Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > macmail vs. entourage: who's using which and why

macmail vs. entourage: who's using which and why
spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 09:53 AM

just wondering who's using which and why

thanks in advance

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 10:15 AM

What's Entourage?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

spalding12  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 10:21 AM

it's microsoft's (gasp!) version of mail for the mac... comes with microsoft office.... and much more sophisticated than regular macmail

greg

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
What's Entourage?
what's "macmail"?

-r.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by spalding12:
it's microsoft's (gasp!) version of mail for the mac... comes with microsoft office.... and much more sophisticated than regular macmail

greg
I used to use Entourage. Now I use Apple's Mail. It does everything that Entourage does (with iCal for calendaring and Address Book for contacts). I really like how I can use my same Address Book for email, label printing, faxing, and instant messenger. I couldn't do that with Entourage.

Also, Mail has some decent spam filtering that really works, something Entourage lacks.

Also, Mail is free, and has been improved twice in the past two years, while Entourage has been largely untouched (Except for Exchange support that doesn't work for me anyway).

I own MS Office, but with Panther's TextEdit supporting Word documents, Keynote replacing Powerpoint, and Mail replacing Entourage, the only thing I need Office for is Excel.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

spalding12  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 11:04 AM

thanks....

greg

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Also, Mail has some decent spam filtering that really works, something Entourage lacks.
I find Entourage's spam filtering to be really good. It's very rare that a message sneaks through.

I use Mail at home but Entourage at work. I just prefer having my calendar, address book and mail all in one app. Of course it's also free for me since we license the whole Office suite.

-Q-
Nov 14, 2003, 12:16 PM

I'm giving Mail a test run on my laptop right now and overall I do like it - definite improvement over previous versions. I'm still using Entourage at home and will probably wait to switch over until a few more updates to mail are made. Why? The following things happen to me regularly:
  • I get some HTML newsletters and Mail forwards HTML for shite.
  • It refuses to use my 'default' address. Supposedly if you drag an account to the top of the list, that's your default address. Rarely works. I usually have to end of changing the address to what I want after beginning a new message.
  • randomly 'forgets' passwords.

Love the way it renders HTML tho'. And the interface has really grown on me. But I would like the above things fixed before I switch full time.

I used to use Entourage for it's integration, but with the improvements to iCal and Address Book, it's become less necessary for me to use it. Plus, syncing my Bluetooth phone with my address book is just cool.

So right now I use both, but I'll eventually go to mail if they can improve those things...

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
  • It refuses to use my 'default' address. Supposedly if you drag an account to the top of the list, that's your default address. Rarely works. I usually have to end of changing the address to what I want after beginning a new message.
Mail will use the address of the last message/mailbox you had selected. That way it uses the correct address for replies and so on.

biscuit

-Q-
Nov 14, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by biscuit:
Mail will use the address of the last message/mailbox you had selected. That way it uses the correct address for replies and so on.

biscuit
That's the problem - I don't want that. I want all e-mail to come from a specific address, regardless of where it was sent to. Otherwise I have server issues at work. And yes, I've sent feedback.

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 06:05 PM

I use Entourage for the same reason another poster had: integration with a calendar, contacts, to-do list. I just don't like needing three apps to be open for me to do the same thing I could with one.

But with my new iPod serving as a PDA of sorts, I've been thinking of transitioning over to Mail. Already started using iCal for certain things, and Address Book is more up to date with my peeps than Entourage. One iCal complaint, not being able to populate birthdays from Address Book. Also, Entourage has a snooze button on alerts (I'm a big procrastinator)--can't remember if iCal has this feature...

Is backing up in Mail as easy as Entourage (copying one folder over to your backup)?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 06:55 PM

Does Entourage organize by thread like Mail?

Does Entourage open images by default in junk mail?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 07:02 AM

Mail... because I don't have Entourage.

spalding12  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Mail... because I don't have Entourage.
well, for me...
it's now:

MAIL at home... sending e-mail with ease on my airport extreme wireless network

ENTOURAGE away from home at my t-mobile hotspots (such as at Starbucks and Borders) where i can DISABLE authentication and STILL have it send my e-mail with/withouts attachments without problems. it has taken me MONTHS to figure out a way to circumvent the usualy port 25 blockage that t-mobile has at its sites (though i am sitll paying $29.95/month on a yearly contract). for SOME reason disabling the authentication on MAIL still does NOT allow me to send mail at that same t-mobile hotspot

greg

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2003, 08:49 AM

I use Apple's Mail, why I don't use Entourage?

- It is expensive.

- It is bloated.

- I don't trust any piece of Microsoft software.

spalding12  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2003, 04:33 PM

i agree about microsoft
but apple mail WON'T work to SEND e-mail at other locations
it just won't
i tried every suggestion in the book
but entourage with authentication turned OFF works fine on the road

greg

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2003, 05:02 PM

Mail all the way here.

I don't want all MS's crap gumming up a nice simple email program.

It plays nice with my 1 pop acount, 1 IMAP account, and 1 exchange account, and otherwise does everything I need it to do.
cpac

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 08:38 PM

I used to use Entourage, and I think its a better rounded mail program than Apple's Mail. But I am currently using Mail because of its spam-filter, and because I also prefer the whole iSync package which converted me from Entourage's calendar. So the seller for me was not Mail alone, but .mac/iSync.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 09:20 PM

I used to use Entourage, and I still like it. However, I've switched to Mail/Address Book/iCal because of the OS and .mac integration.


Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 09:23 PM

Oh, yeah... and the junk mail filter, too!


beijinger
Nov 15, 2003, 09:46 PM

Would love to use Mail more but it opens much more slowly than Entourage and do things slower too. It checks email boxes one at a time while Entourage hits all five of my boxes at once. When you check the activities meter you will see that Mail takes up a lot of resources, which is strange for a small email program, even on my 1.33 PB with 1G Ram. Waiting for Apple to fix up Mail to be clean, quick and functionally at least equivalent of Entourage.

juusan
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2003, 11:25 PM

I'm using entourage (which pisses me off... the whole point of getting a mac was to kiss bill gates goodbye). while I hate microsoft, mail.app and ical just don't do what I need them to do.

I'm also considering eudora or netscape mail, but I haven't really had a chance to look into them in a very long time,
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 12:54 AM

I've used entourage for a long time but I'm switching to Mail in 10.3 this week. Mail is getting much better. Entourage is probably still the better application, but the writing is on the wall. The only question was to switch now or wait for the next version. I picked now since I was reinstalling anyway.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Oh, yeah... and the junk mail filter, too!
<shameless_plug>
You might be interested in this

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=188887
</shameless_plug>

taldrich
Nov 19, 2003, 06:24 AM

Much prefer Mail - all mailboxes in one window which I haven't been able to do in Entourage (any tips?), and I like the way it interfaces with Address Book, BUT, for some reason, of my three IMAP accounts that I collect from remote mail servers, the one that I collect off a Mac mail server doesn't always pick up the mail. I get 10 messages all at once in the afternoon, say, when those messages have been trickling in all day. So it's Entourage for now.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by spalding12:
just wondering who's using which and why

thanks in advance

greg
I use mail.app to read 3 email addresses. I swicth to it from Mozillamail which was a switch from an eudora beta. I use it because it's free and does all I need for a mail application.

For one other adress I use Thunderbird 0.3 which just sucks on the Mac right now. But If I don't use it they won't make it a better application.

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 10:57 AM

I use entourage. I don't really want to deal with 3 applications when I can have just one running.

Apple should have these 3 apps in one just like entourage.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 11:12 AM

Agree with the last poster. Apple should just integrate the 3.

I've used Entourage since 10.1 because it was able to send JPEGs to Windows users correctly. Now that it's finally fixed, it's too late. My wife has learned Entourage and there's no way I will ask her to use another 3 programs when 1 will do.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Agree with the last poster. Apple should just integrate the 3.
Except that there are those (like me) who don't want to have to open a huge single app just to send an email, etc.

By keeping things separate, you can decide whether you prefer to use iCal or some other scheduling program (same with the other individual programs).
cpac

kindredspirit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 02:11 PM

Used to use Outlook Express and then Entourage. Now using Mail.

The one thing I miss in Mail is having "identities". I could set up my office "identity" to use a particular signature as a default and with Mail I have to remember to select that signature each time I send an email from that account (because I don't want my work signature to be attached to personal mail it can't be the default).

And, the separate identities made it that much easier to organize my mail. I receive mail from several accounts, both IMAP and POP and use rules to organize it in different folders so I can find what I need.

Other than that, Mail is very good app.

alpa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2003, 09:13 AM

When I bought my iBook a year ago, I tried both Entourage and Mail and have settled on Entourage. Beside that it has more features, mail, cal and contacts are all integrated.

However, I just bought an iPod last night so I am seriously considering switching to Address Book.

