Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen sometimes blank after waking up from sleep

Screen sometimes blank after waking up from sleep
SleePyCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2008, 07:31 PM

Sometimes after I open my Macbook pro, the display does not come on. I can hear the computer working and running. Other times I will open it up and it comes right up soon as it finishes the cd check I hear it do.

Anyone know why this would happen?
I have installed the latest firmwares that came out for the macbook pro.
I don't usually shut down my macbook, I just close the lid at night and then open it the next day.

MacDevildog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2008, 02:51 PM

this happens to me all the time. the apple store has been trying to fix this for me, they have replaced my logic (mother) board, batter, and cooling fans. Initially the battery replacement fixed the problem for a bout a week. then it has become worse.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2008, 03:41 PM

Mine does this to me from time to time, too. Not sure what the problem is, but the recent firmware updates have made it better (i.e. less often).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 05:33 PM

Do you run the iStat Pro widget? If so, try removing it.

Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 06:20 PM

There's already a thread about this... Remove iStat Pro. If problem persists, call Applecare. If problem persists, talk to Genius Bar. They probably won't do anything. Just my frustrating experience.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2008, 07:19 PM

Just to be sure, but you aren't plugging peripherals such as a mouse or keyboard in before opening the MBP? If so, this causes the laptop to shut off the internal monitor. It will detect the internal monitor then if you press F8.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 07:58 PM

F7 actually.

SleePyCode  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the info and glad its not just me.

I am not running iStat (I never heard of it until you mentioned it). But From the sounds of it at macupdate.com I do run "Hardware Monitor Lite" all the time in my menubar.
I assume that they could be connected if the issue is how its getting the information from the sensors?
If it is, I can work around not using it. I like to keep it up there just for my cpu temp to know when it spikes. Some programs I run sometimes cause it to shoot through the roof or even some websites when I stream videos will cause it. I have to either quit programs or quickly pop out my battery to help cool it (buying those notebook fans don't really work since the intake isn't on the bottom).

I don't usually have a keyboard or mouse plugged in. When I do I have it on a table with the battery taken out and playing a game. I unhook it right after the game as well before I put it to sleep (otherwise it wakes back up again).

I will have to give the F7/8 trick a try. Does this apply if you have changed it so you must hit the FN key to use the special functions or do you have to hit FN then F7/8?

The bad part is I am very far from an apple store, but the waste of gas would be cheaper than buying a brand new macbook pro (even though they are faster now )

Forum Links
Forum Rules