Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do you manage your windows?

How do you manage your windows?
xmacintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 12:56 PM

I put some windows in dock, minimizing it. But I like to hide some apps too.

I'd like to know how is the best way to work with windows in OS X.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by xmacintosh:

I almost never minimize windows to the dock. I generally hide apps. With 10.3, I use Expose a little (but not too often really .. still used to hiding).

With TinkerTool (and other tools), you can force hidden apps to remain visible, but transparent, in the dock. This works wonderfully for iTunes and Mail because you can control them from the dock without ever having an open window on your screen.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 23, 2003, 01:17 PM

"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2003, 01:19 PM

1) I almost never minimize windows to the Dock.
2) As I continue working the screen gets more and more cluttered with windows.
3) Until it's too much and I choose to Hide Others
4) Then I pull windows selectively from their app's Dock menu.
5) Back to step 2.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
Minimize-In-Place

My screen would be a huge mess if i used this.

but, if you can find a use for it... nice.

really tho... Expose and cmd-Tab is my fav. way of managing windows.

xmacintosh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 03:51 PM

I registered windowshade (from Unsanity), but I'm worry about use haxies in panther.

I used it to click in minimize button and automatically hide de current window.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2003, 04:51 PM

I hide those apps (Cmd + H) or minimize them (Cmd + M) to the Dock.

Don't use Expos� that much.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 06:10 PM

I never, ever minimize windows to the Dock.

I use a combination of hiding apps and using Expos�, just based on whatever is convenient at the time. And I use Command+Tab to flip between two apps, but never for more than two.

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 06:51 PM

I usually use CMD-TAB (application switcher) and CMD-H (hide application).

I'm starting to get used to using Expos� a bit.

I minimize things to the dock on very rare occasions.

EDIT: As an interesting note... My wife has just got her first computer of her own (my old iBook which we previously shared). She uses expos� all the time, and is very proficient at it. She picked it up straight away and never looked back. I guess this means, that when a person has not been conditioned to use other methods, expos� comes very easily and works very well.
( Last edited by Brass; Nov 23, 2003 at 11:21 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2003, 07:13 PM

I minimize windows I know I'll be wanting momentarily, but which would clutter up the screen. I hide apps that I know I won't be using for a while. For all other situations, Expos�.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
I usually use CMD-TAB (application switcher) and CMD-H (hide application).

I'm starting to get used to using Expos� a bit.

I minimize things to the dock on very rare occasions.
This is exactly what I do. I got so used to hiding apps in 10.0/.1/.2, I don't usually keep more than one window open at a time. Getting a little use out of Expose, especially in Elements.

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2003, 07:47 PM

command-tab to switch apps, command-` to switch windows within apps.

Starting to use expose a bit more, but it hasn't taken over yet....
cpac

asxless
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 12:20 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that most people who have posted responses in this thread say that they... "almost never", "never, ever", or "on rare occasions" use one of the principle OS X window management controls -- that little yellow button on every window -- to manage their OS X Windows!?

Seems like only yesterday that the little yellow button was being touted as the 'one true way' to manage windows in OS X. And anyone that openly pined for that _old fashioned_ window shade, etc. was summarily vilified as just another whiner who couldn't deal with change. These days, even Apple has conceded (with Expose) that the 'minimize to dock' method of window management simply doesn't work well for large numbers of windows. Not only do all the minimized windows begin to look alike, they constantly shuffle their positions with use -- DUH.

FWIW I too rarely used the little yellow button to minimize to the Dock. After nearly two decades of Mac use, I almost unconsciously manage windows by overlapping their placement/size so that some part of each window is visible and use Unsanitiy's Window Shade to reveal any lurking windows if necessary.

My bet is that once the newness/coolness wears off, Expose will be like that little yellow button on every window -- a historical artifact, infrequently used, but sooo cool to demo.

-- asxless in iLand

torifile
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
1) I almost never minimize windows to the Dock.
2) As I continue working the screen gets more and more cluttered with windows.
3) Until it's too much and I choose to Hide Others
4) Then I pull windows selectively from their app's Dock menu.
5) Back to step 2.
Ditto.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 12:50 AM

Expos�

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2003, 12:53 AM

- before 10.3 I always minimized (recently switched from windows, so its what I was used to).
- Found a virtual desktop manager for OS X which gives you 4 virtual desktops and I used that quite a bit up until 10.3
- Now in 10.3 I use expose all the time. Occasionally I will hide a window or minimize on rare occasion.

I dumped the virtual desktops now that I use expose, they're not that benificial like they were in 10.2

Cipher13
Nov 24, 2003, 03:33 AM

I only minimise Safari windows, if I'm not gonna be using that window for a loong time, but need to keep it open to remind myself of something.

I just use command-tab, and hide.

No expos�.

I'm still on Jag here, too, so I don't have that ****ed up app switcher.

Same deal on the iBook (Panther) though.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2003, 04:14 AM

The opposite of what Cipher13 said except I also use command-tab and command-h. Command-m is rarely used.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2003, 06:49 AM

I guess there is no "best way", just the way that is best for you.

I use minimise to the Dock constantly, especially in the Finder. Normally I have about 10 or more different windows in the Dock.

I use Expos� to access windows that are not minimised, i minimise windows that i don't work with but that i will need in the near future. I only hide apps that I don't need for a longer time.
I almost never use cmd-tap to switch or hide apps, i use the Dock as it is much faster.
No need to cmd-tap-tap-tap to go to an app, just one click.
Click-alt to hide the current app and click-alt-cmd to hide all apps while switching.

ambush
Banned
Nov 24, 2003, 07:55 AM

I don't use Expos�, I'm too used to Cmd-H (Hide)...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2003, 08:44 AM

I never minimize.

I only hide apps that consume too much CPU time when showing (with running progress bars et al.) or that I keep on the Dock anyway but won't be using for a while (such as Toast).

All application switching/window switching is done exclusively with Expos�.

(I usually have between ten and fifteen applications open.)

-s*

MickS
Senior User
Nov 24, 2003, 09:14 AM

I used to minimize a lot, so much that the dock was difficult to work with. Now I minimize a little but rely on Expos� a lot. I don't know I ever used to work without it, this has to be the best feature of 10.3.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 10:26 AM

Pre 10.3 I would only minimize one finder window to the dock. I'd rarely minimize any other application windows. I frequently hid applications, and used the dock as an application switcher.

In 10.3 I use expose and cmd-tab to change apps. I have the dock hidden and use it on a rare occasion. I almost never hide applications anymore.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2003, 11:13 AM

If my hands are on the keyboard, then I primarily use command-tab, command-~, and command-H to switch (I haven't got used to Expos� in this situation). If my hand is on the mouse I use a combination of Expos� and minimising to the Dock.

Like others - apps that are open but primarily in the background are generally hidden, and windows that are open but infrequently used or need "storing" for later reading are minimised to the dock.

Prior to Panther it was the same, except I used minimise to the Dock much more frequently.

My bet is that once the newness/coolness wears off, Expose will be like that little yellow button on every window -- a historical artifact, infrequently used, but sooo cool to demo.
Why? It isn't simply cool, it is also extremely quick, easy to use and highly useful too.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2003, 12:33 PM

I'm a hider. I never minimize and I never windowshaded. I have my middle mousebutton set to option-click, so when I switch off an app I opt-click either the desktop or the target app. I will use Expos� when I've got a bunch of Photoshop documents open or a lot of files open in Preview, but it's not very useful to me as long as it doesn't reveal hidden apps.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

asxless
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by JKT:
Originally posted by asxless:
My bet is that once the newness/coolness wears off, Expose will be like that little yellow button on every window -- a historical artifact, infrequently used, but sooo cool to demo
Why? It isn't simply cool, it is also extremely quick, easy to use and highly useful too.
So is the OS X Dock. But two years later the newness/coolness of managing windows in the Dock has worn off. Obviously some people still use the little yellow button heavily but others have implemented 3rd party add ons (e.g.WindowShade) or moved on to the next new/cool GUI window management tool from Apple -- Expose'.

There simply aren't many examples of _lasting, widely used _ desktop/window GUI features that have been added since the early days of the Mac OS, Windows & X11. Of course there have been some new, innovative desktop/window GUI features that have 'stuck' and Expose' may become one of them. But the odds are against it.

FWIW comments like 'I don't know how I lived without it.' of early adopters (e.g. most MacNN forum users) are notoriously unreliable indicators of the _long term success_* of any feature/application. Early adopters not only adopt things early, they often drop things fairly quickly when something newer/cooler comes along. Long term success depends on the next wave of adopters who tend to be more critical of flaws and willing to stick with the devil they know

* OTOH early adopters are fairly reliable predictors of _failure_; few features/applications succeed if they are not embraced by early adopters.

-- asxless in iLand

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 24, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by asxless:
Does anyone else find it ironic that most people who have posted responses in this thread say that they... "almost never", "never, ever", or "on rare occasions" use one of the principle OS X window management controls -- that little yellow button on every window -- to manage their OS X Windows!?
i was already thinking the same thing, by the time i got to this comment.

it's like some people see it as a crime, or a sign of weakness, so they feel the need to make sure everybody knows they NEVER minimise!

weird.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 08:47 PM

Expos� is great for those working on small displays, not just for those with dozens of open windows.

It would be even better if Expos� would reveal hidden and minimized windows when appropriately invoked and re-hide and minimize those windows. Feedback to the mother ship, anyone?
I, ASIMO.

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2003, 10:40 PM

i was already thinking the same thing, by the time i got to this comment.

it's like some people see it as a crime, or a sign of weakness, so they feel the need to make sure everybody knows they NEVER minimise!

weird.
Are you a closet minimiser?

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2003, 12:39 AM

Used Expose for a little while, but it really didn't grow on me (partly because i always had to remain aware of, and avoid, my regular window hiding habits for it to be useful). Too much to think about.

I'm now back to minimizing, cmd-tabbing (liteswitch) and the window menu, whichever is convenient at the time..

xmacintosh  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by keston:
Used Expose for a little while, but it really didn't grow on me (partly because i always had to remain aware of, and avoid, my regular window hiding habits for it to be useful). Too much to think about.

I'm now back to minimizing, cmd-tabbing (liteswitch) and the window menu, whichever is convenient at the time..
I never use the Window menu, but I like to CTRL+Click the App icon to see the opened windows.

wil
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2003, 04:14 PM

I use one of two auto-hide apps:
1) MenuStrip (yes, i still use this dinasaur)
2) AutoHide

I would switch full-time to AutoHide if it worked with classic windows. As it is, I only use MenuStrip.

Both apps allow you to specify which apps hide and when they hide. There is also the option key to turn hiding off.

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2003, 05:30 PM

I find myself using the dock to switch between apps, then using F10 Expose to switch between Windows in the frontmost app.

For example, after typing this message in Safari, I'll go to Excel where I have 5 wondows open. I'll use the dock to switch to Excel. Then, to find the window I want I'll use F10.

I have too many windows open in other apps to just use F9 Expose - it would be like a needle in a haystack to find the Excel window I want.
Don

clf8
Nov 25, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by dbergstrom:
I have too many windows open in other apps to just use F9 Expose - it would be like a needle in a haystack to find the Excel window I want.
Hit your Show All Expose button (is that F9, I remapped mine).
Hit tab until your Excel windows pop up.

I don't minimize that often, I just keep main windows open. There's always a Terminal window, iTunes, and Mail taking up half my desktop. Occassionally I'll minimize a window that I don't want to close yet, but don't need anymore (like an order processed web page while I'm waiting on the order processed email). I don't think Expose is going to go anywhere, especially with the tabbed switching and drag n drop capabilities it allows.

All that said, I would love to also have virtual screen support.
-Flowers...

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 08:02 PM

Pre Panther, I used Minimize in Place a lot.

In panther, I use the new dock's "Hide ability" heavily.
I'm trying to use expos� more, since I will be changing to a 12in PBG4 (1024x768 resolution, from a 1280 17 in CRT ...).

Safari's tabs, although no the first to have them, are a god send to me, allow to have one window for browsing instead of many
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

allap
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 10:13 PM

I used to rely heavily on hiding (command-H) and minimizing to the dock or windowshading, with help from windowshade X. Now that i have panther, i'm all about expose. I don't bother to minimize anything. I bound the "show all windows" command to the button on the scroll wheel of my mouse and it works great.

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 06:25 AM

Minimize-In-Place
I tried this out because it looked cool, but I'm actually finding it useful now too. Thanks!

fiddler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 10:47 AM

WIth a 1024x768 screen and a multi-button mouse, it's almost impossible for me NOT to use expos�. For me, it's faster than any other window-switching method.

Note that you can hold down F9 (or the mouse button equivalent), select your window then release. It's much quicker since it eliminates the need for an extra click.

Forum Links
Forum Rules