Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Catalyst: Create Themes For Mac OS X

[ANN] Catalyst: Create Themes For Mac OS X
goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 01:14 AM

Catalyst is the new way to create themes for Mac OS X. It has a powerful feature set and a streamlined interface. Features are:

� Catalyst is %100 free.
� Ability to create themes for Duality or Unsanity's ShapeShifter.
� Reads .theme, .dlta, and .xscheme.
� Saves to .xscheme and .dlta.
� Powerful resource editor allows you to group resources, and allows you to specify different options for users to choose from (i.e. red buttons, blue buttons, etc) within a variation.
� Built upon ThemeKit 2.0 for support for the XScheme+ format.
� Integrated icon editor for easy creation of icon sets for your theme.
� Migration for .tpark projects.
� Integration with InstoSoft's Examiner. This allows theme creators to preview their theme using dozens of different example situations. Integration with Duality 4.5's engine allows changer-less preview.
� Catalyst will support the advanced features of Duality 5, bringing near-Linux like customization to the Mac.

Now, Catalyst sadly isn't done, but we wouldn't want to announce this program empty handed. So today we're releasing Catalyst Lite, which is built on the CSTheme API of ThemeKit. Catalyst Lite is essentially just the file manager portion of Catalyst. It allows you to:

� Edit .theme's, .dlta's, and .xschemes.
� Add and extract files to the package
� Change file links, theme previews, theme names, and theme descriptions.
� Assign theme wide names (Duality 4.5 and 5 ONLY).

Here are the release notes:

-Catalyst Lite is CSTheme based, meaning it is compatible with any CSTheme or TKTheme based ThemeKit application such as Duality or Themer.
-DLTA export is available for ShapeShifter or ThemeChanger
-The theme wide name does not work under Duality 4 or Themer. It can be used under Duality 4.5, or Duality 5's bundle services if more than one variation is present. It can be accessed using the CSTheme API. Theme wide names have been added as part of ThemeKit 1.1.
-Exported theme previews in a Catalyst created DLTA theme will lack extensions on the preview files, so they will only most likely work under Cocoa applications for the most part. These previews will not work with Duality 3.X.
-When a DLTA is imported that contains files organized by sub-directories within the bundle, those files will not continue working when they are re-exported to a DTLA. The theme must be kept in a XScheme format, or the files must be renamed to remove "/" from the name.
-Catalyst may be used in conjunction with ThemePark. Simply edit your .rsrc file in ThemePark. Catalyst lacks the application based integration found in earlier betas due to the adoption of XScheme.
-The PXM/ICNS browser will be implemented as TKTheme is adopted and ThemeKit 2.0 development proceeds.
-Cancel does not currently work in the variation editor.

Catalyst full is expected to hit beta soon, as ThemeKit 2.0 coding progresses. If all goes well, expect a beta on the forums by the end of next week. The resource editing code is all being coded this week.

You can download Catalyst Lite at:
http://carpestellarem.com/Downloads/...t/Catalyst.zip
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

RydDragyn
Dec 23, 2003, 01:18 AM

downloading now

zachs
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 01:19 AM

It won't launch for me:

Code:
Command: Catalyst Path: /Users/zachs/Desktop/Catalyst/Catalyst.app/Contents/MacOS/Catalyst Version: ??? (???) PID: 19844 Thread: Unknown Link (dyld) error: dyld: /Users/zachs/Desktop/Catalyst/Catalyst.app/Contents/MacOS/Catalyst can't open library: /Users/colincornaby/Documents/themekit/build/ThemeKit.framework/Versions/A/ThemeKit (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
It won't launch for me:

Code:
Command: Catalyst Path: /Users/zachs/Desktop/Catalyst/Catalyst.app/Contents/MacOS/Catalyst Version: ??? (???) PID: 19844 Thread: Unknown Link (dyld) error: dyld: /Users/zachs/Desktop/Catalyst/Catalyst.app/Contents/MacOS/Catalyst can't open library: /Users/colincornaby/Documents/themekit/build/ThemeKit.framework/Versions/A/ThemeKit (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Argh. This error again. This came up when we moved to XCode. Lemme do some checking.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

timdorr
Dec 23, 2003, 01:46 AM

I'll download when you have things statically linked. I'm too lazy to download ThemeKit and compile right now

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 01:50 AM

OK, everythings linked correctly. Try downloading again. XCode took out the launch path for ThemeKit, so I uploaded a new version with the correct launch path for a bundled framework.

mac15
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 01:55 AM

we have ourselves a theme war going on , shapshifter vs themekit

timdorr
Dec 23, 2003, 01:55 AM

BTW, I tried downloading the TK framework from your site and the .pkg failed to install...

Got this with the latest download:

ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/colincornaby/Documents/Catalyst/build/Catalyst.build/Catalyst.build/Objects-normal/ppc/MyDocument.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/colincornaby/Documents/Catalyst/build/Catalyst.build/Catalyst.build/Objects-normal/ppc/main.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/colincornaby/Documents/Catalyst/build/Catalyst.build/Catalyst.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CSCatalystWindow.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/colincornaby/Documents/Catalyst/build/Catalyst.build/Catalyst.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CSVariationInfoWindow.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/colincornaby/Documents/Catalyst/build/Catalyst.build/Catalyst.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CSCatalystMainWindowToolbar.ob
ZeroLink: could not load .o file: /Users/colincornaby/Documents/Catalyst/build/Catalyst.build/Catalyst.build/Objects-normal/ppc/CSCatalystController.ob
ZeroLink: unknown symbol '_main'

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by timdorr:
BTW, I tried downloading the TK framework from your site and the .pkg failed to install...

Got this with the latest download:
Just Great. Our downloads are going to hell in a handbasket...

SourceForge or the 1.0 release on Carpe Stellarem?

Edit: NM, the SourceForge one isn't a .pkg. I'll have to create a new build for the Carpe Stellarem site.

timdorr
Dec 23, 2003, 02:02 AM

"Xcode is designed to keep you waiting less and coding more."

Also, you shouldn't be ZeroLinking with a distributed release. That's only for debugging.

dole
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2003, 02:08 AM

You have to turn off Zero Link before you compile it so other people can use it.

edit: tim beat me to it.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by timdorr:
"Xcode is designed to keep you waiting less and coding more."

Also, you shouldn't be ZeroLinking with a distributed release. That's only for debugging.
Argh... Somehow development release got turned BACK on... I'l l recompile for our friends without dev tools installed.

When I was trying to test some code on 10.2 when I was ADC testing XCode I got baraged with ZeroLink errors. I... hate... ZeroLink...

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 02:14 AM

After much wailing and grinding of teeth a ThemeKit linked, ZeroLink free version is up.

zachs
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2003, 02:19 AM

Great!

I'm gonna test it out, but not for long as it's now 1am.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 03:24 AM

k, so do i have to dig in the system for the extras.rsrc? i dont really understand how this works.

i cant really tell if there is more to this than just a nice icon.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2003, 03:32 AM

we really need a program that greats mac themes on a windows machine. for all of us that are at work not doing work and who have two computers and one may have a better screen than the other. that would be the best thing to have then you could theme your theme anywhere.

timdorr
Dec 23, 2003, 03:39 AM

My Mac and PC share the same screen, so i'm good. But I do think that's an interesting idea. I dunno how much of a demand there would be for it, though :/

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2003, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
k, so do i have to dig in the system for the extras.rsrc? i dont really understand how this works.

i cant really tell if there is more to this than just a nice icon.
Catalyst currently doesn't do in house editing of each resource.

Catalyst Lite is really meant for those who have all the files they need for a theme already ready and want to package them.

A more robust version of Catalyst will go into beta within a few weeks (as stated above) that will have the icon and theme resource editors.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2003, 11:53 AM

Do you think you get too exited about your own products? It seems there is difficulty actually keeping something under wraps until its done ...(iow: whip it out a little too early). Don't be upset if three other developers now start doing something similar and steal your apps thunder (on a related note, you stole/threw away some of your own thunder already)...

I like the idea behind the app.. but you really should wait till its done/relatively un-buggy and tested before these announcements/releases (free software or not).

my 2 cents...

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Catalyst currently doesn't do in house editing of each resource.

Catalyst Lite is really meant for those who have all the files they need for a theme already ready and want to package them.

A more robust version of Catalyst will go into beta within a few weeks (as stated above) that will have the icon and theme resource editors.
how is a themer going to know what files they should use for a theme? or do you recommend using themepark for this? resourcerer? i dont really get it. i know that there is more coming, but unless you plan to scale every file that is included in a theme (having a pxm the wrong size can cause horrendous results.), i cant see how you could edit anything with this, without seeing what youre changing.

just my .02, chances are i dont know what im talking about.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 02:17 PM

I downloaded it and when it opened up all I got was an untitled window with two active toolbar buttons: Add Variation and Add File. Which files am I supposed to add? It seems like this is a lot harder to use than ThemePark. I really would like to save things in guiKit too since I have SS. Good try though.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2003, 06:10 PM

Catalyst Lite is intended to be its own product right now for quick conversion of existing themes.

I'm working on a full blown resource editor right now.

Currently I'm a bit stuck on interface designs for the program. If anyone has any ideas post them here.

Generally I'll say quite a bit about free/open source projects. Certain programs won't have said much about them until release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules