Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Anyone with a Halo (Mac) status update?

Anyone with a Halo (Mac) status update?
jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 03:47 AM

Nothing past the December 11th shipping date can be found. I know this site was recently launched ... http://www.macsoftgames.com/products...Soft-Halo.html

But, I want more. I have downloaded every screenshot and visited every forum. I can not wait. My new 1.8DP G5 with Radeon 9600 (although probably will be wishing I had a 9800 but am eagerly awaiting the next round of video cards) is ready and waiting, even got a Logitech Cordless Wingman Rumblepad ... tested it out on my roommates' PC copy of Halo and it is perfect for Banshee flying. I am jealous of him everyday that he already gets Halo goodness on his computer. I have played the PC version a bit but want to hold out to play on my G5.

I pre-ordered it from the Apple Store but am scouring the net for a copy to play if one becomes available sooner (I am buying so do not feel bad for trying).

Please post here if any dems, betas, or confirmed shipping dates are to be found. Thanks!

[email protected]

p.s.
Thinking of starting a decent Halo on Mac website and maybe will try to setup some dedicated servers. Modding tools might become abailable if they developers can get them out ... but maybe someone can make their own as some PC users have.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 02:13 PM

I don't have a copy. I looked everywhere. under my bed, in the shower, behind the chairs in the living room. I even check my room mate's room, and only found dirty magazines. No HALO.

I too would want to know how well HALO runs, my 867 G4 with a radeon 9000 should be able to handle it.

Lando Griffin
Dec 6, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
I don't have a copy. I looked everywhere. under my bed, in the shower, behind the chairs in the living room. I even check my room mate's room, and only found dirty magazines. No HALO.

I too would want to know how well HALO runs, my 867 G4 with a radeon 9000 should be able to handle it.
I have a dual 1.25 with a geforce4 ti and i'm sure it'll run fine. I have had no problems with any game yet.
"And in other news, Lando Griffin, a popular student at a local high school, was killed last night when his motorcycle careened off Dead Man's Curve. Police were baffled when no body was found at the scene, but they decided it was best not to ask questions and just let everyone get on with their lives."

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 01:57 AM

Shouldn't it be going gold soon?

jtwiskowski  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 04:02 AM

I hope it goes gold soon, but it must have gone gold already. Let's just hope it starts shiping out to our hands on or around the December 11th launch date.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by jtwiskowski:
Let's just hope it starts shiping out to our hands on or around the December 11th launch date.
Sometimes the release date is the date which the manufaturer/publisher starts shipping it out to vendors. Some of the bigger vendors will have their stock within a few days, while other won't receive theirs for a week or so.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 01:56 PM

It has gone gold, was RTM on Friday and will be shipping on Thursday.

jtwiskowski  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
It has gone gold, was RTM on Friday and will be shipping on Thursday.
Just saw the information on the homepage. Thanks for passing it along here. I guess we will not have it on Thursday or Friday but the week after. At least it is confirmed complete, I just do not know how much longer I can wait.

Halo Different.

Bostic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 07:28 PM

I'm new to Mac gaming and am wondering if other first person shooter games allow actions for scroll up or scroll down and zoom with the wheel button? Now that I have used up for reload, down for switch weapons and wheel button for zoom on the PC Version it is awkward to do those functions with the left hand on the keyboard. I hope Mac Halo supports 8 buttons total like the PC Version.

jtwiskowski  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 10:12 PM

I am fairly confident all mice and keyboards as well as gamepads will be fully customizeable from within the Hallo interfac.

ae77
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Bostic:
I hope Mac Halo supports 8 buttons total like the PC Version.
I'm quite certain that will be the case.
^_^

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Bostic:
I'm new to Mac gaming and am wondering if other first person shooter games allow actions for scroll up or scroll down and zoom with the wheel button?
Most games do. RTCW and UT2003 use the scrollwheel.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2003, 06:48 PM

I can hardly wait for the Mac version. I threw the PC demo on a spare box and went online - whole lot of fun.

Not a lot of good competition out there, though.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 06:58 PM

I don't know what to say about the game being released. I mean, day after tomorrow?! Wouldn't there be a demo out by now? That's usually a sign that a game is coming real soon.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

jtwiskowski  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2003, 08:00 PM

They have been late with the final release and just wnat to get that out the door. Perhaps a demo will be found down the road. I just want to know when and if anyone locates and actual copy for sale (or even download). I do have mine on pre-order from The Apple Store, but will be hoping to find it sooner if possible. (Who knows who will get copies first, and get them on selves, or out to orderes).

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2003, 08:00 PM

Any sites have any impressions?

ae77
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 01:44 PM

macgamer.com and insidemacgames.com have some screenshots.

well today is the 11th. doesn't look like there will be a demo released.
^_^

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2003, 06:32 PM

Unfortunately on the Mac scene, demos usually come after the game is released/ships. Maybe a week or two after. They've probably been too busy getting it out the door to work on or polish a demo anyhow.

Originally posted by Jansar:
I don't know what to say about the game being released. I mean, day after tomorrow?! Wouldn't there be a demo out by now? That's usually a sign that a game is coming real soon.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by keston:
Unfortunately on the Mac scene, demos usually come after the game is released/ships. Maybe a week or two after. They've probably been too busy getting it out the door to work on or polish a demo anyhow.
Games such as Neverwinter Nights and Unrreal Tournament 2003 released "tech demos" at least two weeks (most of the time more) before their full releases.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2003, 08:57 PM

I suppose many of you know this already, but the Apple Store is sending out shipment notices for Halo orders. I got mine earlier today, but so far there hasn't been any FedEx scan activity on the tracking number.

ae77
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by justinkim:
I suppose many of you know this already, but the Apple Store is sending out shipment notices for Halo orders. I got mine earlier today, but so far there hasn't been any FedEx scan activity on the tracking number.
that's great. hope to see your impressions. i'm still on the fence about buying it.
^_^

jtwiskowski  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2003, 10:52 PM

I did finally get my Hallo: Combat Evolved shipping confirmation from Apple, with scan activity listed from Fedex ...

8:17 pm / Left FedEx Origin Location_
MAPLE GROVE MN_

6:36 pm / Pickup status_
MAPLE GROVE MN

Good luck to all who ordered on early shipment, I will be seeing you all online soon ... and I'll be the one constantly flying the Banshee! (or trying to get in one!)

Halo Different.

"One more night dreaming of flying banshees"

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 12:26 AM

I got my shipping info too! The only thing that sucks, is I chose 2 day shipping, it shipped from Maple Grove, MN. Which is a west suburbs of the Twin Cities, I live in Circle Pines which is west of Blaine, MN which is a north suburb of the Twin Cities. No way should it take 2 days, but the delivery date said not until the 15th!
I can't wait for Christmas vacation!!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by zeebe:
I got my shipping info too! The only thing that sucks, is I chose 2 day shipping, it shipped from Maple Grove, MN. Which is a west suburbs of the Twin Cities, I live in Circle Pines which is west of Blaine, MN which is a north suburb of the Twin Cities. No way should it take 2 days, but the delivery date said not until the 15th!
I can't wait for Christmas vacation!!
yeah thats what sucks about 2 day vs ground. If you go with 2 day, it won't be for 2 days, cause thats just how the system works. But if you go ground and are close to location, it could be less than that. I ordered a part from Apple and chose ground and it got here overnight cause ti shipped from a real close location. If I chose 2 day, fedex would have help onto it for an extra day. Just the nature of the beast.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 02:31 PM

It's at the Apple Store as of today. They've got them. Goit my copy. Installing now
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

oranjdisc
Senior User
Dec 12, 2003, 03:10 PM

Apple store in Atlanta has them too. I called and they're reserving me a copy to be picked up before they close tonight. BOOM!

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
Apple store in Atlanta has them too. I called and they're reserving me a copy to be picked up before they close tonight. BOOM!
I thought of that option, but my school is having it's Faculty Christmas party tonight and I would have never made it. Plus, I just called my wife.......
AND IT ARRIVED!!!!!

She is so thrilled

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2003, 05:37 PM

So has anyone played it yet?? mrchin, any update?
Joe

Truepop
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 08:11 PM

Still waiting for Compusa to stock. I don't know if I want to wait "sometime within the week"

t_hah
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 08:19 PM

I tried it on my PowerBook G4 800. It runs much better than I thought, but in scenes with many action it does get a bit slow. But not too bad so far.

I have everything on the low settings though, but the game is still enjoyable.

The CD has no cutom icon, which is kind of crappy. The installer is really crappy too. It is one of those old type installers.
I placed all the files on my external drive, and the game files took up about 1.3GBs. That comes from one CD. The game requires a code which comes with the game, but it does not need the CD to be in the drive after installation. Whoo Hoo there.
:-D
t
( Last edited by t_hah; Dec 12, 2003 at 08:27 PM. )

Bostic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 08:38 PM

Got it installed and running on my Powerbook 12" rev b with 768ram. Ran it at 640x480 and low settings with vsync off and was getting around 90fps walking around the Danger Canyon map. The real test is the Truth and Reconciliation level. Will try the single player and multi-player more later this evening. I'm still new to the Mac, how do you modify an icons properties? On the PC version you can add in extras

-novideo -nojoystick -exec mouse.cfg

to turn off the intro movies, joystick searching on the usb port and mouse acceleration.

ae77
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
I tried it on my PowerBook G4 800. It runs much better than I thought, but in scenes with many action it does get a bit slow. But not too bad so far.

I have everything on the low settings though, but the game is still enjoyable.

but it does not need the CD to be in the drive after installation. Whoo Hoo there.
:-D
t
sounds great. looks like i will be picking it up from applestore.

how's online mode?
^_^

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2003, 01:29 AM

Have it installed and have played part of the single player game, very fun! Haven't tried multiplayer yet. I am running a 1GHz 17" iMac and have had no problems (except for a little rendering of the movie during the landing, a little pixelation going on.)

I love the game, glad I bought it

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2003, 09:01 AM

OK, so it's good so far, but I'm not as excited as I was for UT. Haven't played multiplayer yet. Graphics look like they're a few years old as in the date this was actually created.

Having the FSSA on causes the pixelization. Had to turn it back off. I turned everything to max detail and was getting pretty choppy at some points walking around during the Autumn (intro) mission. It would really studder. So something may still need to be tweaked, either with panther and Radeion drivers or un 1.0.x update.

This is running on a Dual 2gig G5 with 1.5GB RAM and Radeon 9600. I think it should handle the little amount of gameplay I encountered. I'll have to tweak.

On that note, how do we adjust resolution as my cinema isn't getting full screen for this puppy.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2003, 09:31 AM

duh. Video settings. I got nice 1280x800 I think now. Full screen.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 13, 2003, 09:59 AM

Is everyone afraid to talk about the speed issues? Or has the Mac version really fixed those over the PC version?

Please be honest...and don't give opinions, I want an fps number not just a "it runs pretty good".

michaelr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 12:05 PM

*sniff*

Mine crashes whenever I click the multiplayer menu option on the main screen.

Anybody else having that?

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2003, 12:59 PM

I participated in the beta test, and i think it's okay to talk about it now. I can speak from experience and say that if the reports of the PC version's poor performance are true, then the Mac version is way better. i run a Quicksilver 867 (with a Radeon 8500) and a TiBook 867, both of which play the single-player levels at 1024x or 800x (actually, they're both widescreen resolutions, whose exact dimensions escape me right now) with a mid-level amount of detail at a consistent 20-30fps. The single-player missions are intense, and enough to make you not want to play in the dark. As for speed, what I found was the roughest on my hardware was the intro to 'The Silent Cartographer'. There aren't any in-game situations that I ran into that stress the hardware more than that.

Multiplayer, on the other hand, is a little more rough on the machine--lots of stuff going on at once (as is often the case) will bog down my machine at the aforementioned settings. Fortunately, Halo comes with a *ton* of configuration options, and if you turn off the shaders and stuff like that, the internet multiplayer is quite enjoyable (and i'm not good, and can play competitively enough). The big test of the multiplayer playability is to hop in a Warthog as a gunner, and see if you can aim okay. If it's too choppy, then you'll probably want to back off your settings (network lag notwithstanding). That was the rule of thumb i used.

Be sure to check out the performance FAQ at halo.bungie.org -- it was written for the PC, but the facts if not the methods still apply to the Mac version.

All that being said, i do intend to upgrade my hardware soon, because this game is that good...

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Is everyone afraid to talk about the speed issues? Or has the Mac version really fixed those over the PC version?

Please be honest...and don't give opinions, I want an fps number not just a "it runs pretty good".
The timedemo returned 16.81fps average the last time i ran it, which was on a much earlier version...

That was 1024x640 with everything set to HIGH (except the sounds) on my G4/867, 640MB RAM, and Radeon 8500.

The timedemo scores, though, run only the cutscenes, pretty intense, graphically. It Runs Pretty Good, and this is an excellent port, IMHO. If you're not running Panther, though, you probably ought to be.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2003, 04:10 PM

I'm unable to get the game to run in anything but 640x480. There are 800x600 and 1024x768 options under settings. When I select one of the high res options, the game flashing and then asks me if the settings are ok but nothing changed.

I'm running the game on a G4 tower 1.4Ghz with a GeForce 2MX and 1GB of RAM with low settings, no vertex shaders as the card can't support it.

On my 12" PB/1Ghz DVI with 768MB RAM, I'm having the same problem. I am using vertex shaders on the PB as the GeForce GO5200 appears to have support for that option.

Anyone know why I can't change to a higher res?
MacBook Pro

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2003, 05:30 PM

This just might be the first time in PC gaming history where a Mac has surpassed the PC's gaming performance in a game.

But then again, it is all just due to bad coding by the developers.

Bostic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 06:55 PM

It's tough to play on the Rev B 12" Powerbook once there are a lot of aliens on the screen. Using the console and rasterizer_fps true option it often dips to under 20fps with everything turned down to lowest setting. Same thing for vsync on or off or 30fps. Until the 1.03 patch is released you can't join any of the PC servers running that, only a fraction of hacked/unpatched servers are in the gamespy viewer. Same problems as users on PC's, warping vehicles, shotgun at point blank missing completely etc.

Hydra
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 02:33 AM

I got's me a Dual 2.0 G5/ATI Radeon 9800/2.5 GB RAM and I ran the TImedemo and got 27.68fps running the widescreen rez of 1280x800 under 10.3.1. The only thing not running is AA which seems to have major problems (textures showing up as white blinking surfaces - a real mess). Other than that it seems very smooth in actual play and looks as good as it plays.

-Jerry C.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2003, 03:29 AM

Hydra --

For comparison's sake, unpatched PC Halo reported a timedemo average of 28.92 fps on my P4 3.06/Radeon 9700 Pro (1024x768, no AA, "high" settings). So the Mac seems damn comparable As patches come, the Mac scores should only get better.
Be happy.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2003, 05:51 AM

Wow, color me impressed with the dual 2.0 even more. Hopefully Halo won't tear my dual 800 too much of a new one. Maybe just a little, which I can live with.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
This just might be the first time in PC gaming history where a Mac has surpassed the PC's gaming performance in a game.

But then again, it is all just due to bad coding by the developers.
eh?
I got's me a Dual 2.0 G5/ATI Radeon 9800/2.5 GB RAM and I ran the TImedemo and got 27.68fps running the widescreen rez of 1280x800 under 10.3.1. The only thing not running is AA which seems to have major problems (textures showing up as white blinking surfaces - a real mess). Other than that it seems very smooth in actual play and looks as good as it plays.
A dual 2Ghz G5, with the best mac graphics card runs Halo at 27fps?! thats terrible!
I've seen 2.2GHz PCs run Halo at the same resolution with over 30 or 40 fps.
we don't have time to stop for gas

i am yujin
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 03:53 PM

It has also been patched a couple times, no?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by i am yujin:
It has also been patched a couple times, no?
No, it was only just released. Westlake said they got the code for the PC 1.03 patch earlier in the week and they're looking for a quick turnaround on it, but it's not out there yet.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2003, 06:30 PM

Man, I got Halo today..what a piece of junk. Enter and Return don't work properly in most of the menus, the mouse speed is way too fast for the game (since I have my OS mouse speed up, but they should test for that or make a custom in-game mouse speed)., graphics in game are screwy, and Expos� throws it off.

What really bothers me the most are the graphics, though. I tested Halo on my Dual G4/500/1 GB RAM/Radeon 9000, and it ran...ehh. The graphics details had to be set pretty low. I installed it on my new 15" 1.25 GHz PowerBook, and it ran a lot better detail-wise. The textures, pixel and vertex shaders, FSAA..all that could be cranked up. However, there are a bunch of graphical glitches. The radar graphic at the bottom also appears at the top without transparency..bleh. The weapon images randomly appear at the top of the screen, also without the proper transparency. Picking up active camo makes an inverted (vertically) image of the current fram appear in 3/4 of the screen..it's hard to describe...

Did anyone playtest this game on a Mac AT ALL?

Hydra
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 07:58 PM

I played the XBox version for a few hours what seems like 2 years ago. I liked it but the frame-rate didn't impress me. I don't see any of the glitches that macgyvr64 seems to have with glitches like the weapons appearing on top of the screen. I played it for a couple of hours yesterday and it seemed pretty solid with no crashes and then I started a server to play around with the multiplayer weapons a bit and 6 other players popped in. Before I knew it an all-out melee resulted.

I actually had much more fun than I expected with Halo's multiplayer mode (being more a UT2003 and MOHAA online player). The weapons seem very balanced and the recharging shields definitely change your playing tactics more than a little. A refreshing change IMHO. Overall I like the game and the only negative I can see so far is that the quality of the aesthetics are only let down by what appears to be relatively low polygon count from what is an older game engine. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. It's far from a pig but it does appear a little like throwing ton's of CPU crunching eye-candy on-top of older poly's. This can only be expected but I really would like to thank Westlake for all it's hard work in converting over all the pixel-shaders for the Mac (this is no trivial task). This is a first in a Mac title with these as far as I know and I hope it's not the last.

I'll try to run the demo at the standard 1024x768 and see what I get (for a true Mac/Pc comparison) but 1280x800 is not a rez I've seen run on PC's for a benchmark.

-Jerry C.
( Last edited by Hydra; Dec 14, 2003 at 08:04 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules