Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Middle Earth [complete set previews]

Middle Earth [complete set previews] (Page 2)
iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by JoE950:

it is with great sadness that i post this, but im going to have to hold off on this project since i must sell my computer. i wont be able to continue on it until i can afford to replace it sometime in the future. i will be around for a couple more weeks. so when the time comes (it will be about seven months or so) i will be back filling your face with great stuff.

if ive pissed anyone off, id like to say im deeply sorry. i had hoped it wouldnt come to this. believe me, i didnt want it to.

well enough crying, i hope this stuff is still here when i get back!
Good things come to those who wait . And this theme is fantastic.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 05:25 PM

it is with great sadness that i post this, but im going to have to hold off on this project since i must sell my computer. i wont be able to continue on it until i can afford to replace it sometime in the future. i will be around for a couple more weeks. so when the time comes (it will be about seven months or so) i will be back filling your face with great stuff.

if ive pissed anyone off, id like to say im deeply sorry. i had hoped it wouldnt come to this. believe me, i didnt want it to.

Wow, I'd *give* you my brother's computer that he never uses, but, well, he wants it. Not because I want the theme immediately (although that would be an added bonus), but because I'd hate to see someone computerless for seven months! I'd sure kill myself after the first week...

....I have a life....

We'll miss you, JoE!

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 08:03 PM

This is a sad day for Middle-Earth ... Hope you'll be back soon.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 08:06 PM

Oh no. I have to tell you JoE, I really thought you'd easily kill my theme in the contest...I really did, honest.

That's really too bad. Well, the best you can do is think of it as a sort of break. Once you're back, I can't wait to see these themes for real.

Good luck!

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 08:49 PM

There are many other great themers out there. Just give permission for someone else to continue/follow through with creating the theme without getting your undies in a bunch (meaning so you're not accusing anyone of ripping off your idea) and i think everyone can be happy. Not like it was gonna be a shareware theme or anything (and i sincerely hope that it isn't your intent to benefit from sympathy, or use it as a cause to "get stuff'). I don't think its the case... but it crossed my mind for a second, so i mention it. Though now that the idea/mockup has been shown, its pretty much out there... up to you. Good luck

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2003, 09:22 PM

I was thinking someone else could take over too. It's really really sad that JoE950 will will leaving us for the time being, and for sad reasons too. But this theme is just too good to gather dust for 9 months. Someone is only gonna rip it off sooner or later, so I think Joe should let someone take over officially, get it released, and take co-authorship.

The problem is who? There are loads of themers out there that are good enough to make a good job of it, but are there any interested in making organic, earthy themes like this? Everyone seems to be making slick, futuristic or minimalist at the moment.

That is why this theme is such a breath of fresh air. Joe950 will be missed until his return.

iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2003, 12:51 AM

id like to explain my position a little better to clarify my reasoning. dont take this the wrong way, i know i had you all looking foward to this, but im sure my theme will be out by the time the 3 disk movie set is out.

i like to keep expectations low to avoid disappointment, so when i said i wouldnt have a computer for six months, that was an under estimate, perhaps even a false statement if i can find another way out of my situation.

but if worse, does indeed, come to worst, and someone wants to take it over, they should contact me ([email protected], or ninefiveo [aim]) within the next two weeks. keep in mind though that it is MY work and i will be very critical about who takes it on! dont bother contacting me unless you have sufficient work experience in photoshop to show me to prove you can handle and exceed my expectations which i will clearly lay down when the time comes. But as said before most of the good quality themers focus on the shiny sophisticated work versus my organically organized style, so im uncertain that there is anyone that would even feel my earthy style is is worth continuing. this is the reason i started themeing in the first place. there was nobody that made anything that appealed to me (other than a few of max's modifications to aqua and AA is pretty nice) so i decided to make something i could enjoy and distribute to the small amount of people that i thought would actually care. then i stumbled on all of you who share my visions, and for about a week i was totally set to start letting my imagination run wild.

of course i want sympathy, for the simple fact that i dont want anyone ripping off my idea while im unable to defend myself. this is my creation, and as shallow as this is, i feel the need to finish what ive started on my own if at all possible.

themes are free except to the theme artist who creates them. i havent put this much time into the development of middle earth, to have the basic rights of ownership (the only benefit i will ever get out of producing a theme) stripped away. if anyone did this i would hope to god they get flamed for it and boycotted for stealing since there is no other sort of punishment for that kind of treachery. this is a simple matter of me postponing production until my situation clears. i hate to be this way about it, but i see nothing wrong with protecting my work.

not to mention the theme making process will hopefully be heavily improved by my return. the future will great no matter what. thanks for all the support!!!

eDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2003, 02:11 AM

Perfectly understandable POV to me.

wreks
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2003, 06:17 PM

not to mention the theme making process will hopefully be heavily improved by my return.
I wasn't in love with the theme but it looked cool. I was more impressed with your website which is very well done, is it staying up? I think you're a better designer than a lot of these guys who just know how to use the tools. Good luck in whatever.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 06:40 PM

be a part of our gui team and i or morphosx could take over the theme for you. it would be fun to do. and i believe we both have plenty of photoshop ability between us. i have been with photoshop since day one and am pretty impressive

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
be a part of our gui team and i or morphosx could take over the theme for you. it would be fun to do. and i believe we both have plenty of photoshop ability between us. i have been with photoshop since day one and am pretty impressive
Ya we've got 3 of us at the GUI lab. We haven't gotten rolling yet, but we should start to put out some cool themes before too long.
click one

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2004, 03:49 PM

what happened to the pictures?

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2004, 06:51 PM

the themes will start development very soon.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 06:55 PM

the themes will start development very soon.
Our GUI team (still thinking aobut a name for it) has teamed up with JoE950 to bring the themes to life.
click one

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jan 12, 2004, 07:21 PM

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 06:24 PM

um can someone post the screenies again, I just get missing links :/

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 07:50 PM

please wait until the theme is done.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 10:49 PM

please wait until the theme is done.
Not into hype are we? lol
click one

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 09:57 AM

oh yeah, i deleted my original mockups... oops!!!

seriously though, i hear work will be done very soon. so hold your genitals!
( Last edited by JoE950; Jan 15, 2004 at 11:10 AM. )

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 05:43 PM

oh yeah, i deleted my original mockups... oops!!!

seriously though, i hear work will be done very soon. so hold your genitals!
*squish*

R

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 12:33 AM

Well I've never even seen the mock-ups and I'm excited.

My number one complaint re: themes for X is all the futuristic/techie homogeneity out there.

I'm new to theme-ing but bought SS b/c I wanted to run dxb, so far about the _only_ theme I've seen that I would describe as "organic".

I'm a big fan of the LOTR books and imagery, so any theme that combines this and "organic" in the same package is one I definitely want to see.

So ... is this one going in under the wire for the SS contest (or even one of the reasons that the SS contest deadline was extended)? How about the deletion of the no multiple variants rule? Sounds too coincidental.

Anyone have a fav LOTR desktop? I'm fond of the Lothlorien and Rivendell paintings on the official site. The latter is a wonderful "organic" composition.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 12:45 AM

He's got the mockups on: http://fearplatinum.ambitiouslemon.com/ Under themes
click one

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2004, 09:08 PM

i know the date wasn't pushed back due to M.E., nor was the multiple version rule removed. only one theme will be done in time if any.. sadly enough.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 11:49 PM

hmm?

eDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 12:12 AM

Well, the little doodads on the extreme L & R of the menu bar don't look so great (on my monitor, at least) but other than that, I like it. I'm really looking fwd to this one...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by eDave:
Well, the little doodads on the extreme L & R of the menu bar don't look so great (on my monitor, at least) but other than that, I like it. I'm really looking fwd to this one...
They are a bit clipped on that screen... Also they look just great on my crappie CRT.
click one

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2004, 12:00 PM

Those titlebar masks need work.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by brien:
Those titlebar masks need work.
Well it's hard to tell the way the screen is cropped...
click one

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2004, 01:56 PM

don't worry, i'm picky as sin and will fix anything mike doesn't catch.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 02:03 PM

don't worry, i'm picky as sin and will fix anything mike doesn't catch.
As I thought.
click one

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 4, 2004, 03:08 PM

Is that where you found your inspiration for Shire?

http://www.barrowdowns.com/welcome.asp

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 05:40 PM

wow, thats close, but no. i was just watching the last movie, and got the idea. i saw how pretty the movie was and wanted to make something like that for my mac. time for title bar images!

you figure out which are which.

FB Eye
Senior User
Feb 4, 2004, 05:59 PM

Wow, pretty tight

smeger
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 06:15 PM

Man, that Palantir titlebar makes me say "Unnnnhhh!"

(that's a good thing)
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Man, that Palantir titlebar makes me say "Unnnnhhh!"

(that's a good thing)
They are all great. too bad elvish wasn't done for the contest...
click one

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2004, 06:30 PM

im glad it will be done though

Numenor
Feb 4, 2004, 06:34 PM

Damn... someone let me know when these are done as I am going to have to get them. The only sad thing is that you aren't doing a Gondorian theme... I'd imagine it with Blues, Golds, and a lot of Silver and White. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to get them when they are done...
Mac OSX is like Windows XP... only good.
My Computer: OS 10.3.4, G4 733, 896 MB RAM, 152GB on two HDs

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 11:19 PM

i like the idea. ill see about getting it produced. (after all, elvish came about because someone asked for it on here, and i just decided to do palantir before someone asked for that).

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Numenor:
Damn... someone let me know when these are done as I am going to have to get them. The only sad thing is that you aren't doing a Gondorian theme... I'd imagine it with Blues, Golds, and a lot of Silver and White. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to get them when they are done...
Oh, hell, yeah! I say they should focus on getting these three versions done first. Then a second set; Gondor, Rohan, and Dwarvish.

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 12:39 AM

id say orchish, world of men, and ghoul would be a broader range of themes. and then perhaps finish with a single sorcery theme

orchish: nasty brown and green (somehow still useable..)

World of Men: browns, bluish metal

Ghoul: highly transparent green whispy crap

Sorcery: extremely white metal (if i can get it to work without ripping milk off too much.

sound good?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 01:13 AM

id say orchish, world of men, and ghoul would be a broader range of themes. and then perhaps finish with a single sorcery theme

orchish: nasty brown and green (somehow still useable..)

World of Men: browns, bluish metal

Ghoul: highly transparent green whispy crap

Sorcery: extremely white metal (if i can get it to work without ripping milk off too much.

sound good?
What's an Orch?

Not quite sure where the Ghoul and Sorcery are coming from in LOTR, but a Morgul one could be cool, or perhaps an Orthanc one.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 06:37 AM

On the topic of LOTR themes, anyone knows where I can find a good desktop pic of the One Ring?

Thanks
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by andretan:
On the topic of LOTR themes, anyone knows where I can find a good desktop pic of the One Ring?

Thanks
http://www.google.com/images?as_q=on...h=&safe=images

Numenor
Feb 5, 2004, 12:15 PM

The world of men shouldn't have the Browns IMO as you already have a theme of that type. That fits better with the Hobbits. Stick with the Blue, Gold, Silver and White...

Here's an example of the color scheme from the ROTK movie:

http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/...r=0&tn=48&ts=0
( Last edited by Numenor; Feb 5, 2004 at 12:34 PM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Numenor:
The world of men shouldn't have the Browns IMO as you already have a theme of that type. That fits better with the Hobbits. Stick with the Blue, Gold, Silver and White...

Here's an example of the color scheme from the ROTK movie:

http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/...r=0&tn=48&ts=0
Hobbits live in green hills, so green does work best for them.
click one

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2004, 12:41 AM

I can't wait for these themes, and I am not even that big of a LotR fan. They look great!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mediacoop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2004, 12:23 AM

so... any developments?

i cannot wait.

okay... i can wait. but, i don't want to wait.

please let it be soon.

Numenor
Feb 13, 2004, 01:17 AM

Actually... I just realized it, but for the Gondorian theme it should be Black, Silver, White and some dark Blue.

JoE950  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 02:59 AM

not yet kids. time will come. they will be available when the GuiStain site is launched.

Numenor
Feb 13, 2004, 06:08 PM

Is there any chance I could get on a mailing/PM list for when that happens. These themes are great and I really want to use them when they are released.

Forum Links
Forum Rules