I might want to use both for a while. Does anyone know of an easy and reliable way to export Contacts from Entourage and import into Address Book. The only way that I know of is to drag the address from Contact to the desktop, and drag them back into Address Book. However, it is not practical, and often fails, when you have more than 1200 entries in Contact.

Has anyone wrote any script for converting a text file generated from Contact into the LDIF or vCard format that Address Book can read?

(BTW, I am on 10.2.8. If I upgrade to 10.3, would it help?)

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by alpa:
When I bought my iBook a year ago, I tried both Entourage and Mail and have settled on Entourage. Beside that it has more features, mail, cal and contacts are all integrated.

However, I just bought an iPod last night so I am seriously considering switching to Address Book.

I might want to use both for a while. Does anyone know of an easy and reliable way to export Contacts from Entourage and import into Address Book. The only way that I know of is to drag the address from Contact to the desktop, and drag them back into Address Book. However, it is not practical, and often fails, when you have more than 1200 entries in Contact.

Has anyone wrote any script for converting a text file generated from Contact into the LDIF or vCard format that Address Book can read?

(BTW, I am on 10.2.8. If I upgrade to 10.3, would it help?)
Well, for Address Book purposes it probably wouldn't change much.

Mail in 10.3 has a few new features over 10.2 -- the most important (to me) being threaded mail support, which I really like.

jimcpherson
Dec 24, 2003, 12:27 PM

I just recently switched to Mail from Entourage (I was holding out for the "Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments" feature). Interface is much more pleasing (if that sort of things important to you). But I would like to see the three apps (Mail, Address Book, iCal) rolled into one. Would make my dock tidier.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2003, 12:33 PM

I used to Use mail up until Apple released iCal, For me the junk mail filtering in Mail is one of the main reasons i use it. Entourage has NONE.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 02:52 PM

I used to use Entourage 24/7 under 10.1/2, but under Panther I've always used Mail. I do wish that Apple would integrate Mail, Address Book, and iCal into one app, but otherwise it works perfectly fine.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2003, 02:57 PM

Mail. The killer feature for me is the spam filter, which is nearly 100% accurate. Entourage, on the other hand, doesn't even HAVE a spam filter, in keeping with Microsoft's insistence on not using "new" features that every other product has used for ages (pop-up blocking and tabs in Internet Explorer, for example).

EDIT: To be fair, Entourage does technically have a spam filter. But it's really more of a token feature. It hasn't changed in years (the same as the one in Outlook Express) and it's not adaptive like all the other spam filters. Eudora, Thunderbird, and Mail all can be trained. Entourage can't.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Buck_W
Senior User
Dec 25, 2003, 01:17 AM

I used to use Entourage because of mail's inefficiency in sending attachments to PC users. (It got old having to tell everyone to ignore the "ghost" attachments.) But since that is no longer a problem, I use mail and love it.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by alpa:
http://www.google.com/search?q=entou...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

actually, there is an easier way: select all contacts in entourage, go to Contact -> Forward as vCard, and then send that message to yourself. check it with mail.app, save all attachments to some convenient place, import them into address book. voila.

i use mail.app myself, because i like address book, i don't like having a single file to store all my mailboxes, and because gpgmail is an excellent way to integrate use of gpg.

milhouse
Senior User
Dec 25, 2003, 10:05 AM

I switched from Entourage to Mail with Panther. It's simpler and has all of the features I need.

There are a few add-on bundles that really make it complete for me such as priority, hotmail access and SpamCop reporting.

Happy Holidays.

"-Dodge This"

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2003, 01:01 PM

I like Entourage, but if I wasn't a corporate user with an Exchange2003 mailbox, I wouldn't bother.

If you want a good free alternative TO Mail, try Thunderbird - http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

jimf_81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2003, 11:17 AM

Currently, I use both. I don't know which one I will end up sticking with.

If Mail/iCal/Address Book were integrated, there would be no question - Entourage would be useless.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 05:27 PM

I prefer entourage as I just think it is set up more business like, and can handle multlple email addresses with the same user name, but different domain names.

For the life of me Mail does not allow me to use any accounts that have the same "whatever@" and different domain names that run off the same mail server. So I use entourage.

I DO use mail for one email account that gets alot of spam as Mail does a nice job of filtering spam for me which of course entourage does not do at all.

IF All things were equal I would prefer Entourage just because I like the way it is set up from an aesthetic standpoint, much more professional. Mail seems a bit bubbly gum to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules