Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Current MBPs - Any outstanding issues?

Current MBPs - Any outstanding issues?
naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2008, 11:24 AM

Hi guys

I'll need a machine within the next few weeks so I'll probably be getting a MBP despite the looming June updates.

How do you find your Penryn MBPs? I've read on Apple's own forums of yellowish screens, humming noises, keyboard and trackpad craziness. Is it safe to buy now?

Also, will the 2.5 GHz / 512MB graphics fare better in terms of longevity and virtualisation? I've read that the graphics card itself is not powerful enough to fully exploit the extra 256 MB, but I'm wondering about the combination with extra L2 cache and MHz.

Lastly, do you think it might be wiser to get a cheap laptop e.g. eee PC for basic note-taking till the June MBPs arrive?
( Last edited by naphtali; Apr 10, 2008 at 11:46 AM. )

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2008, 11:30 AM

What do you need it for? The current MBPs are great machines. If you need a computer now, get one. Whatever happens in June not change the fact that the current MBPs are fantastic. Of course, if you wait till June, and buy the Next Big Thing, by Christmas there will be something better. Don't get on that treadmill!

naphtali  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2008, 11:36 AM

@peeb: Wow thanks for the really fast reply!

I'm actually not too concerned about the update anymore; I know it's coming but my term's starting soon so I can't really wait for it unless I get a cheap stop-gap machine (which might have extra merit as a backup machine?)

Coming from a G4 1.33GHz, the current machines will definitely be a huge step-up, and I'm perfectly comfortable with buying them.

However, I am worried after reading quite a few threads on hardware issues with the MBPs. Are they still around in the latest batches?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2008, 11:48 AM

I have zero hardware issues with my 2.4 GHz 15" MBP.

There are a few things I'd like to see changed in the overall design like removable optical, different location for the lock slot, docking station port, eSATA, MB-like latch, more easily swappable HDD, etc. But apart from those things I'd say the current design is not only sexy, but solid and proven.

ibook_steve
Apr 10, 2008, 01:54 PM

As you may already be aware, people really only post when they have problems. Reading forums (including this one!) definitely gives a skewed impression. How boring would it be to read post after post saying "My machine is awesome! No problems whatsoever!" (not that we don't get some of those around here!).

Just get what you can afford. You'll be happy you did.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

quietjim
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2008, 03:04 PM

I just bought a new MBP 15" 250 Gig HD, matte screen; I was coming from a Powerbook 15"; let migration assistant handle the transfer even though I usually like to start fresh (I needed NO downtime). I have to say, first, this is the easiest transition to a new machine I have ever had and second, the difference is night and day. It feels so fast--of course new machines often do. I like the keyboard, I'm still getting used to tapping and gesturing on the mouse pad (I seem to tap when I don't mean to). But I would say go ahead. Oh yes: no dead pixels.
Timex Sinclair . IIe > SE > 6100 >
520c > Pismo > PB 15.2 > MacBook Pro 15.2 2.5 GHz

daybreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2008, 08:12 PM

I bought my Penryn 2.4 MBP in early March and it has been trouble free and absolutely awesome. It has been rock solid so far and I am impressed with the battery life. Just installed 4gb of RAM today and i am loving it.
Mac Pro 8 core 2.8ghz 8gb RAM
Penryn Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 2gb Ram
Academy of Art University

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2008, 09:36 PM

The latest MBPs are great machines. The only issue I had was just fixed with the recent firmware update.

naphtali  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2008, 10:45 PM

Thanks all! Will be joining you guys soon Really can't wait

@ibook_steve: I sure do; just wanted to be sure cos this will be my honey for the next few years

dankar
Apr 11, 2008, 01:46 AM

On my 2.5ghz 512mb vram MBP, the LEDs backlight had banding once (sort of like a horizontal strap pattern) and today during start-up, the LED did not light-up till the password key-in screen. I am sure this is an isolated issue. The next time, it happens again, will call Apple.

Other than that, it is a beauty to work on. Image editing on Lightroom and Photoshop are a breeze. Get the 512mb vram option, that should future-proof your MBP for awhile.

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2008, 10:59 PM

I have both the penryn 2.4 and previous gen 2.2. The penryn is MUCH cooler-- I can leave it on my lap and it never gets hot. My older 2.2 gets rediculously hot. Other than that I don't notice any other differences. Ok so the new trackpad is cool, not a necessity but more useful and handy than I thought it would be. In fact I miss the 'pinch' trackpad ability in preview when looking at pdfs on my old 2.2. I am very happy with the penryn.

naphtali  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2008, 04:26 AM

Good to know

@winterlinda - kept in the basement for using Macs?

@dankar - does it really make a noticeable difference? I've read on the forums that the graphics card itself is not good enough to take advantage of all the ram. It's quite a lot more money for sure. That said, I'm curious about the extra L2 cache.
( Last edited by naphtali; Apr 12, 2008 at 04:57 AM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2008, 06:52 AM

I've got the June 07 MBP and so far (knocks on wood) no problems. Great computer, and I have absolutely no complaints. As I posted in another thread here, this puppy is my main machine and I travel from time to time, infrequently now it seems. Its a great workhorse doing everything I ask of it

Cold Warrior
Apr 12, 2008, 10:41 AM

October 2006 MBP. Works great, has held up great.

naphtali  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2008, 08:13 PM

Got my MBP on Tue and everything has been great! Bootcamp and the virtualization programs are really awesome

osiris24x
Apr 23, 2008, 04:40 AM

I wouldn't worry about the coming updates too much, rev 1 products tend to have problems anyway. I'd get a MBP now, instead. It's several revs old and is rock solid.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules