Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Use Built-in iSight To Catch A Thief!

Use Built-in iSight To Catch A Thief!
schalliol
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 11:40 AM

A company called Orbicule has updated their software called Undercover, which is designed to help you track your stolen Mac, to work with built-in and external iSight cameras. What a great idea, and it's only $30. I think I'll find a way to pick it up for my MBP, as it seems like a great way to actually find the user! Read about the product and I think you'll find they've thought of most everything!

http://orbicule.com/undercover/
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

kitcho
Feb 7, 2006, 03:07 PM

just bought this inexpensive (35$ canadian) software for my powerbook. a few things you should do include enabling a basic account so the thieves can use the internet (to catch those bastards) and enabling an open firmware password so they cannot boot your computer off another disk. i dont have a camera but it has many features and i plan on taking my powerbook on vacation this summer and if the unthinkable were to happen i want to be protected. this is the 1st app i've bought for my mac and i've had it almost 9 months. 35$ seems like very little for some degree of theft protection on a 2000$ laptop.

thanks for the link!!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 03:29 PM

That site is...umm...very original in their design.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by kitcho
just bought this inexpensive (35$ canadian) software for my powerbook. a few things you should do include enabling a basic account so the thieves can use the internet (to catch those bastards) and enabling an open firmware password so they cannot boot your computer off another disk. i dont have a camera but it has many features and i plan on taking my powerbook on vacation this summer and if the unthinkable were to happen i want to be protected. this is the 1st app i've bought for my mac and i've had it almost 9 months. 35$ seems like very little for some degree of theft protection on a 2000$ laptop.

thanks for the link!!
An open firmware password is incredibly easy to get around.

"Barwaraaawww"

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
An open firmware password is incredibly easy to get around.
Yeah, the developer is banking on the fact that thieves rarely know much technical stuff about computers and are simply stealing to resell the machine as fast as possible.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 05:03 PM

They seem to have quite a bit of security in there. Certainly this doesn't make a machine invincible (and I know I could get around it), but it will stump 99% of the population.
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

kitcho
Feb 7, 2006, 05:18 PM

I bought it because i like the fact that it does not have a monthly fee. I know there are other programs which do the same thing, this program just seemed like the right choice for me.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 05:32 PM

For double the price you can go to safeware.com and insure your laptop. The only thing better than catching whoever stole it is getting a new one.

I think I might try them out though, do they have a discount for multiple macs?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
It appears so...

http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/r1.cgi?6FBYM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939
Thanks, that wasn't too hard to hard to find I should have done it myself.

They actually have a pretty fair price scheme including special student rates.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
For double the price you can go to safeware.com and insure your laptop. The only thing better than catching whoever stole it is getting a new one.

Well, actually, many people may not keep their data backed up (which they should), but more importantly, you might have some confidential data on there you don't want in others' hands. If you can get them quick enough, certain personal data might not have been copied to other locations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules