Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Middle Earth [complete set previews]

Middle Earth [complete set previews]
JoE950
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 05:17 PM

themes to be made based on the Lord of the Rings films and other fantasy works.

benign
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 05:35 PM

Welcome to the marvelous
world of Kaleidoscope.

Simple Empire...

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by benign:
Welcome to the marvelous
world of Kaleidoscope.
what the hell is that supposed to mean?

JoE - these look amazing!!! Hope they come out soon.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 05:52 PM

Gorgeous, just gorgeous! (Just don't mind benign... there's a cynic if I ever saw one).

BTW, just a suggestion more than anything � Maybe rename Black Glass to something else, because people might confuse it with NetworkShadow's "Dark Glass" theme. Not anything life-threatening, but I just thought I'd bring it up.

FB Eye
Senior User
Dec 22, 2003, 05:55 PM

How about renaming Black Glass to Mount Doom? Just a thought...

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2003, 05:56 PM

All very, very nice, but I can't say that I like the brown background of shire more than I did the original "puke green," or the greener green from the shire thread. The puke green, while by itself is probably one ugly color, just goes well with shire. Yet, the brown just doesn't go. The progress bars also need some work, like many have said. The dark one is nice, but possibly make a less orange variant or replacement to satisfy dark theme lovers. VERY nice work altogether, I always liked [f]p as well.

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 05:57 PM

a good suggestion, but since the entire theme (once released as a complete set) will be titled "Middle Earth", and "Black Glass" will only be as state of that, so I really see no reason to change the name unless NetworkShadow requests i change it. i just dont feel it will have any mind share with his theme since mine will be in a package, and his is stand alone.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:
a good suggestion, but since the entire theme (once released as a complete set) will be titled "Middle Earth", and "Black Glass" will only be as state of that, so I really see no reason to change the name unless NetworkShadow requests i change it. i just dont feel it will have any mind share with his theme since mine will be in a package, and his is stand alone.
I was thinking black glass wouldnt work. but if we make any variations on dark glass it will me like light glass and all that. dont think we will go color naming. love the elvish one. it's my fav

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 06:22 PM

im including all the "shire" backgrounds ive done. i might separate them from the main set to save on download time. but all in all dont worry frisbee, the green will be avaliable!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 06:26 PM

Don't worry about the BlackGlass name, if anything I might update DarkGlass but I doubt I'll make any variations.

I do think I'll use Elvish, it's very nice.
click one

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2003, 06:32 PM

I need em' soon - They look very well done . I am looking forward to them all . Thanks for working them up . Very refreshing ---
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 07:17 PM

These look absolutely superb! I can't wait to try them!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Very cool!

My only suggestion would be to add a small bit of differing texture to each one, instead of just color changes. Perhaps "The Shire" could have a leaf texture background, "Black Glass" should have a cracked volcanic rock texture, and "Elvish" should look like perl and ivory.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2003, 08:28 PM

now let's see the caption buttons, please

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2003, 08:42 PM

Awesome theme, very earthy...

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Dec 22, 2003, 09:31 PM

Very nifty, all of them. I'm a little worried about the text color of Elvish though; the tab pane background is light with dark text, but the window background is dark, so it'd need light text. I think you may find that's difficult or impossible to do consistently.

Oh, by the way, if you're curious or want to include this in the theme somewhere, here's what "Elvish" looks like in Elvish*:

-----
*Specifically, for all you Tolkien geeks out there, this is the Quenya word for "Elvish", or "of the Elves", rendered into the Tengwar using the Classical mode. Figuring out what the word actually is is left as an exercise for the reader.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Dec 22, 2003, 09:34 PM

By the way, I find it exceedingly amusing that Tulkas and Ol�rin have already checked in on this theme. I think you may be creating a monster.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2003, 10:30 PM

Could you also post a preview of what the MENUBAR/MENUS look like?... that is also a very important part of the UI.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2003, 11:06 PM

This looks very interesting and refreshing... I hope you are considering an accompanying icon set, aqua icons would just look plain out of place with these antique, natural themes.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 11:30 PM

what do you use to translate to elvish?

thanks for pointing out the elvish bacground issue.

i will post some titlebars as soon as i get them finished. i want to get the main elements out of the way first.

there are already a bunch of lotr icons out there. i might do some eventually. i may do the basic finder, trash can, folder at least for the release.

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2003, 11:50 PM

text color fixed, radio button and slider button tweaked. im starting on "Shire" now.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 12:37 AM

what do you use to translate to elvish?
TextEdit and my own knowledge of the language, supplemented by the dictionaries available at the Ardalambion. For rendering into Tengwar, I use Dan Smith's Tengwar fonts, as well as some others by other people. (That snippet above was created using Tengwar Elfica, an especially nice face available at the latter link.) I made a PNG out of the text using a service installed by some random page layout program at some point, but you could just as easily take a screen shot and do a Photoshop trick to make the white areas transparent.

thanks for pointing out the elvish bacground issue.
No problem. Looks much better now, though I might suggest that you hue shift it a bit toward the blue; at lower brightness, that color looks nice, but when it gets that bright it's pretty violently purple. I also don't picture the elves as a particularly saturated kind of people... maybe something like RGB(98,98,189)?

there are already a bunch of lotr icons out there. i might do some eventually. i may do the basic finder, trash can, folder at least for the release.
Ooh, really? I haven't come across any; or, rather, the only LotR icons I've come across were basically a bunch of images of the characters, often not even masked out of the backgrounds... could you point me at some decent ones?

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 12:57 AM

the blue you suggested made the button look "inactive" so i went with a slightly darker version.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 01:39 AM

I don't know anything about LOTR, but those look very interesting.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
By the way, I find it exceedingly amusing that Tulkas and Ol�rin have already checked in on this theme. I think you may be creating a monster.
this announcement totally made my day - I've been checking this thread every 10 minutes ... I must say though, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't read or speak Elvish myself ... I used to know the alphabet, but can't recall it anymore.

-Olorin

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2003, 10:10 AM

OMG. Black Glass and Elvish is cool.

I'm assuming it's gonna be released for SS only?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

memento
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 10:40 AM

sweeet. These are some of the best mockups I've seen in a while.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 23, 2003, 12:31 PM

Very cool stuff! I dig the Shire and Black Glass. Except that I agree that Black Glass is not a suiting name. Mordor or Mount Doom would be cooler. And I also agree with a previous poster that mentioned that the Seg Tabs active and Inactive buttons should be reversed. But other than that, great job! I think it will work very well together with some cool desktop picture

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 02:56 PM

I found some Icons that I think would do very nicely ,,, .here
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 08:31 PM

text color fixed, radio button and slider button tweaked. im starting on "Shire" now.

Dude you should start with Elvish first since everyone seems to be really psyched about it.
click one

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 08:56 PM

NS thats probably the most constructive comment ive had yet!

chezpaul
Senior User
Dec 24, 2003, 11:03 AM

Very nice themes..

If U really care to hear my opinion, I prefered when the text was black in Elvish. But that's just me I guess... ;-)
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Holigen
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 02:11 PM

I really like Elvish, but the others just dont do it for me. I think a lot of other people feel the same way.

honz
Dec 24, 2003, 02:22 PM

Elvish is cool and I like it, but it's quite similar to loads of other themes already available (mainly because of the silver/gray appearance)
I personally prefer Shire because it's so unique.
That said... I suppose Elvish is more of an every-day-use theme than Shire.
Black Glass is a poor name (imho) and deserves something more sinister.

Looking forward to these and I can't wait to see what you've got in mind for the titlebar and widgets.

eDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2003, 02:39 PM

I'm looking v. fwd to this set of themes, esp Shire. The "organic" look isn't done enough, in my opinion. While Elvish & the dark theme (I agree w/ the person -- was it Max? -- who suggested Mordor as a name) look great, Shire looks the most original. And since this is an entry in the Unsanity contest, I think original is important.

That being said, I'll be happy w/ whatever Joe releases and in whatever order!

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2003, 04:03 PM

My favourite is Shire, but all of them look great. I think the second one should be called the Palantir I'm really looking forward to these - even got a nice DP ready. Any estimate on the timeline?

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2003, 10:56 PM

not yet. when i geth through thesed damn holidays ill post a timeline. you all decide on what Black Glass should be called. and ill pick what i like.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by olorin15:
My favourite is Shire, but all of them look great. I think the second one should be called the Palantir I'm really looking forward to these - even got a nice DP ready. Any estimate on the timeline?
Go for Palantir... describes it perfectly.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2003, 11:14 PM

then Palantir it is. i like it and it is pretty perfect. thanks for the suggestion!

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2003, 02:48 AM

Gorgeous!

I am partial to the neutral coloured one.. the elvish purple/blue hue. Easier for longterm eye use.

Nice.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2003, 02:59 AM

then Palantir it is. i like it and it is pretty perfect. thanks for the suggestion!
it is after all Ol�rin's job to set people on the right path
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Go for Palantir... describes it perfectly.
I was actually about to suggest that.
click one

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by benign:
Welcome to the marvelous
world of Kaleidoscope.

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 09:49 AM

i like this for the progress bar better (the intermediate will go the opposite direction, or i will keep it the pulsing, but with chevron arrows instead of barber shop stripes):

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 11:27 AM

Good choice! Don't forget to use the correct diacritical mark - the acute accent on the "i".

Thus: palant�r

If I remember correctly, the plural form is palant�ri (there were originally seven seeing-stones).

Hope this helps.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
Good choice! Don't forget to use the correct diacritical mark - the acute accent on the "i".

Thus: palant�r

If I remember correctly, the plural form is palant�ri (there were originally seven seeing-stones).

Hope this helps.
some peeps are so picky ...
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 12:09 AM

I like The Shire one the best, although all three are absolutely beautiful. I agree that the Black Glass one should be called Palantir, and preferred it with black text, although perhaps the purply - lilacy color would look nice on the menubar and menus etc. You'd know best.

Thank god something else has come along to take my mind off of Omega! ShapeShifter is starting to look like a real bargain now, now that wonderful themes like this are in the pipeline.

I hope it will be here by the end of January!
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

haley
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 12:25 PM

I love these!

just a suggestion for Elvish though... make the inactive things a lighter color that is more like the background. Right now it looks like you could make either the active or the inactive buttons etc. active on their own. It's hard to tell which is which.

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 03:50 AM

it is with great sadness that i post this, but im going to have to hold off on this project since i must sell my computer. i wont be able to continue on it until i can afford to replace it sometime in the future. i will be around for a couple more weeks. so when the time comes (it will be about seven months or so) i will be back filling your face with great stuff.

if ive pissed anyone off, id like to say im deeply sorry. i had hoped it wouldnt come to this. believe me, i didnt want it to.

well enough crying, i hope this stuff is still here when i get back!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 28, 2003, 08:16 AM

Take your time!
Too many people expect a theme to be out a week after the preview. Good themes take time and your mockups are very promising!

Forum Links
Forum Rules