Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > sleep problems

sleep problems
WayzataXC05
Oct 16, 2007, 03:00 PM

I have a G4 Powerbook, and for some reason it won't fall asleep any more. I've tried various setting (normal, better performance and better energy savings as well as custom setting) and yet it still won't sleep. If i click apple then sleep it'll sleep but it won't go asleep on it own. Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks
Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 1gb ram, 64 VRAM----5G Ipod and a Shuffle

Cold Warrior
Oct 16, 2007, 10:56 PM

read up on a PMU reset. It may help.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2007, 11:56 PM

May need to do an archive and reinstall.

I also think the latest Tiger updates have been less than favorable on sleep and power management issues (again).

mfbernstein
Senior User
Oct 17, 2007, 01:19 PM

Have you tried with all external devices disconnected (USB and Cardbus in particular)? Some of these may prevent sleeping as well.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 18, 2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by WayzataXC05 View Post
I have a G4 Powerbook, and for some reason it won't fall asleep any more. I've tried various setting (normal, better performance and better energy savings as well as custom setting) and yet it still won't sleep. If i click apple then sleep it'll sleep but it won't go asleep on it own. Any ideas as to what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks
I'm assuming you use the custom function in energy saver and set your time to 1 minute to test it? Remember that the custom function has both a setting for battery power and plugged in.

This doesn't help you too much but I never used the auto sleep function. Instead I just use the shortcut option+apple+eject keys to put the computer to sleep manually whenever I know I'm leaving the computer for awhile. It's quicker than going to the apple icon and then sleep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules