Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Sprint, Verizon repeat aims to allow FaceTime on all tiers

Sprint, Verizon repeat aims to allow FaceTime on all tiers
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 13, 2012, 06:08 AM

(Updated with news of device support) Sprint and Verizon are repeating earlier statements that unlike AT&T, their subscribers will be able to use FaceTime over cellular without upgrading plans. AT&T is forcing users to move to more expensive shared data plans if they want 3G/4G FaceTime, in spite of similar apps being unrestricted. The difference may be that FaceTime is integrated into iOS, making it more easy to access and thus more likely to consume bandwidth.

Update: AT&T and Verizon have added that FaceTime over cellular will be supported for any device Apple has enabled with the technology. That means that the iPhone 4S and third-generation iPad should be supported as well, not just the iPhone 5. The option is a part of iOS 6, which will go live on September 19th.

LenE
Sep 13, 2012, 07:35 AM

I moved from Verizon to AT&T, because local coverage was better for me and the iPhone didn't exist at the time on Verizon. At that time, I was happy, because my new AT&T plan cost the same as the dumb phone plan I was leaving on Verizon.

I discovered the GSM benefit of being able to talk on the phone at the same time as I was searching the internet. This was great, but the AT&T network in my area got crushed with the influx of other people like me, and the service degraded rapidly. In fairness, it has gotten better lately with their pseudo-4G rolling out to even my rural crevice.

Times have changed since I made the switch, and AT&T reverted to stupid. They really can't help themselves. The value proposition of their new plans (4S and forward) just plain suck. As an exercise in frustration, ask them what it costs to re-activate an iPhone 3GS that is well out of contract. Surprise! It cost the exact same as any subsidized on-contract iPhone!

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2012, 08:28 AM

When are we gonna learn the simple truth? ALL carriers suck, overcharge and are constantly loooking for an excuse to jack up their rates......one way or another they will suck ALL users dry of money, time and mental stability........

here's a thought....since the obamu administration wants to control everything, they should just take over the cell phone industry & mandate low-cost, affordable access TO EVERY SERVICE everywhere for everyone, and subsidize it via a tax increase. Then call it oBaMuCom
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 13, 2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bowwowman View Post
When are we gonna learn the simple truth? ALL carriers suck, overcharge and are constantly loooking for an excuse to jack up their rates......one way or another they will suck ALL users dry of money, time and mental stability........
here's a thought....since the obamu administration wants to control everything, they should just take over the cell phone industry & mandate low-cost, affordable access TO EVERY SERVICE everywhere for everyone, and subsidize it via a tax increase. Then call it oBaMuCom
You know, it is getting cheaper to get your own satellite in space nowadays.... look at the skycube kickstarter project. Put "get my own satellite in space" on your to-do list. You won't be the only one...

Forum Links
Forum Rules