Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Please recommend a PCMCIA wireless 802.11G wireless card for older tiBook

Please recommend a PCMCIA wireless 802.11G wireless card for older tiBook
iamnotmad
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 12:22 PM

Looking for one for my wife - it's too bad airport extreme is totally different than the original. I'm just looking for one to slap into the side of her powerbook.

What is one that is natively compatible? I'd like to just go pick one up locally. The apple store has none.

Thanks for any help.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2006, 12:06 AM

this topic should be in the networking forum.

Anyway, any pmcia card that uses a broadcom chip will work in the Ti, provided the Ti has 10.3.4 and up, plus you'll have vastly better airport range. Here's a list of cards, so just choose one that has the broadcom chip:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emetaphyzx/Wireless.htm

note that mfg change chips at the drop of a hat, so you should make sure that wherever you buy the card has a good return policy.

kitcho
Apr 8, 2006, 12:43 AM

theres alot of inexpensive usb devices that would work fine. as far as pcmcia cards go, there is a wide variety. off the link that the guy above me posted, there is a link to the "ioxperts page". they make a pay-driver that you can demo but must pay in order to continue using it. there are free drivers but if u want the easy way the ioxperts is your best bet.

for the pcmcia card connection tool I use, i believe there is also a list of compatible cards.

http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/faq.html

scroll down the page a bit and you will see a list. i use a WAVELAN silver (11b)(also known as orinoco silver) it also has a jack for an external antenna (range extension).

either way, you need a seperate utility for a pcmcia card, the "AirPort" thing in the upper bar is for the internal AP/APX card. some cards can be purchased quite cheap. make sure the card you buy it compatible with the wireless security of your network as well. There is still no WPA support (yet) in respect to the Wirelessdriver utility. Only 64/128bit WEP / AirPort password

PeterS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 10:37 PM

My Buffalo WLICBG54A works great with my TiPB 867.
HTH

Scott Mackey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 10:42 AM

I have a Belkin Wireless G Plus card that I use with my PowerBook 667. For some reason it would not work until I updated to OS X 10.4.5; 10.4.0 wouldn't recognize it. Whatever, it was a little tricky finding an ethernet internet source to download the update but I eventually got there.

This page was an invaluable resource when I was shopping for a compatible card...
http://home.earthlink.net/~metaphyzx/Wireless.htm

Forum Links
Forum Rules