't being picked up at all. OK next step, try and locate it myself, I typed my SSID and password into the "Other..." option in the Airport Menu. Nothing. OK, I figure screw it, instead of troubleshooting I'll just start from scratch so I reset it. Now here I am with all the default settings on my Base Station. It now recognizes the AEBS with all the default settings, so I try and connect using Airport Admin Utility. And it doesn't like my subnet, so I change that, and like magic it works. Wow. Funny how halfway through typing this post I get the brilliant idea on how to fix it and it works, so far so good. But my wireles printing problem isn't fixed. And it said my Epson C62 was supported too, anyone else having this issue?

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 02:11 PM

Well I guess it's my duty to report that I updated two airport extreme base stations wirelessly with the new firmware update. I installed the new software on a 12" PowerBook (Rev. A) and all is well. The Airports are both set up using the Wireless Distribution System. I even tested my TiVo that is hooked up wireless with a Linksys WUSB 2.6 adapter and the signal works fine from there as well. Finally, there is a Dell laptop, connected to the network via a Linksys DSL/Cable 5-Port router, and that laptop is recieving a connection perfectly. So as you can see, it's not the most simple set up and all is working fine with the connection. I also know the connection didn't drop out all night while I was sleeping because I have BackUp backing up certain things to my iDisk at 4 AM in the morning and the Back up was successful.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 02:17 AM

I've been ignoring the last few Software Update notifications: I have an original Airport and the notes don't explicitly state that the update is backwards-transparent.

Does anyone have experience in updating with the original Airport hardware? Does everything automagically work? Do I have to do anything at all?
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 01:17 PM

Trying to use WPA-PSK authentication freezes by Belkin 54g AP. Back to WEP it is...

Forum Links
Forum Rules